3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Failed Emissions Today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:15 PM

Failed Emissions Today!!!!

Ok im new to the board, but I took my Max to get inspected today and I failed my emissions. The HC and CO were way higher than they were supposed to be and when i drive i have to roll down the windows because the smell of Carbon and Gas is terrible, has anyone ever heard of these problem before? My car also make a little knocking sound and feels alittle shaky. Would this be a sign i need a tune up or what. havent gotten a tune up since i had the car and i have had it for about 20,000 Miles it has 130,000 on it now!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:30 PM

Hmm.....well clearly you're car is running rich. Now, I'm not sure why you smell so much stuff in you're car. Even if your car was puttering away running real bad, all that crap should go out the tailpipe. You may have a leak somewhere in the exhaust and you're catching a whiff of that when it gets sucked in by the heater.

I'd say start with a tune up first. Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, check to make sure the timing is set to 15 degrees before top dead center. Go back to the place and see if your score improves. Also, if your car is shaking at idle, you may have one cylinder not firing, thus sending pure fuel right out the tail pipe. That can either be caused by a desperated need for a tune up or a bad fuel injector.

Hope this was of help.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:19 PM

Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

Originally posted by BurgandyMAX
Ok im new to the board, but I took my Max to get inspected today and I failed my emissions. The HC and CO were way higher than they were supposed to be and when i drive i have to roll down the windows because the smell of Carbon and Gas is terrible, has anyone ever heard of these problem before? My car also make a little knocking sound and feels alittle shaky. Would this be a sign i need a tune up or what. havent gotten a tune up since i had the car and i have had it for about 20,000 Miles it has 130,000 on it now!
yeah..learn to take care of the car...
Old 01-17-2003, 08:17 PM

Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

Originally posted by Sudesh

yeah..learn to take care of the car...
I know how to take car of the car thank you very much, but when the car isnt used for 3 months, I guess things do tend to happen, unless you had 1600 to give me for a rebuilt tranny
Old 01-17-2003, 08:24 PM

You could have a leak in you catalytic converter? Because, I'm just guessing that since the cat. is pretty close to the drivers seat, it could be that? Just my two cents.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 AM

Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

I failed my emissions.
i have to roll down the windows because the smell of Carbon and Gas is terrible
My car also make a little knocking sound and feels a little shaky.
Would this be a sign i need a tune up or what.

havent gotten a tune up since i had the car and i have had it for about 20,000

And then you say:

I know how to take car of the car thank you very much

Yeah, i don't think i need to say anything more.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

Good for you, The car is a backup car, why dont you come and fix it for me since you seemed so concerend

And then you say:

Yeah, i don't think i need to say anything more.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:04 AM

Finally got my car back after it has been in the shop for 3 weeks due to my stupid mechanic and bad snow here. All my problems were diagnosed. I had a bad oxygen sensor, needed a new air filter. I also had to get a new Ignition Wire set, Ignition Rotor, and a Distributor cap.. ran me about 500.00 but happy to have my baby back
Old 02-15-2003, 11:02 AM
rcy

Finally got my car back after it has been in the shop for 3 weeks due to my stupid mechanic and bad snow here. All my problems were diagnosed. I had a bad oxygen sensor, needed a new air filter. I also had to get a new Ignition Wire set, Ignition Rotor, and a Distributor cap.. ran me about 500.00 but happy to have my baby back
Good for you dude. I guess you passed the e-test 2nd time around?

I'm sure all that advice from Sudesh helped...
If you've got nothing useful to say......
Old 02-15-2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by rcy

Good for you dude. I guess you passed the e-test 2nd time around?

I'm sure all that advice from Sudesh helped...
If you've got nothing useful to say......
I guess Sudesh forgot how bulletproof these max's are. The fact is 100km on a tune-up is not unusual. Why fix it if it ain't broken!!

Martin 90SE 5sp
Old 02-15-2003, 05:12 PM

because without proper and on-time tuneup...you risk the chance of faster engine wear, etc.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd rather spend the cash on preventative maintenance than wait until my engine detonates.

Old 02-16-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan
because without proper and on-time tuneup...you risk the chance of faster engine wear, etc.
Yea I got the car at 109,000 Miles, If i would have known I definatly would have gotten a tune-up, i thought the dealer did that ****, but oh well. Im glad my baby is back on the road and dont look for anymore problems. Except now i am at college and the 2 feet of snow we just got here isnt Doing me too well...
Old 02-16-2003, 01:02 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

I know how to take car of the car thank you very much, but when the car isnt used for 3 months, I guess things do tend to happen, unless you had 1600 to give me for a rebuilt tranny
You do eh?

