3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New VG CAI Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

New VG CAI Idea

While installing Crazy4maxima's CAI Izzy and I came up with the idea of just runing the pipe straight from the intake manifold to the hole in the fender (runing it paralel to the front of the car.) Aside from having to move that fuse box thats there and mabey the battery back alittle and also adding wire to the MAF sensor so it could reach to its new location It wouldnt be to hard. And I think the gains would be alot more than the regular CAI since the piping is about 1' shorter and it will have only on bend instead of 3 with the traditional setup. Also youd be runing the piping directly behind the radiator fans and the grille area so the air wouldnt heat up as much as if it had to run back towards the car along side the engine. The piping wouldnt be that hard since the Accord kit we used on Izzy's car had the 90º bend needed and the rest of the pipe could be cut as needed. So I figure the cost being $60-$80 dollars

If there is anyone in the NY area with a VG and NO intake (sine the hole wont be in the same spot and I want to DYNO before and after) and would like to try this send me a PM.

I will post a pic below of the way I think it would look (pic is of chris91se's car)
Old 01-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

here is the pic

If anyone can think of any possible draw-backs please post them.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

there are 2 or 3 guys that have done this alreadey...I think Canadianmaxima and mtcookson. I'm just scared to mess with the MAF wires...plus like the look of the current version.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

canadian maxima just put a pop charger right after the MAF which was attached directly to the Intae manifold. this is a CAI setup and the filter will still sit in the fender well.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:12 AM

if it works it looks like the airflow would be more direct towards the throttle body and getting a better flow which probably equals better power. Hope this project works out because I think it will be very benficial to the VG owners.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

This is something i've thought about and measured and was going to do. Like da-max said, i wasn't feeling the modification of moving the MAF.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by D-sta
if it works it looks like the airflow would be more direct towards the throttle body and getting a better flow which probably equals better power. Hope this project works out because I think it will be very benficial to the VG owners.
yeah its only got one 90º bend right by the filter and thats it. no turns, and as far as extending the MAF wires its not hard at all, and if I did make a "kit for this I would incluse everything needed for it."
Old 01-21-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by N34JZ

yeah its only got one 90º bend right by the filter and thats it. no turns, and as far as extending the MAF wires its not hard at all, and if I did make a "kit for this I would incluse everything needed for it."
like a wiring harness for the maf adapter, if the the harness would be included in this kit you would be making it would help sales a lot.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I dont think it would be hard to find the female end but finding th male end to make a harness would be kinda hard, Ill have to look into that. Even so its only splicing the wires and adding more wire inbetween
Old 01-21-2003, 01:16 PM

so basically, i can cut the wires, extend and reconnect withoput any damage? I think it's a good idea, plus it looks a lot neater.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:33 PM

I dont think it would be hard to find the female end but finding th male end to make a harness would be kinda hard, Ill have to look into that. Even so its only splicing the wires and adding more wire inbetween
so basically, i can cut the wires, extend and reconnect without any damage? I think it's a good idea, plus it looks a lot neater.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok not sure this is true or not...but i read somewhere the MAF should be a X amount of distance away from the TB and that distance from stock shouldn't be changed?

i'd say test it out before you wrap everything up. also voltage is very sensitive with the MAF so use good wires and insulate everything.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by DanNY
ok not sure this is true or not...but i read somewhere the MAF should be a X amount of distance away from the TB and that distance from stock shouldn't be changed?

i'd say test it out before you wrap everything up. also voltage is very sensitive with the MAF so use good wires and insulate everything.
I believe you're correct on the distance Dan but i'm not sure if stock is as close it can get...

