3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Painting my maxima...!!???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:08 AM

Painting my maxima...!!???

I have 93 Maxima. It runs well so far and I have fixed most of the problems my self. No longer a newbie

Now moving on the beautfication project. My car is dark blue and like other maximas the paint flakes started coming off from Front Bumper. Following link is an example. My car is still worse.

http://www.exclusiveatlanta.com/fogs/fogsOnCar.jpg

So I am planning to paint just bumper my self. Of course there are some rusted spots hiding in body under the door..!! I might cover them up too

I am planning to order paint from www.Paintscratch.com . I will get spray cans.

Do I need to use Paint prep like one in the following for best results before I start painting..?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11135

Please Post your opinion
Old 06-24-2003, 08:15 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

IMHO, Michael (awsm66) and Geoff (nismo1989) would be the authorities on that. But off the top of my head, I'd say yes. Use some kind of prep to remove all the surface grime, wax, and any other build-up for better paint adhesion.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:11 AM

I used a clay bar and some Maguire's paint cleaner for touch up. When I painted the whole car, I used paint prep... but only after sanding the whole thing.

If there is any wax currently on the car when you paint it you will see it in the paint (if you even get it to stick... which you won't for long).

You should make the small investment in that paint prep stuff for sure. You should also primer, and sand for adhesion.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by nubiannupe
IMHO, Michael (awsm66) and Geoff (nismo1989) would be the authorities on that. But off the top of my head, I'd say yes. Use some kind of prep to remove all the surface grime, wax, and any other build-up for better paint adhesion.
no I am no authouity on painting...I am just learning and I ask my good friend in the business and others what I need to do.

I would try to get all the paint off of the bumper if possible because if you dont then other areas will probably start to peal...not to mention the bumper will look funny because there will be high and low spots (high where the paint is still on and low where there is no paint). Only problem is that it is dificult to do on a plastic bumper. If you use a paint remover it could damage the plastic and sanding it will also mess the plastic up. Go to a paint supply store and ask them for there recomendation for a product to remove the paint but not mess the bumper up. It might come out cheaper to go ahead and have somone do the bumper for you but if you do get the paint from paintscratch go ahead and get the flex agent put in. Remember that the paint from paintscratch is probably a base coat/ clear coat or at least some are acording to their site so be sure and get clear too.

Oh and if you remove all the paint then you should be good to go with just sanding and priming and them painting so I dont think you would need the paint prep.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

here check this page out. I found this while searching for something and thought it would be perfect for you to read.

http://www.autobodypro.com/tektips/a...lastic_sec.htm

also read other articles on the site...some good stuff on there.