3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

coil overs

does ne one know if i can put them on .. and if so where i can buy some ....
Old 01-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there aren't any currently available on the market, but its been talked about much. Try searching on the topic by pushing the search link in the upper right corner of your screen.

BTW, its been discussed about possibly using Stanza coilovers on our cars, but nobody has stepped up to the plate on that one.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: coil overs

It would definetly be a custom job. Be prepared to shell out some $$$

Try this

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending
Old 01-27-2003, 05:52 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
there aren't any currently available on the market, but its been talked about much. Try searching on the topic by pushing the search link in the upper right corner of your screen.

BTW, its been discussed about possibly using Stanza coilovers on our cars, but nobody has stepped up to the plate on that one.
Yeah, I remember SOMEONE talking about it a time ago. Maybe when I get my income tax check, I'll give it a go. Heck, I'll try anything ONCE!
Old 01-27-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe

Yeah, I remember SOMEONE talking about it a time ago. Maybe when I get my income tax check, I'll give it a go. Heck, I'll try anything ONCE!
If you do decide to do the coil-overs, I think that it should work because the suspension set-up on the Stanza is exactly the same as the 3rd gen maxima. The front is the same and the rear is the exact same, I know since I recently changed the front struts and rear cartridges on a stanza and it was identical to my maxima.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:15 PM

nobody has stepped up to the plate on that one.
....i beg to differ without offering any premises or conclusions...yet. Let's just say, they cost quite a bit (a bit being upwards of $800) and handle like 450lb pressure to budge the coils, while regulars require 150lbs of pressure to compress.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also beg to differ. I was talking about the Stanza coilovers as a direct replacement. I know what and who you are referring to though
Old 01-27-2003, 06:26 PM

I also beg to differ. I was talking about the Stanza coilovers as a direct replacement. I know what and who you are referring to though
Old 01-27-2003, 09:44 PM
STFU n00b!

So who makes Stanza coilovers?
Old 01-27-2003, 11:42 PM

Last I checked Ground Control did. I heard there were like, 2 Stanzas that did it and it cost em about $800. If you guys are really interested you really should call GC and find out about getting one done for our cars. I'm looking to rework my whole suspension right now, and I'm not too sure what the deal is with coilovers VS. struts and springs. And hey... if it's a significant improvement, I am in. Honestly tho, if we tried to swing this, how many would actually be interested in buying? Just not the idea that we can do it.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
Last I checked Ground Control did. I heard there were like, 2 Stanzas that did it and it cost em about $800. If you guys are really interested you really should call GC and find out about getting one done for our cars. I'm looking to rework my whole suspension right now, and I'm not too sure what the deal is with coilovers VS. struts and springs. And hey... if it's a significant improvement, I am in. Honestly tho, if we tried to swing this, how many would actually be interested in buying? Just not the idea that we can do it.
They told me and a few others I know that there was basically no way in hell that they would do coil-overs. Fine with me. Even if they did, they wouldn't be good for anything but 'slamming' the ride anyway...
Old 01-28-2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by D-sta

If you do decide to do the coil-overs, I think that it should work because the suspension set-up on the Stanza is exactly the same as the 3rd gen maxima. The front is the same and the rear is the exact same, I know since I recently changed the front struts and rear cartridges on a stanza and it was identical to my maxima.

not exactly the same...front suspension is different. Rear is the same.

since you guys want coilovers but can't afford the custom made (by someone else) route..make it yourself. follow the guide on 240sx.org, it'll be the same for maximas.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh

not exactly the same...front suspension is different. Rear is the same.

since you guys want coilovers but can't afford the custom made (by someone else) route..make it yourself. follow the guide on 240sx.org, it'll be the same for maximas.
what's different about the front suspension compared to our cars. Even the sway bars look the same
Old 01-28-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989
They told me and a few others I know that there was basically no way in hell that they would do coil-overs. Fine with me. Even if they did, they wouldn't be good for anything but 'slamming' the ride anyway...
You guys really followed up on this??? So they'll do one for Stanzas but not our rides??? I'm a little offended... but moreso disappointed..

Old 01-28-2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by D-sta

what's different about the front suspension compared to our cars. Even the sway bars look the same

Maxima front struts are longer, maxima front springs are wider.

Sway bars may look the same shape, but the maxima's is probably longer, being that the maxima is a wider car.

Lord Bunny..the reason why they'll make one for the Stanza is because ground control made the Stanza coil overs years ago when they weren't as big of a company as they are now. Since they have the blueprints for the original set, it's always easy to just make another set.

As for the maxima, I think you guys should contact ground control again..you never know..things might have changed. WINK WINK.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:10 PM

Again... my question is... how many of you guys would actually be in the market for coilovers and not just interested in knowing we can get it done???
Old 01-28-2003, 09:48 PM
STFU n00b!

