3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bullet Proof Motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003 | 03:30 PM

Bullet Proof Motors

I have done a lot of research trying to find out which way to go with my new motor. I have thought about turbos and Nitrous but have finally decided to build a stroker motor. Flatlander Racing will have a stroker kit for my motor by mid March. The guy that I talked to said that the last motor they did dynoed at 297 hp NA. I don't think that's too bad. I am going with the Stage 2 head job. That way I still have the option to add the bottle later. My reason for posting this is simply b/c I didn't know if you guys knew that there was a stroker kit availible for Max motors. I know it's exspensive but I think that it would cost more to put a 150 hp boost Nitrous kit on a non-built motor and have to rebuild it again and again. I'm trying to cover all my bases. Also, I will be purchasing a lightened flywheel and lower pulley. Stage 3 clutch. I am looking to spend about $5,000 on this motor and have my seats recovered. http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ is the link to this site. Let me know what you guys think.

Justin
Old 02-06-2003 | 05:02 PM

NA power is over rated

The cost in building a VG to make more than 220hp @ crank or 185whp is alot. IMHO if I was to build a n2o motor I'd use factory VG30DETT spec 9.1cr pistons and use eagle rods. Also the n2o kit should be direct port and run at least 100 octane or better. A stroked VG30 won't make anywhere near 280hp @ crank. Hell NA VG30DEs won't even get close. My advice, buy a VG33E from a junkyard. Put a VG30DETT crank, eagle rods and get forged 10.1cr pistons made. The nitrous as I said should be direct port on at least 100 octane or better.

After that do the usual headwork + cams + bolt ons, the motor should dyno around 170-185whp NA and about 300-330whp with 150 shot of n2o. If you were to spray the car only at the strip on not every week on the street you should get at least 1-2 years before the motor needs rebuilding.
Old 02-06-2003 | 05:12 PM

NA power is over rated

The cost in building a VG to make more than 220hp @ crank or 185whp is alot. IMHO if I was to build a n2o motor I'd use factory VG30DETT spec 9.1cr pistons and use eagle rods. Also the n2o kit should be direct port and run at least 100 octane or better. A stroked VG30 won't make anywhere near 280hp @ crank. Hell NA VG30DEs won't even get close. My advice, buy a VG33E from a junkyard. Put a VG30DETT crank, eagle rods and get forged 10.1cr pistons made. The nitrous as I said should be direct port on at least 100 octane or better.

After that do the usual headwork + cams + bolt ons, the motor should dyno around 170-185whp NA and about 300-330whp with 150 shot of n2o. If you were to spray the car only at the strip on not every week on the street you should get at least 1-2 years before the motor needs rebuilding.
Old 02-06-2003 | 07:16 PM

Re: NA power is over rated

If you want... I can send you a copy of my blueprints on my motor and my dyno specs... He has already completed this motor work for another car and the dyno showed 297 at the crank. With a $500 flywheel and $200 UDP. You should be able to get at least 250 hp to the ground. With a motor built like that... I can bolt on a NOS 175 hp boost kit down the road with out problems. That is if I'm not satisfied with this performance. But money is not an issue. Like I said earlier... $5000 is what I'm looking to spend. That will get me my security when it comes to the juice somewhere down the road.

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

Old 02-07-2003 | 08:24 AM

Re: Re: NA power is over rated

Originally posted by ljmayfield
If you want... I can send you a copy of my blueprints on my motor and my dyno specs... He has already completed this motor work for another car and the dyno showed 297 at the crank. With a $500 flywheel and $200 UDP. You should be able to get at least 250 hp to the ground. With a motor built like that... I can bolt on a NOS 175 hp boost kit down the road with out problems. That is if I'm not satisfied with this performance. But money is not an issue. Like I said earlier... $5000 is what I'm looking to spend. That will get me my security when it comes to the juice somewhere down the road.

