3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 PM

Supercharger

We finally have someone brave enought to attempt a supercharger on our beloved 3rd gens. I dont know about you but Im goin to be down on a kit after he's done. Check in the general section about 3 pages back and you can see how much hes done..I wonder how much psi hell be runnin..
Old 04-08-2003, 10:32 PM
STFU n00b!

approximately zero with that design. it'll never work. good effort though.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
approximately zero with that design. it'll never work. good effort though.
what's wrong with that design? (honest question hehe)
Old 04-08-2003, 11:43 PM
STFU n00b!

for one, the "supercharger" is waaaay too small.. he'll be lucky to get 3lb of boost with it, as the turbine on a turbo needs to spin WAAAAY faster than what that thing would spin, even if the engine was at 6000rpm.

two... he's bolting it to the frame of the car and expecting it to contact the engine's belts? what happens the first time you touch the gas pedal? that's right, the engine moves and the belts either move away from the pulley, or rip the belt apart from stretching it.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

thanks Matt I couldnt put my frustration and laughter into words
Old 04-09-2003, 07:43 AM

Yeah guys, lets no get our hopes up, for one thing it looks like a toy. I think tonka toy makes that supercharger. Turbo is the way to go
Old 04-09-2003, 08:23 AM

... there's a guy here in Indiana who knows just about everything there is to know about superchargers who's working on one for the VG (for some strange reason...)
Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 AM
STFU n00b!

oh reallllly? everything there is to know about superchargers, eh? he must really know a lot then..

I'll believe it when I see it running. just like all these other turbo posts.. "Yeah, it's almost complete, but I cracked this and I turned this off and I havent' tuned it yet, but I'm making about 15psi without an intercooler."

yeaaaaahhhhh.. pics? dyno slips? track runs? videos?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by D-sta
Yeah guys, lets no get our hopes up, for one thing it looks like a toy. I think tonka toy makes that supercharger. Turbo is the way to go
Hey don't knock on Tonka, When I was a kid I had a big Tonka dump truck and that thing was indistructable
Old 04-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by D-sta
Yeah guys, lets no get our hopes up, for one thing it looks like a toy. I think tonka toy makes that supercharger.
well unlike SO MANY others on this board...he actually DOING and not just talking...whether it works out or not. no one else had the cajones to put any work into something like this...its always I "could" or "would".
Old 04-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by DA-MAX

well unlike SO MANY others on this board...he actually DOING and not just talking...whether it works out or not. no one else had the cajones to put any work into something like this...its always I "could" or "would".
well if the end result is flawed its pointless, thats like if I decided to buy a turbo and started cutting holes in my manifolds and posted pics, yeah Im doing something but it doesnt mean a damn thing.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by N34JZ

well if the end result is flawed its pointless, thats like if I decided to buy a turbo and started cutting holes in my manifolds and posted pics, yeah Im doing something but it doesnt mean a damn thing.
if there was no such thing as R&D and trial and error this import tuning thing would be going no where...I'm sure Greddy blew a few motors and made some ill decisions before they started making turbo kits. and for this dude to not even be a big company grants he should get even more props for doing this...it just goes back to people being all talk but no game.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:56 AM

for one, the "supercharger" is waaaay too small.. he'll be lucky to get 3lb of boost with it, as the turbine on a turbo needs to spin WAAAAY faster than what that thing would spin, even if the engine was at 6000rpm.

two... he's bolting it to the frame of the car and expecting it to contact the engine's belts? what happens the first time you touch the gas pedal? that's right, the engine moves and the belts either move away from the pulley, or rip the belt apart from stretching it.
oh i get what you're saying now.

he gotta make his engine run at an insane speed to make any usable boost. but props to him for trying
Old 04-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

sure Greddy blew some engines but they new the fundamentals behind what they were bulding, Im not telling anyone how to think I just feel that you have to accomplish alot more than supa max has/will with his setup to be more than "talk"
Old 04-09-2003, 12:41 PM

Fellas anyone can try but in the end, the end result is what counts!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I just feel that you have to accomplish alot more than supa max has/will with his setup to be more than "talk"
no, no...Supamax isn't the one making it...leeit2me is the guy making the supercharger and he wasn't making any claims yet, he was showing pics of the initial stages of him building it. Supamax is the one taking it to a whole nother level talking about a kit.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by DA-MAX

no, no...Supamax isn't the one making it...leeit2me is the guy making the supercharger and he wasn't making any claims yet, he was showing pics of the initial stages of him building it. Supamax is the one taking it to a whole nother level talking about a kit.
oh the other guy posted in the general forum right? I though it was the same person
Old 04-09-2003, 01:00 PM

