3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Autostart...good idea or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 10:16 AM

I'm pretty crazy about letting my car get nice and warm before I drive it. (I really loves me when I do that.) But, the wife and the people at work hate sitting in my car during the ritual. I was thinking about an autostart. Are they good stuff, or trouble? I need one with about 100 yrds range. I saw one at walmart or something like that for like 100 bones. Any opinions?

out,
newmaxguy 93gxe

Old 01-10-2001, 10:17 AM

Autostart = remote start...

Yeah, by autostart, I mean remote start.
Old 01-10-2001, 10:40 AM

remote start

I had one put in my 90 SE and the only problem was setting the crank. When it was done it sounded like it was choking but the guy set the crank to 1.5 seconds and it is a dream. When it is really cold it takes more than one time but other than that it is great. I also had a key less entry put on. I had it put on by a local shop and wouldn't know where to start.
Old 01-10-2001, 10:47 AM

Depends on which one you get. If you already have an existing aftermarket alarm, I would recommend getting the DEI remote start module. This module has a tach sensor so it will crank until your engine starts as opposed to just setting cranktime which will not guarantee a first time start.

I myself have an alarm called Compustar. The remote has an LCD display and is a 2 way pager. It comes with the engine start built into the alarm. The 2 way paging is cool because you can start it from inside your house and it will notify you if your car has started or not.

I haven't had any problems with mine yet. I have had problems with my sisters engine start module but that is because i don't have the manual for it and can't figure out how to program the crank time and tach sensing.
Old 01-10-2001, 11:34 AM
OG and counting...

DEI Remote Start

I have the DEI remote start with the extended range antenna.
It's really pretty nice because I don't have to be in close range to my car in order to start it and/or unlock my doors.
If you get it done at an alarm shop, make sure they can program other devices into your system (e.g. Sunroof, a/c, trunk).
Old 01-10-2001, 01:07 PM
STFU n00b!

I installed one on the GF's altima a couple weeks ago. She absolutely loves it (woohoo!! no more sleeping on the couch for me!
the only problem with it is the range isn't that great. in open air, I can get about 75 yards from it, but it won't pick up from inside the house very well. when she wants to start it, she has to go near a window and watch and make sure the lights flash.

it also has a tach sensor on it and will retry the starter for 5 times or until the car starts.
it also shuts off after 15 minutes if noone sticks a key in the ignition, so you can't accidentally start it and leave it running all night (like I've seen others do)
This one cost me $130 from a local shop, and I installed it myself.
Old 01-10-2001, 04:58 PM

yes go get a remote start

i have one and i love it. it's so cool. I put it in myself and i going to put one on my girlfriends car tommorow(it's gonna be a long day!)anyways it is well worth the money.Since both of mine were from ebay it was kinda cheap. i don't have any problems starting it from my house or through the building at work it has like 500ft or so range.
the one for my girl is better it goes to 1/4 mile away.
i reccomend it. it is a Avital 6000 by Clifford.Very good alarm for the money it. I like pit stop mode.(you can take your keys out of ign. and car still running),like if you need to run in somewhere real quick like.
Old 01-10-2001, 08:58 PM

How about this?

I was also considering a remote start for my car. The catch is, I have a 5spd. There is a system out there by IT systems that has is capable of being programmed to start manual transmissions. The way it works is it leaves the engine running after you take the key out and lock the doors. After about 30 seconds after the doors have been locked, it shuts the engine off. It has a sensor that detects if the doors are unlocked or opened before it is started to make sure that the car has not been put into gear. This system includes an alarm, keyless entry and remote start with programming functions. It also has relays for the windows and the sunroof. I have a buddy who doesnt think that its a great idea, but I think that it really cool. What do you all think about that? This system runs for about $350 installed in my area. I think I might go for it as an extention of my holiday gifts.
Old 01-11-2001, 01:56 AM

One of the 4th gen guys by the name of Fong (with the mobile theater system) installed a safety switch on his shifter so that only when the car was in neutral would the engine start module activate. That is as complicated as it sounds. Look for him, he comes in here once in a while but I haven't been able to reach him since he came back for CHristmas
Old 01-11-2001, 05:12 AM

Can be dangerous

I love the idea too but decided against it. A couple times I have read about people dying because of them. I thought, yeah right. What has happened in these cases is that the remote FOB gets pushed accidentally and the car starts. If it's in the garage with the doors shut - you can leak carbon monoxide into the house. A whole family here was killed. Ok, Ok, I read that and thought very, very unlikely.