As far as wiring goes I can just see some people cutting and splicing...could get ugly
Old 01-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

re:

well if I made a kit, I would include all the proper wire, connectors, etc..., my brothers an electrician and he's pretty good with electical engineering, so I always ask him first anyway.

as far as the distance goes, that wont be a problem because we can get it as close or as far as needed by measuring the distance from the TB it is stock and set the distance according to that.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:40 PM

Re: re:

well if I made a kit, I would include all the proper wire, connectors, etc..., my brothers an electrician and he's pretty good with electical engineering, so I always ask him first anyway.

as far as the distance goes, that wont be a problem because we can get it as close or as far as needed by measuring the distance from the TB it is stock and set the distance according to that.
true. but picturing it in my mind without actually going outside and looking (where it's 15degrees btw!) I'm not sure if it will actually be long enough to get to a point on the piping equal to the stock distance, if you get what I'm saying. I could be wrong, but that's just what I'm picturing. What exactly are the consequences of making the wires longer than stock?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Large Member

Has any one considered rigging up a sort of short ram-air. Basically, what I thought of would work the same way as the Impreza WRX ram-air works. You'd have to fabricate your an airbox from scratch to be air tight and it would need to be placed in an area where it would sit flush with the hood, with the hood in the closed position. Personally, I'd go with a Z31 hoodscoop, since they are very discreet and barely stand out. It really wouldn't be that hard, and the hood is a high-pressure area when you consider aerodynamics, so I think it would result in a decent gain (much better airflow when compared to in the fender with a CAI). The most important thing is making the seal between the hood and the airbox completely air tight. Imagine going 100+mph and having it be open to the engine bay. I can't even imagine how that would screw up the aerodynamics! It's not like there would be a huge gain with n/a but, something similar to this on a Vg30et swapped 3rd gen would probably be pretty beneficial.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

one other thing to think about is room for the filter. b/c you're going in perpendicular instead of at an angle you might screw yourself out of space or need a smaller filter...

the distance from the current MAF position to the TB is pretty far considering the bends etc. lophix is right...there might not be enough length there..
Old 01-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: re:

Originally posted by lophix

true. but picturing it in my mind without actually going outside and looking (where it's 15degrees btw!) I'm not sure if it will actually be long enough to get to a point on the piping equal to the stock distance, if you get what I'm saying. I could be wrong, but that's just what I'm picturing. What exactly are the consequences of making the wires longer than stock?
longer the wire higher the resistance.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: re:

yeah my brother is a electrical engineer too..IEEE and all..etc etc. it's not that too difficult..you or your brother need to make a molex or GM waterproof connection. easier said than done..but is all that time and effort worth it? that's the main question.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I think the length would be close but Im not sure since I dont have the car in front of me. As for having the filter fit i know what you mean, but Ive had tighter spaces to put the filter (in other cars) and I got it to work, plus if I cut the end on an angle I can angle the filter a little bit ( I had to do it with Izzy's to get it to fit) but I actually think this way will make it fit better since I can put the hole exactly where I want it, since I will almost be working with as much pipe as I want so If I have to pull it in an inch or out 2" I can work with it.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: re:

.but is all that time and effort worth it? that's the main question.
well we'll have to see.... the cost will be lower than the WSP or PR kit and if the HP is equal or greater then I think it would be worth it, for some people it will be easier to just pay the money and have it be perfect but then there are some people who like to try different things out and enjoy doing stuff like this.

Im not looking to get rich with this, I'd do it at cost to the people that wanted to do it, I like doing stuff like this so its more of something to do than anything.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Large Member

WSP, that's a joke. I ordered my CAI back in August 2002!!! I keep getting the run-around. Dallas is a nice guy but damnit, that many months is ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Soul Fly

yeah its only got one 90º bend right by the filter and thats it. no turns, and as far as extending the MAF wires its not hard at all, and if I did make a "kit for this I would incluse everything needed for it." [/B][/QUOTE]

jason, if you were to make a kit, i'd be one of the 1st to buy. NICE PHOTO EDITING!