I asked this a while back and nobody replied...

to get them done is going to cost at LEAST $800, simply because you'll have to have custom front struts in order to make them work.. so take ground control's "$400" kit and add $400 to it just for custom front struts. rear struts we're assuming will be fine (since they're the same as a Stanza and all)...

so there's $800 WITHOUT necessary camber correction.

who's willing to fork out $800 for coilovers, when you still have to buy aftermarket rear shocks to fit inside the OE ones, PLUS fime some way of correcting the front camber more than the cheapo ingalls camber bolts.

So if you've got $1000 to throw at this and are ready to spend the money, let it be known... I'll make some calls and see what I can come up with... but I HIGHLY doubt there are more thna 1 or 2 people here that are ready to throw $1000+ at the suspension of a $3000 car. it's just not worth the time and effort if it's going to be one or two people going in on it. anybody see the point here?
Old 01-29-2003, 01:20 AM

$800 I say yae...

But $1000+ not including camber correction, and struts???

Hmmm...

To you good sir I say nae...
Struts and springs it be for me...
Old 01-29-2003, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
I asked this a while back and nobody replied...

to get them done is going to cost at LEAST $800, simply because you'll have to have custom front struts in order to make them work.. so take ground control's "$400" kit and add $400 to it just for custom front struts. rear struts we're assuming will be fine (since they're the same as a Stanza and all)...

so there's $800 WITHOUT necessary camber correction.

who's willing to fork out $800 for coilovers, when you still have to buy aftermarket rear shocks to fit inside the OE ones, PLUS fime some way of correcting the front camber more than the cheapo ingalls camber bolts.

So if you've got $1000 to throw at this and are ready to spend the money, let it be known... I'll make some calls and see what I can come up with... but I HIGHLY doubt there are more thna 1 or 2 people here that are ready to throw $1000+ at the suspension of a $3000 car. it's just not worth the time and effort if it's going to be one or two people going in on it. anybody see the point here?
From what I understand, Gound Control coil-overs suck anyway. If you're going to spend that kind of money, wouldn't you want more? I would want 24 way adjustables for that kind of money. You can get them for 1700 for other cars...
I don't think $1K would be worth it... and I agree with Matt. I highly doubt too many people would fork up the money in the end. Gound Control agrees, too, at least that's what they've told me.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:37 AM

I don't think $1K would be worth it... and I agree with Matt. I highly doubt too many people would fork up the money in the end. Gound Control agrees, too, at least that's what they've told me.
true, not many people will be able to shell out that amount for a daily driver. but then, if you really know what a difference it makes and you are into hard driving and autox-ing, believe me, you WILL fork out 1g for them. They are definitely worth the price.

at least that's my impression of them.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by lophix

true, not many people will be able to shell out that amount for a daily driver. but then, if you really know what a difference it makes and you are into hard driving and autox-ing, believe me, you WILL fork out 1g for them. They are definitely worth the price.

at least that's my impression of them.
$1K for what, ride height adjustment? I don't think that's worth it. That's all Ground Controls are good for, isn't it? I had a buddy who had them on his Corrolla and all they did was adjust the ride height. He had a lot of problems with them, too...
Old 01-29-2003, 08:03 AM

I'd shell out $1k for suspension, but it better be damned good, not just ride adjustment. I'm way too aggressive of a driver to spend money on something that isn't that functional.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 AM

$1K for what, ride height adjustment? I don't think that's worth it. That's all Ground Controls are good for, isn't it? I had a buddy who had them on his Corrolla and all they did was adjust the ride height. He had a lot of problems with them, too...
if ride height was the ultimate goal, then eibachs as well as other performance suspension companies would be out of business. this is exactly what i said

"true, not many people will be able to shell out that amount for a daily driver. but then, if you really know what a difference it makes and you are into hard driving and autox-ing, believe me, you WILL fork out 1g for them. They are definitely worth the price"
Old 01-29-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by lophix

if ride height was the ultimate goal, then eibachs as well as other performance suspension companies would be out of business. this is exactly what i said

"true, not many people will be able to shell out that amount for a daily driver. but then, if you really know what a difference it makes and you are into hard driving and autox-ing, believe me, you WILL fork out 1g for them. They are definitely worth the price"
Okay, okay. Hey, all I have to go by is what I've seen produced by Ground Control for Corollas, and it had zero adjustment on anything other than ride height. Sorry to get you all worked up... I was mearly stating that I would think that people who actually had the money to throw at this would want some serious adjustments for thier bucks, not just some preset spring rates and such that won't adapt to track conditions, that's all. BTW: Doesn't GC use Eibach springs?? Their business is pretty well secured, regardless of who makes what adjustable whatever.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:23 AM
STFU n00b!

the ground controls offer ride height adjustment and the choice of whatever springs you want to stick on the car.

that's anything from a 100lb/in squishy spring (factory is about 150) to a 900lb/in spring that will make it ride like an unloaded dumptruck.

the changing of spring rates will make a dramatic difference in cornering and body lean, BUT you also need better struts to counter the increased spring stiffness. Otherwise you just bounce all over the place like a honda with cut springs and stock struts. Tokico are absolute minimum.. Koni single-adjustables are the next step, but nobody makes anything that will fit..

even using something as simple as the GC coil over kit you'll see some huge gains in performance, but it comes at the cost of ride comfort.