How much is the kit going to cost (around) and what does it include?
Old 02-07-2003 | 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

The guy told me that the kit would cost a little over $2000. Then you have to have it put together and any head work. From what I understood... Stroker Kits consist of the following:
Forged Crank (w/Knife-Edging option)
Custom Forged Pistons (any compression and bore)
Forged Steel Pins (ultra-lites available)
Piston Pin Locks
Plasma Moly Racing Rings
Forged 4340 Steel or Billet Rods
Main and Rod Bearings

But keep in mind... I'm not trying to tell everyone to go out and do this... I just wanted to throw out one more motor option. I will do it and then scan my blueprints and dyno sheets and post them for you guys. I like this motor because it is a stable concept with few margins of error and maintence.

Originally posted by eric93SE

How much is the kit going to cost (around) and what does it include?
Old 02-07-2003 | 01:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

You know none of those items, will increase the power of the motor at all. Just strengthen it. IMHO, you would have to use ultra high compression and very large intake/exhaust ports to get enough flow for that much hp. Plus some very large in/ex valves and huge cams.

Will it pass emissions? Will it idle?

Hendienken(sp) already has built such a motor and has said to make 300 hp est.

The guy told me that the kit would cost a little over $2000. Then you have to have it put together and any head work. From what I understood... Stroker Kits consist of the following:
Forged Crank (w/Knife-Edging option)
Custom Forged Pistons (any compression and bore)
Forged Steel Pins (ultra-lites available)
Piston Pin Locks
Plasma Moly Racing Rings
Forged 4340 Steel or Billet Rods
Main and Rod Bearings

But keep in mind... I'm not trying to tell everyone to go out and do this... I just wanted to throw out one more motor option. I will do it and then scan my blueprints and dyno sheets and post them for you guys. I like this motor because it is a stable concept with few margins of error and maintence.

Old 02-07-2003 | 03:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

The difference in those parts other then just strengthening the motor is the fact that this is a stroker motor.... meaning that it has longer rods.... meaning that you have more time to pump air and fuel into the cylanders while the piston is down.... meaning that you recieve a bigger explosion..... meaning that you will increase your horsepower. I am having all my heads done to a stage 2 job with port matching. I will have my computer flashed to compensate for the difference in power and performance. I am also putting in a more powerfull fuel pump. As far as emissions.... we don't have inspections here in South Carolina... I have been running without a cat for over 5 years now. As far as idle... This has been done to the exact same motor and tested and dynoed.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You know none of those items, will increase the power of the motor at all. Just strengthen it. IMHO, you would have to use ultra high compression and very large intake/exhaust ports to get enough flow for that much hp. Plus some very large in/ex valves and huge cams.

Will it pass emissions? Will it idle?

Hendienken(sp) already has built such a motor and has said to make 300 hp est.

Old 02-07-2003 | 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

Yes that is true but again the VG heads and intake manifold won't flow anywhere near that much power. Unless you are using the NISMO race VG heads I don't see how that much power can be made. Much less in a street car, I'm willing to bet there is no way in hell that car would idle less than 1000-1300rpm or pass any kind of emission tests. Also what does the stroke get changed to? Nissan gained 0.3L by increasing the bore from 87mm to 91.5mm in the VG33E. Assuming you gained 8.5mm in stroke that would only give you 3.3L. With a long stroke like that you'd limit the amount of rpm possible.

So inorder to make over 250hp at the crank at best you'd need at the minumim 200lb-ft @ 6500rpm. Given the OEM heads + intake manifold there is no way in hell it would make that kind of torque at that high rpm. A VG30DE barely makes over 240-250hp @ flywheel with bolt ons and its heads + IM flow damn near twice as much as VG30E or VG33E parts. Now if it was possible to put a VG30DE heads on a VG33 block, it could possibly make that kind of power and be streetable. However with VG30E parts I'm waving the BS flag. It would probably be in your best interest to swap in a VG30DE . All you need is a sledge hammer to wedge it in there LOL .

The difference in those parts other then just strengthening the motor is the fact that this is a stroker motor.... meaning that it has longer rods.... meaning that you have more time to pump air and fuel into the cylanders while the piston is down.... meaning that you recieve a bigger explosion..... meaning that you will increase your horsepower. I am having all my heads done to a stage 2 job with port matching. I will have my computer flashed to compensate for the difference in power and performance. I am also putting in a more powerfull fuel pump. As far as emissions.... we don't have inspections here in South Carolina... I have been running without a cat for over 5 years now. As far as idle... This has been done to the exact same motor and tested and dynoed.

