3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how many miles per 1/2 tank of gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 06:30 PM

how many miles per 1/2 tank of gas

i was wondering how many miles you all get per 1/2 tank of gas, i get about 110, mostly city and some highway/parkway. is this average, or is it too low, and i try to cruise most to the time.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:41 PM

Re: how many miles per 1/2 tank of gas

Originally posted by maxima2k2
i was wondering how many miles you all get per 1/2 tank of gas, i get about 110, mostly city and some highway/parkway. is this average, or is it too low, and i try to cruise most to the time.
That is pretty bad. I usually get between 150 and 175 when it's at half tank. So are you only getting 220 per tank? If so, mine used to only get that. I seemed to have cured that by adding Gunk fuel injector cleaner, which costs less than $2.00, once a month. Also, make sure that you are using premium fuel. My car runs like garbage on anything less than the high octane. I also believe that Sunoco gas blows, so use something other than that. Put it this way, when I had my timing advanced and decided to use Sunoco 94 octane, my car actually knocked, but as soon as I refilled with Sheetz gas (93 octane) the knocking went away. I don't keep my timing advanced all of the time because my car idles funky.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:48 PM

Re: Re: how many miles per 1/2 tank of gas

yes i think i only get about 110 per 1/2, and i always use 93 premium fuel at exxon. also i dont know if my dad ever cleaned the fuel injectors or not ever since we had the max.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:07 PM

what's with the low milage? i get about 430 miles to the tank.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i get about 130 - 150 per half. 430 to a tank holy crap i get around 220 - 240 i used to get 280 - 300 but i need to replace some stuff to get that back youd think when injectors go bad youd get better gas milage but thats definitly not the case
Old 08-16-2003, 08:36 AM

yeah i was driving to south padre island from houston. i filled up in houston before the trip, and at half-tank, i driven about 215 miles.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:38 AM

I always get 400 miles to a tank in city driving (I've only ran out once, and it was at exactly 400). Couple of things to try...

Change the fuel filter
Change the air filter
Change the O2 sensor
Old 08-16-2003, 09:48 AM

Re: how many miles per 1/2 tank of gas

About half as far as a full tank....
Old 08-16-2003, 09:33 PM

Yeah, the question should be about the full tank because sometimes, for some reason, it doesn't let you fill it up completely. I average between 300 and 330, depending on my AC usage.

The guys with 400+, I will pay you to tell me the secret of it.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:35 PM

I've gotten 450 on a ALL freeway stint. Arounf town I get about 250 out of 14 gallons due to my heavy foot.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:07 PM

I got about 450 too, when it was all highway (ohio to florida). Around town I usually get 350ish depending on how much I use the a/c.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by anaximander
The guys with 400+, I will pay you to tell me the secret of it.
go easy on the gas, don't shoot off the line all the time. also keep your air filter clean and make sure your tires are properly inflated
Old 08-17-2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan

go easy on the gas, don't shoot off the line all the time. also keep your air filter clean and make sure your tires are properly inflated

damn i dont do any of that the only thing i do though is make sure my tires are properly inflated
Old 08-17-2003, 08:57 PM

No other mechanical tips other than a clean airfilter? I just installed one and I can only dream of 400. Is that your highway usage? I never drive long distances, my 300-330 is in the city.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fosgate Fan
what's with the low milage? i get about 430 miles to the tank. [/QUOTE

sorry, but do you live in New York with the kind os stop and go traffic we get? If your getting 430/tank, what's your secret?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:57 PM

Couple of mileage "secrets"...

If you have a stick, when you are slowing down DO NOT put it in neutral. When you are decelerating in gear your car turns off most of the fuel going to the engine and you are getting around 70-100 miles per gallon. If you don't believe me, drive in a car that gives you instant mileage, it will be an eye opener. Be "smooth" when you drive. Drive with the mentality that everytime you hit the brakes you are loosing mileage. Don't do hard jumps, keep it in the highest gear possible (again, for those with a stick). Follow the above advice. Keep tire pressure up, change the fuel filter often (15-20k), make sure the air filter is clean, make sure your brakes are in good shape (don't laugh, my old Dodge was getting 8-9 MPG because the calipers were frozen, it shot up to 12-13 after I got it fixed), make sure you are not leaking vacuum anywhere and make sure your O2 sensor is good. Gas mileage isn't a one fix solution, it is a series of small things that add up to good mileage. Companies advertise that there air filters give "10% more mileage"! Sure they do, if your filter is so clogged it looks like you have a piece of brick in there. One more thing that is overlooked, make sure you have the absolute minimum of crap in your car. Extra weight hurts mileage. You would be surprised at how much weight you can take out of your car by cleaning it.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:24 PM

Vacuum leaks are sneaky and often overlooked. Good points.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:37 PM

no i don't live in new york, but houston traffic can be crazy as well . 3/4 of my driving time are highway. and the other 1/4 in stop and go traffic. i used to get lower milage when i was was hard on the gas and was hard on the engine. i don't drive that harsh anymore. no secret really.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:32 AM

'94 GXE: 140-170 miles in city; 200-220 miles hwy
'92 SE:
Old 08-18-2003, 02:34 AM

