3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

car sputtering occasionally....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

car sputtering occasionally....

Anyone had this problem? Im not sure what it is but Id like some idea before I throw down $90 to have a mechanic hook it to a diagnostics scanner. Its not a regular problem but what happens is occasionally on startup the car will sputter a bit and the check engine light comes on, it only stays on for a bit and shuts off. It drives fine when it gets tac'd up a bit, and like I said it happens occasionally, maybe 1 out of every 20 times I run the car. I tried using fuel injector cleaner but that didnt seem to change anything.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried searching for posts on problems like this but it says I dont have permission to view searches any ideas?
Old 04-05-2003, 12:37 AM

click here before a moderator well moderates.. or N34JZ see's this post

cant post

alos look at the top of this page.. its in red big letters next to the search button... ah there it is
Old 04-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I figured a huge red font link about searches was completely unrelated to the fact that I couldnt search

anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-05-2003, 01:31 PM
AET

My cars suffered from a problem similar to this since the 2nd week I owned it. I've read about 20 posts over the last month that seem to deal with the same issue (with varying frequency). Some days the car runs smooth as duck ****e, some days I turn the key for the first time and it stubbles like I got a major engine problem for two minutes, refusing to rev, then suddenly starts running perfect. I don't have any clue what's up, but this ****e seems REAL common. One dude that posted a similar problem fixed it by replacing the ECM, a few people fixed similar problems by changing injectors, some say knock sensor's the problem, etc. I know that changing the plugs, wires, rotor, distrib. cap, and O2 sensor didn't do anything to help my situation.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey AET, when your car does this, does the check engine light turn on as well?
Old 04-05-2003, 02:04 PM
AET

No man, thats what really irks me. W/O the light coming on, the computer can't tell me anything. Which essentially means I'm throwing shots in the dark attempting to fix it.... anything I do from this point forward consists of.."I don't really know if this is it, but since I've replaced everything else...". Anyways man, does your car seem to run rich when it stumbles? I mean, do you get either a gas smell or that heavy exhaust smell when it starts to run poorly? My car does have an exhaust leak where the b-pipe meets the muffler, but this really shouldn't make it stumble at idle or give it as much hesitation as I'm experiencing (when it actually starts running bad...which happens without warning and always at the worst possible time). I'm inclined to think that this has gotta be a sensor of some sort, otherwise how could it run so perfectly most of the time and then start running like ****e for no apparent reason? My buddy at the Nissan stealer asked me if the O2 sensor I got had ever been dropped, and said that O2s are very delicate. Since I got my O2 from a guy off this site (Bosch he had bought new, never got the chance to use it, sold it to me in the box for $40 shipped), and I can't vouch for how it was treated during shipping, I might make a $90 gamble on a new O2. Otherwise, i'm out of ideas and eager for suggestions on how to fix it.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

now that you mention it, occasionally I do notice a fuel smell.