Old 02-07-2003 | 07:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

OK... I'm not here to fight with anyone. I just wanted to throw some info out there for peeps. If you believe what I am saying or not is up to you. For all I know... the guy could have lied to me. I'm going by what he told me and common sense. So, if you don't believe this is possible... fine.... maybe it's not... but by Mid-summer, I will post the blueprints and the dyno sheets. That way this disscusion can come to an end... niether of us have hard evidence to back up our debate. I will sink my $5000 into this motor and if I come out with the motor that I think I will... cool. If not... that's cool too. The point is, I have to have a motor. My car has 327,000 miles on it and won't top 45 mph on flat ground. Any motor is better then that. Hell, my Saturn out runs it. That's disgraceful. So, thanks for your imput... No hard feelings.

Yes that is true but again the VG heads and intake manifold won't flow anywhere near that much power. Unless you are using the NISMO race VG heads I don't see how that much power can be made. Much less in a street car, I'm willing to bet there is no way in hell that car would idle less than 1000-1300rpm or pass any kind of emission tests. Also what does the stroke get changed to? Nissan gained 0.3L by increasing the bore from 87mm to 91.5mm in the VG33E. Assuming you gained 8.5mm in stroke that would only give you 3.3L. With a long stroke like that you'd limit the amount of rpm possible.

So inorder to make over 250hp at the crank at best you'd need at the minumim 200lb-ft @ 6500rpm. Given the OEM heads + intake manifold there is no way in hell it would make that kind of torque at that high rpm. A VG30DE barely makes over 240-250hp @ flywheel with bolt ons and its heads + IM flow damn near twice as much as VG30E or VG33E parts. Now if it was possible to put a VG30DE heads on a VG33 block, it could possibly make that kind of power and be streetable. However with VG30E parts I'm waving the BS flag. It would probably be in your best interest to swap in a VG30DE . All you need is a sledge hammer to wedge it in there LOL .

Old 02-07-2003 | 08:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

I'm trying help you see da light hehe. Nissan already makes a bigger VG motor. The VG33E would perform better than a stroked 3.3L version of the VG30E. The engine would be able to rev higher, thus allowing it to make more power up top. Also you could build a nice 10.1 or 11.1cr VG33E for less than the "stroked" VG30E would cost and it would have better performance. For example comparing the VG33E to the VG30E, the 33E gains 8hp/16lb-ft over a 30E in a maxima. However compared to the old 30E in the pathfinder it makes 16hp/26lb-ft more.

I have dyno charts of VG30E's with bolt ons and cams dynoing between 155-170whp. Now use a VG33E as a base and with the same mods the engine would produce at least 7-10hp/10-16tq more. That is assuming one is using stock 9.0 compression. If it was bumped to 10.1 that would increase whp/wtq by 3-5%. So our 10.1cr VG33E with cams (VG30E cams work just fine in the 33E) + intake, header, exhaust and tuned ECU would dyno around 165-180whp. According to www.car-part.com you can buy the entire engine for $800-1900. Throw in new 10.1 cast pistons and have the bottem end balanced and your set.

Remember it isn't how much you spend it's how you spend it. If you do some searching you'll find out, what I learnt about cutting corners . Basically do alot of research before you commit !

OK... I'm not here to fight with anyone. I just wanted to throw some info out there for peeps. If you believe what I am saying or not is up to you. For all I know... the guy could have lied to me. I'm going by what he told me and common sense. So, if you don't believe this is possible... fine.... maybe it's not... but by Mid-summer, I will post the blueprints and the dyno sheets. That way this disscusion can come to an end... niether of us have hard evidence to back up our debate. I will sink my $5000 into this motor and if I come out with the motor that I think I will... cool. If not... that's cool too. The point is, I have to have a motor. My car has 327,000 miles on it and won't top 45 mph on flat ground. Any motor is better then that. Hell, my Saturn out runs it. That's disgraceful. So, thanks for your imput... No hard feelings.

