3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

concerned maxima owners first post

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

concerned maxima owners first post

hey, i just recently purchased a 1990 maxima SE for what i felt to be a fairly good price, $2,500 for a fairly modded car, the only exception being its 155,000 miles. i bought it knowing that two things were needed to be worked on, one being a blown fuel injector and the other being a wierd issue that you must remove the bottom left fuse from the fuse box in order to turn the car over. the injector i purchsed remanufactured and had a friend put in, no big deal, but as for the electrical thing he was clueless, as well as the nissan dealership here. im curious as to if anyone here has some insight as to why its doing this, the fuse is the one that works the electric seat belts and power windows. if i try and turn the car with that fuse in place it will just click over, once its removed its fine tho. coming home today i also noticed for the first time a loud sound coming from the right front speaker, kind of a whirring and popping as i turned it up past midway, im not sure if this is related to me having to pull that damn fuse out 3 times a day or not. id be very pleased if i could fix this problem myself and not have to deal with one of the fairly currupt auto shops in this town.

edit- i had forgotten to mention that at the same time this problem with my fuse box began, my headlights began bugging out randomly, they would both work with low beam engageg but when i turned on my brights only one side would work, then i would switch back and neither would work, etc. etc.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was honestly not attempting to post this thred 4 times in a row like a noob, the server was having issues as i was posting and it wasnt giving me an onscreen notification that it was made.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:23 PM

Re: concerned maxima owners first post

Originally posted by blackchromemax
hey, i just recently purchased a 1990 maxima SE for what i felt to be a fairly good price, $2,500 for a fairly modded car, the only exception being its 155,000 miles. i bought it knowing that two things were needed to be worked on, one being a blown fuel injector and the other being a wierd issue that you must remove the bottom left fuse from the fuse box in order to turn the car over. the injector i purchsed remanufactured and had a friend put in, no big deal, but as for the electrical thing he was clueless, as well as the nissan dealership here. im curious as to if anyone here has some insight as to why its doing this, the fuse is the one that works the electric seat belts and power windows. if i try and turn the car with that fuse in place it will just click over, once its removed its fine tho. coming home today i also noticed for the first time a loud sound coming from the right front speaker, kind of a whirring and popping as i turned it up past midway, im not sure if this is related to me having to pull that damn fuse out 3 times a day or not. id be very pleased if i could fix this problem myself and not have to deal with one of the fairly currupt auto shops in this town.
open up the door panel, make sure the male//female connecters are firmly attached, and that there are no tears or holes in the actualy speaker cone
Old 03-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ya thanks for the info, altho im a little less concerned with the speaker portion of my problem than i am with the inability to start my car without removing a fuse. i was just stating the speaker issue as one of my symptons to possibly narrow down the problem.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that fuse controls:
power window, power antenna, theft warning system, automatic seat belt system
(for a list of what each fuse controls, check out my website's how-to section)

I'm guessing it has to do with the starter disable portion of the theft warning system.
I think people have simply unplugged the unit and the car worked fine without it. If you remove the lower dash panel (go on my page in the how-to for warning chime mod if you need instructions for removing the panel), you will see the theft warning unit just to the left of the steering column (there are 2 metal boxes, theft warning and time control unit behind it)
The theft control unit itself could be bad or it could be the starter kill relay; I think it's called inhibitor relay or interlock relay depending on manual or auto tranny. This relay is located in the set of relays right in front of the battery. You could try switching it with another relay you know is working and see if that helps.
If that doesn't work, you can test the theft warning unit starter kill output.
On the connector going into the unit, there are 16 or so wires. You'll need a voltmeter. Connect the negative side to the solid black wire (should be on one end of the connector), connect positive to a green wire with a red stripe (should be in the middle of the connector). Turn the car to ON and check the voltage - it should be 0V, if it's 12V then replace the control unit
that's the testing procedure from the FSM (factory service manual)

hope that helps, good luck
Old 03-07-2003, 12:22 PM

Re: concerned maxima owners first post

Originally posted by blackchromemax
edit- i had forgotten to mention that at the same time this problem with my fuse box began, my headlights began bugging out randomly, they would both work with low beam engageg but when i turned on my brights only one side would work, then i would switch back and neither would work, etc. etc.

I am not sure about the rest but your headlights bugging out is most likely caused by a bad headlight/turnsignal switch. You can replace the switch and that should solve this part of the problem. I have an extra switch that works lying around somewhere...