Well, over Christmas I saw the final evidence. My father in law has the remote starters in both his cars. Twice when I was with him he had somehow hit the button when his keys where in his pocket and his car started. The first time were were sitting at a relatives house and I looked out - "Hey, is that your truck running?" yup - we're in the house - car's down 1/4 block parked on the street.

Anyway, something to consider anyway. Maybe there are some with an interlock FOB design...
Old 01-11-2001, 11:29 AM

AutoStarter

My advice to you is get the starter once you have gotten one you won't know how you got along without it. I work at wally mart in Canada and if it is the same starter as the one that I bought wich is made by the Bulldog security company its a great buy. I have put in 6 of them already into peoples cars and no one reports any problems and the best thing about it is that you don't need to hook up a tachometer signal! I have the wiring diagram for our cars on a disk if you want it e-mail me at my address with either a Fax # or a E-mail address (E-mail prefered) and I'll send it to you. Ryan.
Old 01-11-2001, 02:46 PM

??? about remote starters/keyless entry>>

Hi fellas, I'm new to this autostart stuff. I don't understand how u drive the car once u start it with the remote starter? What about the possiblility of starting the engine by accident?? What exactly is put on the car and what does the remote starter connect to in the engine to make it start? I need someone to break it down for me baby style because I'm lost.

I'm looking to get an Avital 4500. Is this a good brand?? What are the possiblilites of malfunction?? Are there any drawbacks?? Could with system mess up any of my exsiting stuff like starter, electrical system, engine, battery, etc.??

I also heard that the I won't be able to open the trunk via remote due to the trunk latch. Is this true??

Please help a hopeless dumby out.

Take care,
ICE
Old 01-15-2001, 07:44 AM

kingston which compustar

did u get the old one with the black leather case or the new one that has the indiglo remote.....the best remote start i ever installed
Old 01-15-2001, 08:14 AM

Re: kingston which compustar

So, I bought a autostart deal. It's a Crimestopper Remote Start/Keyless Entry. Got a good price on ebay and also bought the relay for the trunk release. Now, all that is left is to install it.

heh.

newmax

Originally posted by ray89se
did u get the old one with the black leather case or the new one that has the indiglo remote.....the best remote start i ever installed
Old 01-15-2001, 12:33 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: ??? about remote starters/keyless entry>>

Originally posted by AKAICEBERG
Hi fellas, I'm new to this autostart stuff. I don't understand how u drive the car once u start it with the remote starter? What about the possiblility of starting the engine by accident?? What exactly is put on the car and what does the remote starter connect to in the engine to make it start? I need someone to break it down for me baby style because I'm lost.

I'm looking to get an Avital 4500. Is this a good brand?? What are the possiblilites of malfunction?? Are there any drawbacks?? Could with system mess up any of my exsiting stuff like starter, electrical system, engine, battery, etc.??

I also heard that the I won't be able to open the trunk via remote due to the trunk latch. Is this true??

Please help a hopeless dumby out.

Take care,
ICE
Avital is good stuff.. they're made by Clifford- one of the biggest brands on the market.
No, you won't have any problems with false starts or anything.. it won't damage your car at all, given that it's installed properly (and clifford/Avital require installation by certified shops. they won't let just anyone sell or install their stuff.)
as for what it connects to, here's a run-down:
Battery
ignition switch
tach sensor
starter wire(s)
door lock/unlock wires
brake lights
parking lights
trunk release.
some also connect to the horn, windows, and headlights, but not usually.

you don't drive the car without the key.. on the one I installed, you can start the car from wherever, but when you get in the car, you have to stick the key in the ignition and turn the key to "on".. the remote start simply bypasses the key switch and when it starts, it does the same thing you would do had you actually stuck the key in and started the car. As soon as oyu touch the brake or the RPM goes about 3x your idle speed, the remote start shuts itself off and the car dies.
it also shuts off after 15 minutes if there isn't a key inserted in the ignition.

Yes, you CAN use the trunk release on it. It's very easy since our cars have a powered trunk release (a button you push on the door). if it had a cable, (like our gas door lever) then it wouldn't be possible without another $60-100 in parts and labor.
on our cars, they simply connect to one more wire under the dash and the trunk release is done.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:20 PM

Trunk Release?

Would it be possible to add power trunk release to my car? I have the lever on the floor. What I found a place to put the button, Is it possible to get the release system from a GXE in a boneyard? if so, what would I need if I do it myself? Just a thought.

Also, I want my remote system to work with my windows. I know some systems have that support. Is it possible to link the remote system to the front windows to make them go down like the 4th gens do?

clark