3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake Light on, urgent please!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 10:56 PM

Brake Light on, urgent please!!!!!!!

I just carried the car to the carwash and sprayed the engine off with the HOT water with the car running. Anyway, now it idles very low and will stall on occasion. My brake light is also on. I searched, but every thread recomended checking the brake fluid. It is fine. Its full.
Im in a hurry because someone is test driving the car tommorow and I dont want a annoying brake light on when they are driving the car. I know everything is fine, I didnt have a single problem before spraying the car off so I know everything should be fine. I checked the electrical plug to the resivoir and it appears fine.
HELP please, I dont want the lady to think Im selling her a lemmon:-(
Old 01-11-2003, 11:56 PM

UPDATE:

Now, my VTC's are clicking again. I have NO power going to the VTC's at all. I tried regrouding it, didnt work. Tried getting a reading on the wire you splice into, and NOTHING.Even tried splicing the wire, and touching it against a ground to make a spark and nothing. Oh well
WOOHOO, what a great idea spraying off the engine, anyone else ever had a problem like this?
Old 01-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you can see what happens if you just let it sit overnight...I think this has happen to other people on here before and once everything dries the car runs okay again.

but above all, just spraying water all over the engine(whether on or off)is extrememly dangerous to the motor!! how long and how much did you spray onto it??
Old 01-12-2003, 12:12 AM

I have sprayed off all my cars, even carbed ones without a single problem. This is the only one that has ever given me any problem.
Anyway, I was at the carwash, sprayed on my degreaser and then sprayed it off with the hot water while the engine was running. I just let the sprayer go at low, dint sqweeze the handle at all. Sprayed just enough to knock off the biggest spots of grease. I didnt think it would hurt, lol.
ANyway, this sucks. I hope it does fix itself.
Oh, and my brake light doesnt come on when I turn the key on/engine off position. If I lift/engage my e-brake it comes on key on/engine off. So, I am fairly confident that it is not my e-brake or the sensor that knows its engaged, but has something to do with the brake fluid sensor. I know it is not low also.
Oh yea, and what is the deal with my VTC wire? I cant get it to stop making the noise :-( It was working perfect before spraying off the engine, so I wouldnt think for some reason its ungrounded. Maybe I screwed up the ECU?
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2003, 09:31 AM
STFU n00b!

you shorted out something in the alternator with the water.... for future reference, you should NEVER do that while the car is running. too many electrical gremlins like this can happen. spray it down with a cold engine and the car off, let it sit a few minutes, then start it up and let it dry from self-heating.

as for the problem, let the alternator dry out and see if the lights go off. if not, then check and make sure the alternator belt didn't slip off or snap or something and hope you didn't fry the alternator. VE alternators are about $200 at discount parts houses.. not cheap.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:38 AM

Well, the rubber boot that goes over the VTC plug is torn and may have let water into it. I am gonig to buy some compressed air and spray it out if it didnt dry over night.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:47 AM
STFU n00b!

doubt if that will solve the problem.. just unplug the VTCs and blow them out and plug them back in.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Brake Light on, urgent please!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Slither
I just carried the car to the carwash and sprayed the engine off with the HOT water with the car running. Anyway, now it idles very low and will stall on occasion. My brake light is also on. I searched, but every thread recomended checking the brake fluid. It is fine. Its full.
Im in a hurry because someone is test driving the car tommorow and I dont want a annoying brake light on when they are driving the car. I know everything is fine, I didnt have a single problem before spraying the car off so I know everything should be fine. I checked the electrical plug to the resivoir and it appears fine.
HELP please, I dont want the lady to think Im selling her a lemmon:-(
Old 01-12-2003, 11:04 PM

All it ended up being was the VTC plugs got wet and shorted, blew the fuse, HAHA
Who would have thought the VTC's and the brake light would have worked off the same fuse.
Thanks to the wiring schematic at craig's page, I got it fixed in no time

Thanks to all that gave advice!
ps, the engine looks AWSOME, I will have to get pics!