Hmmmm... O2 sensor; distributor cap, rotor, and wires; air filter...
could have ALL been changed at home with TWO hand tools (17mm open end wrench, and a #2 phillips screwdriver) in less than an hour, for a total cost of under $200.
how bout them apples?
Old 02-16-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

hehehe...some people are quite dumb.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:21 PM

Or just don't know any better.... speaking of O2 sensors, I have to find out where mine goes....

*runs off to find manual*

Old 02-16-2003, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

Originally posted by Matt93SE

You do eh?

Hmmmm... O2 sensor; distributor cap, rotor, and wires; air filter...
could have ALL been changed at home with TWO hand tools (17mm open end wrench, and a #2 phillips screwdriver) in less than an hour, for a total cost of under $200.
how bout them apples?
NO actually some people dont have the time... How bout them apples... I mean you are all more then welcome to do it, ill pay you a fair price.....
Old 02-16-2003, 08:44 PM
STFU n00b!

with all due respect, then how do you get around while the car is in the shop? and how much time does it take to get the car to and from the shop, as well as time spent on the phone dealing with them, and working to pay the money?

there's a lot of time spent that could have been used better elsewhere, but that's only my opinion.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:34 AM

Son of a.... stupid Haynes manual. Matt, wheres the O2 sensor located??? This stupid POS Haynes thing doesn't show it and I don't have the fundage to get an FSM right now.

Old 02-17-2003, 01:03 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
Son of a.... stupid Haynes manual. Matt, wheres the O2 sensor located??? This stupid POS Haynes thing doesn't show it and I don't have the fundage to get an FSM right now.

its on your y pipe on the pass. side close to where it meets the cat.

get under there and you will see it.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

NO actually some people dont have the time... How bout them apples... I mean you are all more then welcome to do it, ill pay you a fair price.....

You're dumb, how bout them apples? Stop wasting money on your car, put it into a good education, you need it. If you're already going to school, start paying attention.

"damn sudesh..that was totally uncalled for!!" ...yeah..suck it.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by awsm66
its on your y pipe on the pass. side close to where it meets the cat.

get under there and you will see it.

Thanks for the help man.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Failed Emissions Today!!!!

You're dumb, how bout them apples? Stop wasting money on your car, put it into a good education, you need it. If you're already going to school, start paying attention.

"damn sudesh..that was totally uncalled for!!" ...yeah..suck it.

LOL, amazing how people want to start fights in posts. Good Education?? University Of Penn Law school isnt a good education??? I dunno even know why i am explaining myself to you. LOL. Why dont you fix my car, since you are such a smarta**..
Old 02-18-2003, 08:53 PM
STFU n00b!

I know lots of people who are still morons that have graduated from college- with law, engineering, education degrees even!

I have one sister that is a high school teacher (with a masters degree) and can't even form proper, complete sentences!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:52 PM

Just because you've graduated doesn't mean you're educated.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
I know lots of people who are still morons that have graduated from college- with law, engineering, education degrees even!

I have one sister that is a high school teacher (with a masters degree) and can't even form proper, complete sentences!

Now that makes sense....... Lets think about that... 19 years of school, but yet i am not educated... SAT's Lsat's, come one lets just stick to talking about cars now....
Old 02-18-2003, 10:13 PM

Dude, chill. No one is personally attacking you.... well... except maybe Sudesh.

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
This isn't life or death. It is maxima.org!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:58 AM
STFU n00b!

Now that makes sense....... Lets think about that... 19 years of school, but yet i am not educated... SAT's Lsat's, come one lets just stick to talking about cars now....
sitting in a classroom for 19 years doesn't MAKE you educated. that just says you've sat in a classroom for 19 years. I've been sitting there for 20 at this point and STILL don't consider myself educated. I'm a Sr. in Electrical Engineering... I've been in college for seven years (gotta take some time off to party, don't ya?! ), but I still can't build a complete design from start to finish. I can do basic circuits and program chips, but that doesn't mean I can build a computer or a VCR.

It's an inherent failure of the school system. They force everybody to go through at least middle school, thus the schools only make them meet minimum requirements- which means even mentally retarded people can get a high school diploma after enough time in a classroom. (And no, I'm not knocking them. they were born that way, so you can't hold it against them.) But you're confusing having a degree with being smart. two completely different things.
Much of my education was given to me outside the classroom by people that never graduated college, OR high school for that matter. My research engineer at work didn't make it past 6th grade. he can barely read, yet he can do magic when it comes to making a pair of 500MHz processors talk to each other and spit out useful data. In the three years I've worked there, he's taught me more about circuits and how to build them that I've learned in four years of college education.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:23 PM

Here here Matt..