3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 04:17 PM

Does anyone have any info on aftermarket exhaust system? I am looking for HP gains and prices. I have been looking at warpspeed systems anyone have one??

Thanks
Old 01-15-2001, 04:21 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

there's always Greddy too...more expensive than warpspeed...

http://www.greddy.com
Old 01-15-2001, 04:29 PM

yes i know greddy has a ssytem but what is the HP to $ ration? I kinda like the wark speed exhause because the mufflep looks close to stock...any other companies make stock looking mufflers???
Old 01-15-2001, 05:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Are you concerned about the noise levels....

if not go for a Dynomax muffler its a little more louder than stock but it LOOKS very close to OEM style--> if thats what you're looking for. also check out <a href="http://www.brullenexhaust.com/">Brullen Exhaust</a> they've got a catback kit for the Max too, about $600+/-.

Originally posted by 91MaximaGxR
yes i know greddy has a ssytem but what is the HP to $ ration? I kinda like the wark speed exhause because the mufflep looks close to stock...any other companies make stock looking mufflers???
Old 01-15-2001, 05:40 PM

GReddy claims 7hp gain with their exhaust system. I had a custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust system made for my max using a Tsudo dual DTM SS muffler. It was loud as hell.. even mustang owners would ask me what kind of exhaust I had. I'm kind of glad I don't have an exhaust on my Pearl max cuz the noise on the SkyBlue was too loud. I think I gained like 1-2hp with the exhaust system. The power wasn't really noticeable. But one I got my CAI, it was a different story!! The CAI and the exhaust was a great combo! Great all around power increase. I highly recommend it. Then I got a Y-pipe... well, maybe I shouldn't get into that.. hehe
Old 01-15-2001, 06:56 PM

DynoMax Exhaust

Im interested in the Dynomax Exhaust. Will the exhaust come with hanging brakets for the max or is it universal. also what is the cost. my muffler now has some rot starting on it and i like to replace things before they go. Also when you say its loud is it like a ricy honda loud or like a stang loud?

thanks
Old 01-15-2001, 07:34 PM

Re: DynoMax Exhaust

[Also when you say its loud is it like a ricy honda loud or like a stang loud?

Probably V6 loud(you know what i mean?).
I have a MagnaFlow DTM, it's loud but i don't think it's too loud, makes it sound real throaty,it doesn't sound like no Honda but it's not quite as low as a V8
Old 01-15-2001, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: DynoMax Exhaust

Does the Magnaflow DTM come with the mounting brackets for the max so all i have to do is hang it? Also does it look close to stock?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2001, 03:01 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Dynomax is throaty loud.......

"V6 sound" maybe low toned V8(I'd dare to say) like you said..far from the weak "BUZZ" heard on most 4cyl. it sounds great to me and it is very affordable too. I got mine for about $70 from Jegs.com, but I'll be going with two 6" round Magnaflows when the time comes for my dual exhaust project!!! MUHAHAHAHA....... And BTW universal mufflers DON'T COME WITH MOUNTING BRACKETS(thus any muffler system for 3rd Gens OTHER than Greddy, Brullen and WSP) so just get a shop to custom weld the hangers to stock positions and have them install it, unless you can weld for yourself........
Old 01-16-2001, 03:54 PM

Re: Dynomax is throaty loud.......

Does anyone have a greddy? When you buy a greddy exhaust what comes with it?
Old 01-16-2001, 04:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Dynomax is throaty loud.......

The ("overpriced" and "over-rated" )Greddy system comes with the catback pipe and a muffler with the hangers pre-welded on so you can probably do it yourself on the install! IMO the $500 Greddy system is too much for a catback and muffler when for $525 you can replace your <b>ENTIRE</b> exhaust setup(2.5" catback, hi-flow cat, hi-flow Y-pipe) for $500-550+/- from Warpspeed Performance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing Greddy, but remember with them you're paying for the NAME, not the actual product!!!!!

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Old 01-17-2001, 08:25 AM

I'm going to do a whole custom dual exhaust on my '91 SE. I've come up with an idea of running two pipes all the way from where the y-pipe connects to the engine and just totally bypassing the y-pipe. Is this possible and if anyone has any more ideas let me know.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Dynomax is throaty loud.......

Originally posted by DA-MAX
The ("overpriced" and "over-rated" )Greddy system comes with the catback pipe and a muffler with the hangers pre-welded on so you can probably do it yourself on the install! IMO the $500 Greddy system is too much for a catback and muffler when for $525 you can replace your <b>ENTIRE</b> exhaust setup(2.5" catback, hi-flow cat, hi-flow Y-pipe) for $500-550+/- from Warpspeed Performance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing Greddy, but remember with them you're paying for the NAME, not the actual product!!!!!