End Result? I"m sorry but i'm not going to my little brother just because he lost at his championship game and telling him he sucks because you lost and nothing else matters. Point is he tried, and he gave it his best shot. And give the kind of encouragement to make them try harder and train better next time. Good Luck with the supercharger!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by MaximaTypeR
End Result? I"m sorry but i'm not going to my little brother just because he lost at his championship game and telling him he sucks because you lost and nothing else matters. Point is he tried, and he gave it his best shot. And give the kind of encouragement to make them try harder and train better next time. Good Luck with the supercharger!
It all depends on the situtation also. Hey I give this guy props for trying but who knows how effective it will be.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:32 PM

Well, guys not to get everybody in a up roar about this. But,I know there are people that think this project is cool and some think it's waste of time. But there are alot of creative mind out there and some just have the ***** to get it rolling. Yeah, even I don't know this project will work out or not. but atleast I try, it never hurts to try. I am Maxima Enthusiasts..(in this forum,we all are) if I can share my ideas and experience and pass it on to someone else that can improve in anyway.. I would give props to him or her.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by LeeIt2Me
Well, guys not to get everybody in a up roar about this. But,I know there are people that think this project is cool and some think it's waste of time. But there are alot of creative mind out there and some just have the ***** to get it rolling. Yeah, even I don't know this project will work out or not. but atleast I try, it never hurts to try. I am Maxima Enthusiasts..(in this forum,we all are) if I can share my ideas and experience and pass it on to someone else that can improve in anyway.. I would give props to him or her.
there will be a turbo kit avalible by september or sooner.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:52 PM

If you are actually serious,Im going to start saving my lunch money from now
Old 04-09-2003, 03:05 PM

i creamed in my pants just now.. damn.. maybe i should just do a 5spd swap with my max and wait for the turbo.

still waiting on the question to be asked. can i whoOp (name car here)
Old 04-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Maxirasta

If you are actually serious,Im going to start saving my lunch money from now
Im dead serious, In late august or early september Im going to have hlh0501 install one of his turbo's on my car and once he does mine (or anyone that gets there before I do) he will have the dimensions and bends etc... so he can just sell the kit without having you drive all the way to kentucky. Im pretty sure he sells the 4th gen and 5th gen kits for around 4K so once he does a VE I would think he would lower the price down around there.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:42 PM

Im dead serious, In late august or early september Im going to have hlh0501 install one of his turbo's on my car and once he does mine (or anyone that gets there before I do) he will have the dimensions and bends etc... so he can just sell the kit without having you drive all the way to kentucky. Im pretty sure he sells the 4th gen and 5th gen kits for around 4K so once he does a VE I would think he would lower the price down around there.
vg.. damn it.. anyways.. um the ve intake is almost in the same area of the 4th gen vq... all needed is the measurements of the piping..

all i know is us vg have lots of room in the engine bay but nothing to fill it with new toys
Old 04-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
vg.. damn it.. anyways.. um the ve intake is almost in the same area of the 4th gen vq... all needed is the measurements of the piping..
yeah but there is more to it than that, save up $5000 and drive to kentucky with me and you can get your vg turboed
Old 04-09-2003, 05:28 PM

yeah but there is more to it than that, save up $5000 and drive to kentucky with me and you can get your vg turboed
now the toughtest decision.. my left or righ nad for the turbo.. f it both of them for a turbo vg and nos with that..
Old 04-09-2003, 10:52 PM

All i was sayin is its good to see someone actually attempting something then jus talk because imo the 3rd gen is one of the best maximas around and either a supercharger or turbo kit would be sweet. We would be the ultimate sleeper still with class. I was jus assumin down the line there would be kits.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by SupaMax
We would be the ultimate sleeper still with class.
well said
Old 04-10-2003, 07:25 AM

oh reallllly? everything there is to know about superchargers, eh? he must really know a lot then..

I'll believe it when I see it running. just like all these other turbo posts.. "Yeah, it's almost complete, but I cracked this and I turned this off and I havent' tuned it yet, but I'm making about 15psi without an intercooler."

yeaaaaahhhhh.. pics? dyno slips? track runs? videos?
Yeah, actually... he ownes Superchargers, Inc., and that's about all they do there (hence the name). He knows a lot more about it than I do or anyone else that has nothing better to do than post on this board, for that matter. If all he had to do was moderate Maxima.org than I guess it wouldn't be likely he would know what he's doing, but he runs and works at a company that does nothing but supercharge cars. (his wife ownes it so that he can still work on development because he uses union labor and can't work there if he ownes the majority of the company). They are here in the Indy area, look them up if you want. They're pretty cool about answering any questions. My friend's boyfriend works there...

There won't be a kit but they archive everything and I'm sure you could have one built for a lot cheaper than a turbo once they burn through their usual prototypes.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by SupaMax
I was jus assumin down the line there would be kits.
and how many people will ACTUALLY front the money to buy it