3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just finished painting my dash!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 04:22 PM
visions-kru

I just finished painting my dash...i still wanna do the piece around the gauges, and the piece behind the steering wheel...I painted it white, and i sanded of the rough part of the dash to make it all smooth....it looks ill....haha...people pay $300 for a dash kit and i made mine for $9 at wal mart

Old 02-04-2001, 04:35 PM
Tomo

silver?

Old 02-04-2001, 06:03 PM
visions-kru

huh? silver?...um...no....i painted it white....i was originally gonna do it metallic silver....and i painted the piece around the auto. shifter silver....but it looked kinda gay.....so i sanded it all down....went to wal mart...and i did it white.....it looks phatty

Old 02-04-2001, 08:05 PM

What color is your car? Interior/Exterior? BTW: I'd like to see how it came out. Maybe If we all end up going to the mini-meet sometime soon you can check mine out too. I painted the trim around the guages Medium Gray Metallic. And the rest of the dash aluminum metallic. Post a pic if you can.

Here's mine
Old 02-05-2001, 05:58 PM
visions-kru

my exterior/interior color is charcoal/grey....the part i painted was black (around the radio, where the clock is etc.)...im planning on painting some more pieces white...and i want to do the door handles......how did u paint the trim around your gauges?.....how did u take it out?......BTW..i cant post any pics right now cuz i dont have a scanner or a digital camera....so if i find someone who has either..then i'll post some pics......peace

Old 02-05-2001, 06:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Questions...

What kind of paint is it that you guys used exactly?

Is there any procedures in preparing the dash to be painted? Like you mentioned you sanded it down, any kind of primer or anything? Or something applied over the paint?

Did you remove the dash? Is it hard?

I don't want it to have that cheap, rough spray paint feel... Did you apply some kind of primer over it?

I was thinking of doing that before, I like that Medium grey metallic that DaBox has the trim around gauges in.. My interior is grey and black so I think it would fit well....

thanx
Old 02-05-2001, 06:40 PM
visions-kru

LONG

TYPE OF PAINT: went to wal mart and bought KRYLON primer, kry. HIGH-GLOSS indoor/outdoor paint, and krylon clear coat.

SANDING: I sanded it mostly with a light/medium grade sandpaper....then when all the rough finish was gone, i used a light grade sandpaper to make it all smooth...(this is gonna take a while, but make sure there is no grain showing)

REMOVING THE DASH: the part that goes around the radio, i took off with a flathead screwdriver in the top-left corner of that piece (there are 2 screws under the ash tray, take those out first)....then u have to unclip the Hazard wires, LIghter, and that thing that says Power/control....

Painting: B4 u paint...clean the dash with a cleaner/degreaser...then Prime it with a light coat...then a coat that will cover the dash piece....let it dry for at least 2 hours, before you put your paint on....put 2 or 3 coats of paint on..let it dry overnight....then clear coat it with 2 or 3 coats..let that dry overnight...if your dash came out lookin shiny..u did it right...if not, sand it and do it over.

my dash is very shiny and it looks dope...and i had never painted anything before...just take your time...dont put heavy coats on (the paint will run)...and u'll be happy...peace

Old 02-05-2001, 06:53 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

thanks for the info bro!..

Doesn't sound too complicated.. I need to fix the car up, then decide if I'm going to hold on to it or not. If yes, I'll paint the dash on my next vocation.

once again, thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2001, 07:01 PM
visions-kru

no prob....if you decide to paint it...tell me how it goes and post some pics....im gonna as soon as my cheap *** dad buys a digital camera....peace.....REMEMBER: take your time, cuz i fu*ked up a on that piece around the shifter (the paint ran)...so i had to sand it all down and start over....but if your gonna do it right..and dont rush it...cuz i gaurentee u that u will f*cked up if u do....but no pressure..lol