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I agree with overpriced and over rated thing about Greddy. Everyone I have talked to who owned a greddy (mostly Honday owners) have said they were unimpressed by the HP gains. I asked them why did they spend $500+ on this exhaust system and they said their friends all had it. I was like WTF?!! I've had my Dynomax muffler for quite some time and am pleased with it. It is louder than a stock exhaust but not that annoying sound you hear from those pesky civics/integras.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:17 PM

woah buddy, duals!!! hey da max!

i thought about runnin dual exhaust. there's a place that'll do it for me for like 200 bucks, plus mufflers and cats. i was thinking the same thing you were. forget the y pipe and run the duals like it's got headers. i was thinking about an H pipe too, to equalize pressure out the exhaust. only thing i was worried about it 1. backpressure, and 2. noise. i don't think with 2 mufflers and cats it'll be too loud, but i'm worried i'll lose all my back pressure and lose hp and torque. there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. the other thing i wasn't thrilled with, is i hear you have to remove your spare tire holder to do this mod. anyone have any pics of a max with dual exhaust? if i do it, i'll prolly get a body kit. any ideas anyone?
Old 01-17-2001, 02:16 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Heres an idea.........

how about using a dual out Cat converter and running two pipes back. thus you can keep the Y-pipe and gain some extra HP. I think if you take out the Y-pipe setup and run a split pipe back form the manifold you'll lose A LOT of POWER a lot more than you'll lose from the putting on a dual exhaust in the first place!!! anyways there are no power gains with dual exhaust on our cars anyways since the manifold isn't configured that way. Personally I'd stay with a Y-pipe and split back from there, I'm just gonna use the single in/dual out cat. conv. after the Y, as an outlet for the two pipes to run back and also allowing me to possibly avoid having to use a X or H pipe, I call it the "Flowmaster" method since thats how Flowmaster designs one of their dual exhaust versions--> .......as for power loss, I doubt it will be undriveable, but I'll have the single pipe configuration(single in/out cat, 2.5" catback and muffler) to switch back on when I go to the track!
Old 01-17-2001, 03:45 PM

wait, are u guys saying that by having a dual exhaust you will lose power? and who sells those dual out cats? anybody have any pictures of a dual exhaust?
Old 01-17-2001, 04:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

LAmuffler.com, look in the cat conv. section...

8000 series down near bottom of page!

Originally posted by HotMax28
wait, are u guys saying that by having a dual exhaust you will lose power? and who sells those dual out cats? anybody have any pictures of a dual exhaust?
Old 01-17-2001, 08:27 PM

Dual exhaust

wow this dual exhaust is getting interesting. I am starting to think about doing it myself. Im just scared of lossing HP though when playing withthe back pressure. Well if anyone does do the mod let me know how it goes!

Old 01-17-2001, 09:54 PM

i love the dual exaust!! my friend has an infinity qx4 and he just put quad exaust on it, direct from the headers so i think its that H pipe config. (basically 2 seperate pipes all the way down one flowmaster muffler joining the two and then they split 2 on each side) sounds soo tite!! like an american v8 and it looks sweeet. when he gets pics ill post em, and since i saw his i want dual for my car grrrrr he paid i think $470 complete.
Old 01-18-2001, 12:52 AM

Nissan should try dual exaust for the maxima!!
Old 01-18-2001, 08:26 AM

i'm definitely goin to try the dual exhaust with the split cat, i'll get some pictures up as soon as i find some money to do the mod
Old 01-18-2001, 07:43 PM

Let me know after you do the mod HOTMAX and let me know the amount of power you have before and after to see if you loss or gain HP
Old 01-19-2001, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ATTN: Da MAX

Didn't you say a while back that you had some work done in Silver Spring, MD.? There was a muffler shop that you recommended right? Let me know the name of the people you talked to, I'm interested in a setup like you have now. Maybe we can meet up and discuss.
Old 01-19-2001, 04:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yup, I'm in Silver Spring.....

where are you at?? are you in DC Maxclub? I got my initail setup done at Rayco, and I'm planning to go back to them with this project, but I haven't done it yet(no LOOT!!!). At the most I'm shooting for $300-400, labor/install/fab of dual catback piping, as for the mufflers and cat conv. I'll buy those. my car is kinda out of commision now due to VERY recent brake probs, but meeting other Maxima members in the area is always cool. so let me know when and we'll see what happens!

Originally posted by crsmax
Didn't you say a while back that you had some work done in Silver Spring, MD.? There was a muffler shop that you recommended right? Let me know the name of the people you talked to, I'm interested in a setup like you have now. Maybe we can meet up and discuss.
Old 01-19-2001, 05:24 PM

I think im just gunna go with he full warp speed exhause guys unless someone has a good reason i shouldnt. if there is anything bad about this exhause system please let me know!

Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2001, 06:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

WSP will be my back-up setup..........

when I go to the track, the duals WON'T HELP w/ ANY extra power on the 1/4 mile let alone the extra weight!!

Originally posted by 91MaximaGxR
I think im just gunna go with he full warp speed exhause guys unless someone has a good reason i shouldnt. if there is anything bad about this exhause system please let me know!

Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2001, 09:23 PM

WarpSpeed Lowered Prices!!!

Hey guys i just wanted to let you know that warp speed lowered some of its prices on there site so check it out. As it looks you are getting alot of product for your money compared to GREEDY (whoops i meant GREDDY) and HKS! Once i get the loot together im gunna go warpspeed!!!