3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Hey

My clock and temperature control on my dash flickers off and on from time to time somtimes it will go off like I was wondering if anyone ever had this problem and how difficult it is to change these bulbs. Please email me and let me know asap I would really appreciate it

Thanks

Wes
Old 07-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Originally posted by WesLark
Hey

My clock and temperature control on my dash flickers off and on from time to time somtimes it will go off like I was wondering if anyone ever had this problem and how difficult it is to change these bulbs. Please email me and let me know asap I would really appreciate it

Thanks

Wes
its not bulbs that do it. They have cold solder joints or bad caps. If you check the FAQs you will see a few good how to sites.

now if you want to change the bulbs in the climate control that light up the buttons then you have to pull the climate control out to do it. In a manual climate control there are 2 lights on the top that you have to pull a littl flap up to see. On the auto climate control the lights are in the bottom and there are several instead of just 2 like the manual ones.

here are a couple of pics of where the auto climate control bulbs are:

here is a link to pics of the auto climate control bulb locations just click on the 2 links on that page.

againg though if its the display going out (the little digital numbers) its not bulbs thats the problem.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:59 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

to pull the auto control unit out you have to take the trip piece around the radio and control off. There are 2 screws on it...1 under the ash tray and the other on the left side above the little coin tray. then just push the control back and turn it sideways after you undo the 4 screws to it. It will come on out the hole its in (see in my pics). When you put the cover that goes around the radio and climat control back on be sure to hook the tube and wire back up that goes to the front of it (only on auto climate control equiped vehicles)
Old 07-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Hey thanks for the reply

But im not sure if I understand, But sometimes i gotta tap on the clock or climate control to be bright like its supposed to be. So its not the bulbs that is the problem ? Its something else ?

Thanks So Much

Wes

Originally posted by awsm66

its not bulbs that do it. They have cold solder joints or bad caps. If you check the FAQs you will see a few good how to sites.

now if you want to change the bulbs in the climate control that light up the buttons then you have to pull the climate control out to do it. In a manual climate control there are 2 lights on the top that you have to pull a littl flap up to see. On the auto climate control the lights are in the bottom and there are several instead of just 2 like the manual ones.

here are a couple of pics of where the auto climate control bulbs are:

here is a link to pics of the auto climate control bulb locations just click on the 2 links on that page.

againg though if its the display going out (the little digital numbers) its not bulbs thats the problem.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Hey thanks for the reply

But im not sure if I understand, But sometimes i gotta tap on the clock or climate control to be bright like its supposed to be. So its not the bulbs that is the problem ? Its something else ?

Thanks So Much

Wes

just gotta retouched the solder joints. MAYBE you have to replace caps.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Where do I find these lol, and where can I find some to buy to replace the old ones, can I get them at like AutoZone or do I have to go to my Nissan Dealer and have them order them

Originally posted by DanNY

just gotta retouched the solder joints. MAYBE you have to replace caps.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Where do I find these lol, and where can I find some to buy to replace the old ones, can I get them at like AutoZone or do I have to go to my Nissan Dealer and have them order them

You dont seem to knwo what you are doing so I would recommend taking the clock to someone you know who is good with electronics. The joints on the back of the circuit board need to be re-soldiered (sp?) and one or more of the capacitors may need to be replaced. There is a good writeup here http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html

Good luck
Old 07-11-2003, 03:41 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing bulbs behind the digital clock and digital temperature control

Originally posted by bigbadbeck

You dont seem to know what you are doing....