3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help with alarm

I have a 94 max that I bought when it had about 55k miles. It has about 85k now. The car had all factory options with auto trans, digital a/c, bose cd/cassette, leather, power seats, sunroof, security? etc. I think it's not a SE.

I have two questions and would appreciate if some one can answer.
1. CD player is dead (radio/cassette work fine). Can I replace with after market HU with a suitable adapter from crutchfield (any good adapters)? Where can I find the HU trim to hold a single DIN? Also, I do not want to change any speakers and amps. Will this be an issue.?

2. I noticed that once in a while if I had all the doors locked from outside and the trunk is open for sometime, the alarm goes off. I do not have a remote to switch off. I have to unlock the doors using the key to turn it off. Does this mean that the car initialy came with factory installed security installed with possible door lock/unlock? If so, is there a way to get a remote??

thanks all for your time.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you'll need an adapter (not just the wiring harness) for you to be able to use a non-Bose headunit with bose speakers, check out the FAQ pages in the "important" post in the top of this forum for more info about that. Most people would just recommend replacing the speakers along with the HU at the same time but it can be done either way

these cars come with an alarm stock but not a remote for it; you can have a remote keyless entry system added at most alarm shops if you want or if you're decent at wiring, you could do it yourself

you have a GXE (digital A/C gives it away for US models)
Old 05-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
you'll need an adapter (not just the wiring harness) for you to be able to use a non-Bose headunit with bose speakers, check out the FAQ pages in the "important" post in the top of this forum for more info about that. Most people would just recommend replacing the speakers along with the HU at the same time but it can be done either way

these cars come with an alarm stock but not a remote for it; you can have a remote keyless entry system added at most alarm shops if you want or if you're decent at wiring, you could do it yourself

Thanks craig for the quick response.
One last question....do u know what the plastic thing (part name/number) between the tail lamps is?? (the one that has MAXIMA on it)?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

hey crieg got a write up on how to install a 4th and 5th gen keyless entry remote to a 3rd gen
Old 05-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the middle piece: not sure the technical name but it's trunk reflector or something like that. I'm sure if you called up a dealer (www.courtesyparts.com is a good place) and described it they could tell you. If you're looking for a new one, check junkyards because I'm sure dealer would be really expensive. There are 4 different ones for 3rd gens - 89-91 SE, 89-91 GXE, 92-94 SE, 92-94 GXE; check my homepage in teh model comparison part for pics of them

crazy4max - you'd have to add the entire keyless system from a 4th or 5th gen for the remote to work and it's easier to just get an aftermarket system than try to deal with that