3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Condenser and drier.. which brand to buy..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM

Condenser and drier.. which brand to buy..?

Guys..
Summer is coming... If you have my maxima you don't wan't hot summer... A/C doesn't work...

I got to fix it.. soon.

I had got it checked last year.. The mechanic said condenser has big leak...it seems..

Now I have to replace condenser and drier..

Two options..
1. Have mechanic do everything - buying, fixing it..
2. I can buy online and have mechanic only fix it..

I am not considering to do it all my self... I think it is tough to do it because most of things are rusted.. I am worried whether I mess up some thing... You guys think I can do it my self..???

Now my questions
Which brand should I go for condenser.. and drier..?
or should I buy OEM from Courtesy nissan... (any idea how much)

I don't mind if the parts little more pricey.. I don't want to have problems later becos of cheap parts...

Appreciate your feed back.. guys
Old 05-04-2003, 10:46 PM

Re: Condenser and drier.. which brand to buy..?

Originally posted by maximalover
Guys..
Summer is coming... If you have my maxima you don't wan't hot summer... A/C doesn't work...

I got to fix it.. soon.

I had got it checked last year.. The mechanic said condenser has big leak...it seems..

Two options..

I am not considering to do it all my self... I think it is tough to do it because most of things are rusted.. I am worried whether I mess up some thing... You guys think I can do it my self..???

Now my questions

I don't mind if the parts little more pricey.. I don't want to have problems later becos of cheap parts...

i'll sell you my whole A/C setup(or any parts of it). everything in perfect shape (just needs refridgerant). its already out of the car even (compressor is still attached to motor, but that'll come off with my front cyl head this week).
let me know.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:21 AM

Re: Condenser and drier.. which brand to buy..?

Originally posted by maximalover
Guys..

I got to fix it.. soon.

Two options..

Now my questions

Make sure you use all new seals when you work on the AC system! It'll leak if you use old stuff.

Its going to cost you an arm and a leg to fix a rusty AC system with the help of a mechanic. My suggestion is to live with the heat, and save up for another max. To do the job yourself requires a lot of specialized tools (ie. vacuum pump, pressure guages)
Old 05-05-2003, 06:51 AM

Re: Re: Condenser and drier.. which brand to buy..?

Originally posted by eric93SE

Make sure you use all new seals when you work on the AC system! It'll leak if you use old stuff.

Its going to cost you an arm and a leg to fix a rusty AC system with the help of a mechanic. My suggestion is to live with the heat, and save up for another max. To do the job yourself requires a lot of specialized tools (ie. vacuum pump, pressure guages)
OK let me tell you what I would and what I won't..

I got the A/C system checked and mechanic said I need to replace condenser and drier...

So I will only replace condenser and drier. After that I would go to mechanic... Then he can put refrigerant... and do the rest
I think for just replacement I don't think I need any special tools...
I guess then it is just as a recharge... (what I mean is it is not 2-3 hour work...)

Do you think it is a good idea...?

I got to get A/C... and my car has low miles...75K and running quite well...I am planning to keep it for a while
Old 05-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

last i check all the AC lines are mostly rubber and alum. you're not going to get rust on those alumimum lines.

condensor and the reciever/dryer is not bad of a job..use all new O-rings approved for the refrigrant you're going to use. if you're brave and lots of time on your hands it would help if you pull the bumper off to get to the condensor and dryer.

main thing to be careful during install is dirt...it must be 110% clean clean clean. after you install the parts go to your mechanic and have them do a leakdown test to make sure all is good. then have him flush it clean and recharge from there once all looks well.

also take note all the fittings are alum also...so man handling the fittings will result in broken/stripped fittings/bolts.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:02 PM

I agree...most parts are aluminum and aren't going to rust.

I recently did a 134a conversion on my girlfriend's Sentra. It took the best part of a day, but saved about $500-600 in labor. I replaced the drier and the expansion valve. The expansion valve is the worst part, as it's up under the dash. It is VERY important that if you are changing from one gas to another that you buy some cleaner and flush the system out really well. If you're not changing gas, don't worry with it.

Anyway, after having done it, I now will not have to pay for recharges. I went and bought guages and stuff too. The vacuum pumps can be bought at harbor freight for $15, but they require you to have an air compressor, as it's a vortex type of vac pump.

After buying guages, pump, 134a, oil, cleaner and all I came out spending less than I would have to take it to a shop...and I got all the stuff to do it again on other cars too.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:45 PM

where and which one to buy...?

I am planning to do replacement my self..based on all of your good tips..

Now I got quote from Courtesy parts ...
Condenser $258.26
Dryer $77.72
o-rings $1.25 each need 4
+ $12.50 S*H

Now I guess it Nissan OEM...
Do you think its a good price... for these items..?..

Or do you suggest go for after market?

The prices are OK for me if it worth it

Do I have to remove the radiator to take off condenser...?

Appreciate your feedback guys..
Old 05-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: where and which one to buy...?

I am all for buying oem when it comes to a lot of things but am not sure its worth the price for the condensor. I paid ~100 for my aftermarket condensor which is just a rebuilt oem I would imagine. I cant remember if that was shop price or not since I got it from a place I do a lot of business with. They will give me shop price a lot of times so it probably was.

Then again I am no air expert and just wanted my air working at a cheap price since I live in the south and air is a must for me.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: where and which one to buy...?

I'd go aftermarket. If anybody actually thinks that Nissan makes these parts themselves, they're sadly mistaken anyway....

I bought aftermarket stuff when I did the conversion I spoke of above, and it works fine. I think the dryer was about $27 or less...I didn't get any condenser, as I didn't have to.

On the seals...$1.25 each is way high. I would up buying some kind of "kit" that had seals intended for a Ford of some sort. I think I got about 8 seals for $2.

You may want to take it apart, and take your seals to the store and just find some that are the same...it worked fine for me.