Old 01-21-2003, 07:59 PM

hm well on the VEs its pretty darn close to the TB; unless the MAF placements depends on each engine
Old 01-21-2003, 11:42 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats a great design for the VG IMO. It would maintain a similar total volume of air between the filter element and intake manifold as OEM which would keep a balanced power/torque spread. I'd have preferred that design over the PRCAI I had. The MAF rewire could be a concern if rushed but a quality job should be ok.

As for removing ALL piping having any advantages over even the stock airbox, make me hater #1. Taking away all the intake piping generally reduces throttle response because the engine has no reserves of air to draw from when it needs it. Instead it has to first draw a gulp of hot air through the filter the instant you accelerate. Stock (and good aftermarket) intake systems are engineered to hold a set volume of filtered air relative to the engines size to among other things, IMPROVE throttle response. And lets be honest, theres no worse place in the bay for a pod filter or MAF sensor than directly behind the radiator/fans and right next to the exhaust manifold.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:10 AM

mtcookson did it, there are pics somewhere.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:00 AM

wow it looks like jason and my project might come true. Jay i would be interested in testing the theory out since its been our project.. and heck i'll try anything for the maxima .org community. but i understand that you nee a stock dyno and after porject dyno..

but heck it looks like the thing is possible. and as far as the maf sensor we would probably get a male female extention custome made. nice job photo chopping the pic. it looks sweet. imho i think that is the cleanest look.. plus if we make these kits.. i dont see it being more than 100

i baught my accord kit on e-bay for 29 and 20 bucks in home depot parts.. so total was around 50 bucks but if this kit was made for the vg, custome work, then i really see this being inexpensive.

jay when you get a chance lets talk some things out..

VG owners, this might be possible for all and will fit all vgs... please stay tuned to latest news.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
wow it looks like jason and my project might come true. Jay i would be interested in testing the theory out since its been our project.. and heck i'll try anything for the maxima .org community. but i understand that you nee a stock dyno and after porject dyno..

but heck it looks like the thing is possible. and as far as the maf sensor we would probably get a male female extention custome made. nice job photo chopping the pic. it looks sweet. imho i think that is the cleanest look.. plus if we make these kits.. i dont see it being more than 100

i baught my accord kit on e-bay for 29 and 20 bucks in home depot parts.. so total was around 50 bucks but if this kit was made for the vg, custome work, then i really see this being inexpensive.

jay when you get a chance lets talk some things out..

VG owners, this might be possible for all and will fit all vgs... please stay tuned to latest news.

*bump* i think that jasons and my idea will be testing soon. since i got a stock vg 5spd as a part max i will see if we can toy around with the fitting and what not, got nothing to lose since its already a junker maxima. next couple of weeks we can get this off the ground, what you guys think, everything from fitting to the maf wiring, to the cost of making this possible will up to date in the next couple of weeks. also performance will be a main focus, and also the sound
Old 04-27-2003, 06:42 AM

wouldnt you have to move the battery back some or is the cai going to go through another hole instead
Old 04-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by pest2001
wouldnt you have to move the battery back some or is the cai going to go through another hole instead
theres enough room, but we'll work out all the details.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:59 PM
No turbo, no care!

Yes this project is easily done. I used 3" inner diameter PVC from Home Depot and it works beautifuly. I did a write up on how to do this whole project for $40 including the air filter, I'll have to find a link..... and no, extending the MAF wires are not a problem, you just need to know how to solder.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What about placement in the front of the car? For those that may eventually go turbo and have to worry about fitting an intercooler, piping, etc?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Banned

i've been thinking of this for a little while now....and i cant think of anything really going wrong. it would for sure make a difference in the power from the previous cai setup. although fitment might be an issue for those with the e36 conversion?
but i think i'm going to try it out and see for myself what kinda of gains it will give over the original cai setup.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I also think that this is a good idea. The only problem I had with wanting to do something like this is the wiring. I hear the wiring harnesses are expensive, and it's not a good idea to go around cutting them if you're not 100% sure what you're doing... so I didn't But I wonder how big of filter you could use...