3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine tick, and a misfire HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine tick, and a misfire HELP

Hi, Im new to this forum and Im getting ready to buy a 92 maxima SE with 124,000 miles. It is in unbelievably good condition but there is a tick in the engine and it sounds like it is running on 5 cylinders. I have read tons of posts about the VTC's going bad. But im not sure what a bad vtc sounds like. This sounds like a tick from the passenger backside of the engine. The only way ive heard it described in this forum is that it sounds like a desiel engine running. This sounds nothing like that. It sounds more like a single stuck vavle or something to that affect. Im buying the car from an individual and i dont think he would appreciate me tapping into the VTC wire and grounding it out. He is a little uptight. i just dont want to spend $2000 on the car, then another $1500 on the VTC's. Hopefully you guys can give me a cheaper guess on what may be wrong with it. It does it warm, or cold. And all through the RPM's. The misfire is worse when idling but seems to start to clear up in the upper rpm range. May be a bad wire or plug. Please help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you all for the great info!!

Tawd
Old 02-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: engine tick, and a misfire HELP

It is either the VTCs because they do sound like a tick or its the exhaust studs broken because that ticks too.

My guess would be VTCs.

As far as it running on 5 cylinders....be careful there. The VE doesnt have coil wires they have coils on top of each plug. You can pull them out and check for cracks. It could be a injector too or a number of other comon problems with the VE.

If it is VTCs you can ground it for now and later on you can repair them. I know some have been running a while grounded but then again a few have had their VTC assemblies tear up on them and destroy the motor.

Search around and see if you can find any more info.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2003, 08:53 AM

I have 120k on my 92 SE and I replaced all my injectors about 5k mi ago. So, you might have an injector problem. It could be any number of things. Personally, I've typed up plenty on injectors/misfires, etc. Just use the search key on the upper right corner.

Brian
Old 02-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Derek94SE

The VTC's, I'd say, tick about 8 times a second or so, it's a rapid tick tick tick, so if that sounds about right, it's probably the VTC's.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When the VTC's go out is it usual for just one of them to go bad though?? I went and listened to the car again today and the noise only comes from the rear of the engine. NO noise at all from the front valve cover, or anywhere near the front VTC. Today I drove the car around and revved the cr@p out of it and took it back and let it idle. The noise was real bad, and then just stopped. Then it sounded fine. Well it started ticking again shortly thereafter. Then stopped again. I did notice that when you FIRST started the car for about the first 1second that its running it clatters. Maybe this will be a little more info for you guys. Thank you for all the help. Please dont respone with "use the search for this forum" because ive spent over 4 hours searching the forum, and I have to buy this car quick if i want it. Please help, thank you

Tawd
Oh yeah, its about 1/2 quart low on oil. You all have said the engines can clatter when they are low, but only 1/2 quart?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:16 AM
A92se?

Originally posted by tawd
When the VTC's go out is it usual for just one of them to go bad though?? I went and listened to the car again today and the noise only comes from the rear of the engine. NO noise at all from the front valve cover, or anywhere near the front VTC. Today I drove the car around and revved the cr@p out of it and took it back and let it idle. The noise was real bad, and then just stopped. Then it sounded fine. Well it started ticking again shortly thereafter. Then stopped again. I did notice that when you FIRST started the car for about the first 1second that its running it clatters. Maybe this will be a little more info for you guys. Thank you for all the help. Please dont respone with "use the search for this forum" because ive spent over 4 hours searching the forum, and I have to buy this car quick if i want it. Please help, thank you

Tawd
Oh yeah, its about 1/2 quart low on oil. You all have said the engines can clatter when they are low, but only 1/2 quart?
I have a 92se with only 98k on it and it ticks like crazy warm or cold, 5 qts of oil, more or less. BUT when I get an oil changed it sounds fantastic. So, I would say change the oil before you buy it. Either have the seller do it, go half or do it yourself. I would rather spend a few bucks on an oil change now than a couple hundred later