3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

overheating...tried to fix it but i dunno??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:39 PM

overheating...tried to fix it but i dunno??

well this is the story:
one day i had my car parked and after like 30 min the temp went up(almost to the top) and i went out side and looked under the hood and my resevoir coolant was full...like there was no coolant going thru my engine. so i thought that this my be the thermostat or someting in my radiator. i got a new thermostat and hoses and replaced it myself.
i started the car without the raditor cap on so they air comes out. but at first the temp would not go up and than like 5 min later it jumps to normal, however the hoses were not hot so the coolant was not going thru. the finally the temp started to go up and coolant came out of the radiator cause of the air bubbles. i added some more coolant and no more air came out. i closed the radiator and drove it. the temp was normal wheni was driving but when i stoped for like 5 min the temp went up until the fans turned on and than it went down. than i drove it again and parked it and the temp went up again almost to the top but it didnt go down until i started to drive. Does the thermostat has to adjust or did i do something wrong when installing it? please help. Thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 09:03 PM
No turbo, no care!

Although you dont need to adjust your thermostat, you may have purchased the wrong one, or perhaps an inferior OEM. http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan..._oem_60k-vg30e <--Here you can find both the 76.5C and 82C thermostats. If you live in a warm climate and/or are experiencing overheating, you may want to go witht the 76.5C thermostat (which will begin flowing coolant at a lower temp) You may need to replace your water pump, flush your radiator system, or both in addition to replacing the thermostat. Cheers and good luck!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:42 AM

i had the same problem, but i knew what it was. leaky waterpump. drove around with a bottle of anti freeze in the trunk just incase. look under your car, if there is greenish liquid dripping, you have a leak in your lines or pump
Old 05-05-2003, 10:48 AM

Could also be a loose fan-belt, or perhaps the mixture in your anti-freeze was wrong. I think (but don't quote me on this) that anything less than 68-70% or so of anti-freeze will cause your engine to overheat.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Loose fan belt? Last time I checked we don't have any fan belts, they are electric fans.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:10 PM

i have lots of antifreeze and water. i put the whole thing of antifreeze and the rest of water. I checked the car today if it overheats but it hasnt. I turned on the AC and had it parked and the temp didnt go up. However i am wondering about the fans. They kick in when i have my AC on but not on when it is parked without the AC. When should the fans kick in?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:00 PM

Once I changed my resevoir only. It was also usually overflowed (past max) which was why I changed it. Anyway when I filled it to max it kept overheating. I ended up putting it back to the level I had it before and now things work.

What I'm trying to say is maybe you need to overfill it???? - I dont know
Old 05-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hah, hah, I've been cheating with death for the past two years. I actually took out the whole resivor in order to make room for my Jacobs ignition setup. At first I didn't do anything with the hose that went to the resivor. I didn't have problems for probably a year. I guess a bunch of water eventually evaporated out of the radiator so it started overheating when idling.

I eventually just crimped the hose and have not had problems with it. Eventually I plan on moving the ignition package and putting the resivor back in but at the moment it is doing well.

Don't flame me for this one guy's. I was just two excited about the Jacobs ignition that I only meant to temporarily remove the resivor but like all good college students I got lazy and never got around to putting it back.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:42 AM

Single or Double Core Radiator or Blocked Radiator

I had a long process trying to find out why the temp on my 89 would slowly rise on the highway after about a half hour of Florida driving. Turned out the single core radiator was partly blocked with sludge and when tested for water flow at "A Radiator Shop" it did not pass through enough water to cool properly. I changed it to a double core radiator and have not had a problem since.

You might have an air bubble trapped at the top of the engine there is a vent/cap/bolt that is on top of the engine that you can bleed the air out of .
Old 05-06-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by adamis
Loose fan belt? Last time I checked we don't have any fan belts, they are electric fans.
Yeah, I have an electric fan. FSM says that some VGs don't, though... ??? Obviously, if he looked in there and saw an electric fan he wouldn't be looking for the belt anyway

It was probably the mixture in your coolant. If that's not it try flushing it, your radiator could probably use it anyway.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:48 AM

when do the fans kick in? i know they kick in as soon as u turn the AC but when else. I mean like after u start it. i think there is something wrong with my fans. They dpnt turn on without the AC on, but once i turn on the AC they do. Maybe the temp of the engine is not hot enough for the fans to turn on. When do ur fans turn on? Is it both or just one?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:17 PM

it was a dirty sensor.