Old 02-07-2003 | 09:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NA power is over rated

You guys have to support this guy some more, like damn your not spending this money, he is . Let him do it and we'll all learn from it. If he's doing a good amount of head work, increasing compression and having larger intake and exhaust valves installed, then the motor is definitly gonna make more POWA .

ljmayfield STROK AWAY and good luck.
Old 02-08-2003 | 06:24 AM

He's building you a custom forged crank, custom pistons, and billet rods for $2k alone?

Wow.
Old 02-08-2003 | 10:26 AM

NA power is over rated

Thanks for the support man.
Originally posted by eric93SE
You guys have to support this guy some more, like damn your not spending this money, he is . Let him do it and we'll all learn from it. If he's doing a good amount of head work, increasing compression and having larger intake and exhaust valves installed, then the motor is definitly gonna make more POWA .

ljmayfield STROK AWAY and good luck.
Old 02-08-2003 | 05:41 PM

That is my point too. THat is way cheap.

Originally posted by Maximamike
He's building you a custom forged crank, custom pistons, and billet rods for $2k alone?

Wow.
Old 02-08-2003 | 06:26 PM

ok dude... you've been bustin' on this since I posted this thread. I put the link to this place at the very begining. Call him up. Find out. Where do you see custom crank? Where it says custom pistons.... it explains what's custom about it. You tell them the bore and compresion and they will make a custom kit with pistons for your block. This is not balanced. That is an extra $500-$800 (which I am having done). I think you have made your point. You don't believe it. That's fine. Like I've said I will post my blueprints and dyno sheets when I recieve them. Also, I've already said that you might be right... That's fine. The point again is.... I have to have a motor. Instead of going stock, I am going with a stroker. I didn't know if this was ever mentioned on the forums so I wanted to open new doors and ideas.

That is my point too. THat is way cheap.

Old 02-08-2003 | 06:53 PM

Where do you see custom crank?
Well..

From what I understood... Stroker Kits consist of the following:
Forged Crank (w/Knife-Edging option)...

Old 02-09-2003 | 12:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let the kid blow his cash, there's no point in arguing with him. Just sit calmly by and wait for those pics to come up. It's his money and I think we could all use more options on what to and what not to do to our cars. If he wants so bad to be, let him be a space monkey...

*slaps ljmayfield in the back*

GO SPACE MONKEY!!! GO!!!

Old 02-09-2003 | 08:51 AM

I've looked over the parts, the rods are $1000 themselves! The OEM crankshaft is $318 + $450 for the engine kit. I'll still stand by my statement. VG33E > stroked VG30E, not to mention it is cheaper. A cheaper way is to swap in a VG30DE and you get 220hp stock. After you get it to fit that is .

ok dude... you've been bustin' on this since I posted this thread. I put the link to this place at the very begining. Call him up. Find out. Where do you see custom crank? Where it says custom pistons.... it explains what's custom about it. You tell them the bore and compresion and they will make a custom kit with pistons for your block. This is not balanced. That is an extra $500-$800 (which I am having done). I think you have made your point. You don't believe it. That's fine. Like I've said I will post my blueprints and dyno sheets when I recieve them. Also, I've already said that you might be right... That's fine. The point again is.... I have to have a motor. Instead of going stock, I am going with a stroker. I didn't know if this was ever mentioned on the forums so I wanted to open new doors and ideas.

Old 02-12-2003 | 10:00 AM

I say let someone be a pioneer in this forum I for one am looking to do some work to my engine and would love more options. If this works then hey, VG owners will be happy to now we have another option in this market that is scarce for us. if not then at least someone had the Cohonas to try something new and think outside of the VG box. Instead of ragging on the man. Give him a little support and positive advise.

Save your bickering for them 4th gens, Bin Ladden, Sadam, and civics sheesh!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2003 | 10:06 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

PAECO already offers a VG30E stroker kit...I think its like $1400 or somehting. I agree, for all-motor VG33 is the block to start on!