3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intake resonator - What for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:54 AM

Intake resonator on VG - What for?

I have a 94 Max GXE, and the intake tube after the air filter has a black box attached to it, with a whole in the tube that leads into it, but the box itself is sealed. I've read that it suposed to reduce the sound. So I cut my box off and pluged the whole with a rubber cork. I didn't notice any difference in noise, and I think the car became a little weaker. I have a stock intake with a regular air filter. Does that box affect performance in any way?
If I put a cone filter on, will it change the sound?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:11 PM

yes there will be a sound and power (if any) increase. your engine will have this nice roar at WOT. there's tons of info on this...search and you shall find
Old 02-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan
yes there will be a sound and power (if any) increase. your engine will have this nice roar at WOT. there's tons of info on this...search and you shall find
What i'm saying is that I did cut it off to make it sound better, but it sounds the same, and I think I even lost power. could that be true or is it just my imagination? lol
p.s. It's probably a stupid Q, but what's WOT?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:13 PM

WOT Wide Open Throttle, aka flooring it

and yea ive wondered this too, the intake resonator
Old 02-06-2003, 05:46 PM

WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF TAKING THE RESONATOR BETWEEN THE MAF SENSOR AND THE THROTTLE BODY OFF..?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

how did you "cut it off"?? and if you didn't reseal it properly you are most likely having an airleak thus a possible loss in power!

Originally posted by kzrussian

What i'm saying is that I did cut it off to make it sound better, but it sounds the same, and I think I even lost power. could that be true or is it just my imagination? lol
p.s. It's probably a stupid Q, but what's WOT?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What is that resonator for anyway???
Old 02-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
[B]What [B]is that resonator for anyway???
the same thing the exhaust resonator is for...noise reduction.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by awsm66
the same thing the exhaust resonator is for...noise reduction.
PFFFFFT!!!! Who wants that???
Old 02-06-2003, 09:12 PM
STFU n00b!

do a search on google for helmholtz resonator and research a bit for yourselves. automotive applications include removing loud engine resonances at certain RPM and to smooth out power peaks and dips because the intake/exhaust is tuned over that band of frequencies.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:25 PM

To DA-MAX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DA-MAX
[B]how did you "cut it off"?? and if you didn't reseal it properly you are most likely having an airleak thus a possible loss in power!

I cut off half of the box off, and sealed the whole that came into the box with a rubber cork. How would having an airleak cause power loss? It should be the opposite instead, because you have more air comming in, not considering the air would be dirty.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:31 PM

plugging the hole would be a bad thing.... the tube that runs out underneath it is a sorta stock "cold air intake" think. It adds some performance, so plugging the hole would hurt. it's also not that thing which really takes away most of the sound. If you just want more sound, get a CHEAP pop charger(K&N), but don't spend to much. I bought a $130 pop charger(Jim wolf), but didn't realize that I could have gotten CAI for $150!(also got a 2nd intake, a k&N filter for $45 that I can't use, so I'm a lil screwed).
Save up and get an actual CAI, it'll probably be the best to aim for. If you want to spare money, there's a way of making an adapter out of your stock air box(kinda risky IMHO), and you could do that for as cheap as those little neon paper filters at autozone. But a K&N would be better.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:32 PM

To Matt93SE

Originally posted by Matt93SE
do a search on google for helmholtz resonator and research a bit for yourselves. automotive applications include removing loud engine resonances at certain RPM and to smooth out power peaks and dips because the intake/exhaust is tuned over that band of frequencies.
You just went over my head! I did a search on that and it gave me a whole bunch of formulas for sound and air I'm not that intelegent, so can you please explain in simple tearms what you just said above. "smoth out power peaks" is that in sound or performance? will the resonator affect my performance - is it better to have it on or off {not considering sound polution}?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by doomtoo
plugging the hole would be a bad thing.... the tube that runs out underneath it is a sorta stock "cold air intake" think. It adds some performance, so plugging the hole would hurt. it's also not that thing which really takes away most of the sound. If you just want more sound, get a CHEAP pop charger(K&N), but don't spend to much. I bought a $130 pop charger(Jim wolf), but didn't realize that I could have gotten CAI for $150!(also got a 2nd intake, a k&N filter for $45 that I can't use, so I'm a lil screwed).
Save up and get an actual CAI, it'll probably be the best to aim for. If you want to spare money, there's a way of making an adapter out of your stock air box(kinda risky IMHO), and you could do that for as cheap as those little neon paper filters at autozone. But a K&N would be better.
I think your thinking of some other whole, the whole I pluged - lead to the empty box - the resonator, and it was sealed, so that's why i pluged the whole. It's located on the stock intake plastic pipe that goes into the TB.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:43 PM

I think your thinking of some other whole, the whole I pluged - lead to the empty box - the resonator, and it was sealed, so that's why i pluged the whole. It's located on the stock intake plastic pipe that goes into the TB.
Yeah, I was talking about the pipe that is on the bottom of the air box. I don't see how you could have done this though.... doesn't it go throttle body --> resonater --> air box?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

OK people what in the world is going on sheesh...Do not leave the empty hole un plugged...dont listen to doomtoo. Period end of sentence. It will draw in dirty air that will couse engine problems and the hole is AFTER the MAF meter so the engine will be getting more air in than it is reading which will cause problems.

It will not hurt to have the resinator off and the hole plugged. I have done the same thing.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

some of you guys need to learn at least some automotive basics before you go hacking up your car...Good lord!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:29 PM

Haven't done any hacking yet, but if I ever intend to, I'm researching.

If you're gonna hack away, hack right.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by doomtoo

Yeah, I was talking about the pipe that is on the bottom of the air box. I don't see how you could have done this though.... doesn't it go throttle body --> resonater --> air box?
are you talking about the max SE (VE)? I'm talking about a GXE (VG) and it has its resonator sealed to the intake pipe. It's a black sealed box hooked to the pipe.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: To DA-MAX

How would having an airleak cause power loss? It should be the opposite instead, because you have more air comming in, not considering the air would be dirty.
I have a VE and i had just wondered what it would sound like without the resonator in before i capped it off and the thing wouldn't even run. It had the 'WaaaWaaa's' then it cut off. I consider that a power loss if any. Once i capped it off i did notice a bit of difference in thottle response my friends says it sounds really nice outside. Can't mistaken it for a Honduh.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Derek94SE

are you talking about the max SE (VE)? I'm talking about a GXE (VG) and it has its resonator sealed to the intake pipe. It's a black sealed box hooked to the pipe.
The VE has that resonator too.