3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Installing my remote start...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 02:52 PM

Okay, so I'm a newby at this car stuff. I can figure stuff out pretty well though. I'm going to install my CrimeStopper remote start/remote locks unit this weekend into my 93gxe. I have a wiring schema for my car, and the short instructions that came with the unit.

Anyone that has installed these before have any hints before I get into it?

I'm in utah...and willing to pay some to do it as well. The local shop wants 135 bucks to install it.

What else could I look at to help me.

Thanks,
Matt

[Edited by newmaxguy on 01-24-2001 at 05:37 PM]
Old 01-24-2001, 03:47 PM

I have been thinking of installing such a system in my 93 gxe so please tell me how it goes.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:29 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I've been an installer for the last 10 years (not counting this past year, thanks to Amazon.com). If you guys have any questions, just shoot 'em my way if you want. I'd be more than happy to help. Too bad I don't live near Utah, because I'd probably charge you about half of that, newmaxguy.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:33 PM

i trust that you have power locks right?

if you dont... let someone else do it.. its WAY to much work...

if you do.. its still a pain in the ***... but can be done... just takes a little work... and a test meter and a 9 volt batter can be the 2 best tools in your bench then

tell me how it all goes... how much u pay for the starter, unlocker... im thinking of gettin one for my 91 se
Old 01-24-2001, 09:04 PM

Remote start...

The one thing you should really consider is the second ignition wire that is on our cars. The second ignition wire acts as a choke wire during cold engine start ups. This wire should be wired into your remote start because other wise your car would have a hard time starting in the cold. If you really want already written details check out Craig's website. Good luck and feel free to ask us questions if problems arise.
Old 01-24-2001, 09:26 PM
STFU n00b!

yup.. on the cold start wire, simply install a relay in-line between your main power and your 2nd starter wire.. have it controlled by the starter output from the crimestopper module..

other than that, it's very straight forward.
here's a link to the wiring diagrams on my website.. you WILL need both the MT and DEI color codes. at least I did on my GF's Altima anyway..
(note that some of the same wires have different colors listed from each page)..
on the GF's altima, one company listed the colors from one side of the connector going up the steering column, and the other brand listed the wires coming out the other side of the same connector.. and they were different colors of course!

you just have to watch stuff like that..
measure twice, splice once.

good luck!
Old 01-24-2001, 09:26 PM

Re: Remote start...

Thanks! Where is craigs website? I'd love to look at it. I looked at the manual and stuff and had nightmares of messing up my whole car. I called around and found a guy who'll do it for 80-100 bucks. I'm considering.

The Man in me says to do it myself...but for the love of my car, I might shell out the cash. (not to mention to keep my wifey sane! )

newmaxguy.

Originally posted by fornimage
The one thing you should really consider is the second ignition wire that is on our cars. The second ignition wire acts as a choke wire during cold engine start ups. This wire should be wired into your remote start because other wise your car would have a hard time starting in the cold. If you really want already written details check out Craig's website. Good luck and feel free to ask us questions if problems arise.
Old 01-24-2001, 10:01 PM

hmm, i was just thinkin about installing the keyless entry, no alarm, just doors, trunk and windows... how hard do you think this is to install? can i wire it so it will open the windows too if it has an aux key? my skill for install is a i just insalled my subwoofer myself, and thats about as far as my experience goes... how hard do you think it would be for me to just install this setup on my car?
Old 01-24-2001, 10:08 PM

very..... i would reccomend a friend that has a bit of skill in this area.... a prof installer that actually will do a decent job cost $$$$$ i have a friend that will do it 100 an hour... and dont like to do it!... if you find a prof like 50 or 100 dols hell do it all... run away fast... its cheap work.. .usually like big bubba who installs ... and dont need no gd fuse... this "fone" wire will do JUST fine!
Old 01-24-2001, 10:27 PM
STFU n00b!

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/max...ing%20Info.zip

there's that link.. sorry about that..
just unzip the file and there's lotsa info in it you'll find useful

I don't recommend doing the window module unless you're really good with it and have days to spend on this.
in order to install anything on the windows, you must run a seperate wire for each window into each door.. and getting a wire into the door is a huge PIA... take that from someone who's done it before.

If you're someone who's only done a sub install, I DON'T recommend trying this.. I'm very well versed in stereo installations, and I was still a little scared to chop into my wiring harness at first.

But then again, ryan fobart installed one in his car, and he knew less than nothing about car electronics.

Old 01-24-2001, 10:35 PM

haha alright, well i tink ill steer clear then and just do it prof... i was wondering about the window though because i have the code keyless entry and you know how you can open the front two windows from that, i was just wondering whetehr you could wire that feature to the remote.... i talked to a steroe place that my friend always goes to, they quoted me about 130 total including install for just the keyless entry.... sound like a deal?
Old 01-25-2001, 08:03 AM

it does sound like a deal.... there are alot of options for aftermarket alarms... open trunk... air condition/heat.. windows... open doors even...

find someone who got an alarm through them... it pays to do a lil research
Old 01-25-2001, 08:34 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i'm thinking how can u control the heat/AC w/ the alarm remote w/o actually setting the controls b4 you leave the car and run the auto start to it.

Originally posted by chrispy
it does sound like a deal.... there are alot of options for aftermarket alarms... open trunk... air condition/heat.. windows... open doors even...

find someone who got an alarm through them... it pays to do a lil research
Old 01-25-2001, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dan-that's usually the only way to do it; have the settings you want before you start the car and then the remote start just gives it power to turn on

Matt is right about the window, it would be a pain, but there might be some way to tap into the GXE keyless entry and do it from there, but I don't really know since I have a SE

BTW, ryan fobart had some help from someone else in his area when he did it (I wont name any names «§»)

$130 is a bit much I think ,but not too bad if you're paying for install; try watching ebay for good deals-there are a ton of them on there

I installed my keyless entry/alarm myself and it was fairly easy, but I've done lots of wiring stuff before so if you're not comfortable with that stuff, let someone else do it; if you're in my area, I could help you out

click on my car below to go to my site. it has info for my 93SE which should be the same or very close for other 3rd gens; be sure to check all the wires before you connect them just to be sure
Old 01-25-2001, 03:41 PM

thanks craig, i saw your webpage before and i looked at the wire diagagram, doesnt look to bad, but im probably better off not screwing around with it myself, cause i will probably mess it up no doubt. the 130 was including everything... instal and equiptment, i dunno i could probably deal down to 100. Im out in cali, haha i dont suspect your anywhere close... unless you feel ilke takin a road trip! ive seen all the ones off ebay, but since i dunno much about these things, i dont kow which ones are crap, and which ones are decent and all, but they ll seem to be extremly cheap. maybe if you konw of any good ones in specific that are listed on ebay just lemme konw, i dont think im gonna go for remote start and all, just hte simple lock unlock trunk and possibly the window think like i mentioned above... thanks!