3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shift Kit Install???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 PM

Shift Kit Install???

Just bought me a shift kit for my GXE online a week ago. Came in the mail today. The whole thing was a long wire with a black, white, and red wire at one end and a black and red wire at the other with a three way switch. Instructions are a little confusing (needs more detail). I just need to know where the Transmission Connector and wires are. So I can work my magic on my automagic. Or maybe I should just take it to my mechanic. What do you guys think.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Shift Kit Install???

I think you bought a electronic shift improver for a domestic copmputer controlled car...does it look something like this-->

if so its not gonna work! The Maxima valve body must be physically modified to improve the shifts.

Originally posted by gottriceguy
The whole thing was a long wire with a black, white, and red wire at one end and a black and red wire at the other with a three way switch.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:13 PM

Re: Re: Shift Kit Install???

Originally posted by DA-MAX
I think you bought a electronic shift improver for a domestic copmputer controlled car...does it look something like this-->

if so its not gonna work! The Maxima valve body must be physically modified to improve the shifts.

No, mine is a little less complex. Its like I said one wire. one side with a black and red wire sticking out and the other side has three sticking out (red, black, white). those three are connected to a switch. I'm supposedly suppose to connect the red and black wires to the transmission connectors and wires. sounds simple but thats what the directions say. So, I just need to know where they are at.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Shift Kit Install???

hate to tell you but that won't work on your car. only way to change shifts in the Maxima is to modify the valve body! who told you this would work on your car??

Originally posted by gottriceguy

No, mine is a little less complex. Its like I said one wire. one side with a black and red wire sticking out and the other side has three sticking out (red, black, white). those three are connected to a switch. I'm supposedly suppose to connect the red and black wires to the transmission connectors and wires. sounds simple but thats what the directions say. So, I just need to know where they are at.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shift Kit Install???

Originally posted by DA-MAX
hate to tell you but that won't work on your car. only way to change shifts in the Maxima is to modify the valve body! who told you this would work on your car??

Where I get many of my parts... EBAY. I knew it was too good to be true. Dammit This is what I bought--->
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2400736686
Pretty cheap to. Bastards! Should I try it anyway? Or you think it would hurt the engine? Maybe I'll take it to my mechanic, better yet AAMCO.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shift Kit Install???

After reading the directions over and over again. I figure the shift kit manipulates the solenoids. Directions say I'm suppose to stick the red wire into Terminal 4 of the transmission connectors/Solenoid pack and the black wire into a body ground. Theres a diagram on the instruction sheet, kinda looks like this and it came with a table to.

Transmission Connectors/Solenoids
__|--|__
|1|2|3|4|
|-------|
|5|6|7|8|
|_______|

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission Connector Identification
3 |Ovenum Solenoid
4 |EPC (+)
5 |TCC Solenoid
6 |TOT Sensor
7 |TOT Sensor
8 |Temperature Switch
--------------------------------------------------------------------
So, what do you make of this?
Old 02-07-2003, 11:13 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shift Kit Install???

Hmm not that I can understand all those wiring diagrams....but the only thing I can think of that it'd do is just give it 100% line pressure ala unplugging that tranny harness on the strut tower...

If so, not good
Old 02-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you're right James!! I think all this thing is, is a drop down resistor/line pressure switch(a 4th gen guy made one of these last year or so)....DON'T INSTALL THIS it'll kill the tranny!!! it'll only shift harder but not really faster. man they make everything on Ebay now ...I'm pretty sure this is what it is, if I were you I wouldn't install this, more harm than good! if you want a shift kit, contact Maximum Tuning or Level 10 and get it done the right way!! just my $.02
Old 02-08-2003, 04:59 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

www.maximumtuning.net