'94 GXE: 140-160 miles in city; 200-220 miles hwy
'92 SE: 150-170 miles in city; 215-230 miles hwy

Gasoline used: 91 octane or better
Other: Always use some form of fuel injector cleaner every oil change.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Tall

If you have a stick, when you are slowing down DO NOT put it in neutral. When you are decelerating in gear your car turns off most of the fuel going to the engine and you are getting around 70-100 miles per gallon. If you don't believe me, drive in a car that gives you instant mileage, it will be an eye opener. Be "smooth" when you drive. Drive with the mentality that everytime you hit the brakes you are loosing mileage. Don't do hard jumps, keep it in the highest gear possible (again, for those with a stick). Follow the above advice. Keep tire pressure up, change the fuel filter often (15-20k), make sure the air filter is clean, make sure your brakes are in good shape (don't laugh, my old Dodge was getting 8-9 MPG because the calipers were frozen, it shot up to 12-13 after I got it fixed), make sure you are not leaking vacuum anywhere and make sure your O2 sensor is good. Gas mileage isn't a one fix solution, it is a series of small things that add up to good mileage. Companies advertise that there air filters give "10% more mileage"! Sure they do, if your filter is so clogged it looks like you have a piece of brick in there. One more thing that is overlooked, make sure you have the absolute minimum of crap in your car. Extra weight hurts mileage. You would be surprised at how much weight you can take out of your car by cleaning it.
Dead on point. Good advice!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:31 AM

If you have a stick, when you are slowing down DO NOT put it in neutral. When you are decelerating in gear your car turns off most of the fuel going to the engine and you are getting around 70-100 miles per gallon. If you don't believe me, drive in a car that gives you instant mileage, it will be an eye opener.
The rest of your points were all good, but this one I have to question. What is the difference betwenn shifing into neautral or just depressing the clutch with regards to fueal mileage.

I understand all about how the injectors are turned off when not needed.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nmax92
what's with the low milage? i get about 430 miles to the tank. [/QUOTE

sorry, but do you live in New York with the kind os stop and go traffic we get? If your getting 430/tank, what's your secret?
Maybe he is shifting at 1500rpm. I can't ever drive my car normally. I can go maybe a quarter tank before I start gearheading a little. I bet if I shifted at 2000rpm or lower, I could probably see close to the 400 per tank mark.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:20 AM

do some or all of these methods apply to an auto as well? and how can you loose mileage when breaking!?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:19 AM

Couple of answers. You don't loose mileage while braking, it was an expression. What I meant is you should coast as much as possible to a stop. If you are slamming on the brakes everytime you stop, you are not getting the best mileage you can. It means you are bring too aggressive going to a stop. I have a friend who goes through a set of brake pads every 70,000 miles! Course he lives in a very rural area, but you get the idea.

There is no difference from putting it in neutral and depressing the clutch. What I was trying to say is leave it in gear till you are almost to a stop. I generally put it in neutral when I get down to abou 10 MPH. I want to get that 80 MPG for as long as possible.

Autos are the same way on the coasting thing, it just never goes into neutral, which is a good thing (except when you are at a dead stop, which is why sticks get better mileage in the city). So you don't have to do anything on an automatic to do this trick. An automatic also stays in the highest gear possible at all times, so you do not have to worry about that. One trick for an automatic is to be real easy on it when you accelerate. If the tranny downshifts while accelerating, you are loosing mileage.

You can ignore everything said here and still get good mileage. These are just some tricks to help you out a bit. I like to get on mine every once in a while too. I still get 400 miles on a tank (more if I'm on a roadtrip...my record is 450 on a tank, but I was pretty low) even if I am hard on it. I usually shift at about 2500-3000, but could get better mileage shifting at a lower RPM - it's just not as fun shifting that low
Old 08-19-2003, 11:21 AM

Calgary to Windermere through Golden cruising at about 150KPH I got 440 kilometers to the half tank.

However, the top of my tank seems to be A LOT bigger.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:12 PM

uhhh...440 km...that's about 273 miles at half tank. 546 miles to a tank?! how the heck did you manage that going at 93 mph??? how big if your tank? here in the states, our tanks are 18.5 gallons (70 liters). i don't think your tank is much bigger than ours.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:00 PM

I haven't any idea. Like I said the bottom half of my tank seems smaller. I only got like 230-250 kms on the bottom half doing 93mph (on the way home).

=\
Old 08-20-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Kennedy
I haven't any idea. Like I said the bottom half of my tank seems smaller. I only got like 230-250 kms on the bottom half doing 93mph (on the way home).

=\
also when putting gas, how many of you top it off, how many clicks after the first one (which tells you its full) do you add?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:14 PM

I used to pull out the gas handle a bit after the first click. I stopped doing that after I overdid it one time, and had gas all over my leg. To make matters worse, I had to pay in cash and stand in the line smelling like a gas tank. I also had to wash the clothes/shoes immediately and separately from others. Don't embarrass yourself, just pull it out after the first click.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:26 PM

Did you have a tune-up? If not start with spark plugs. When I got this changed, I think my miles went up about 70 miles for full tank.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:13 PM

also when putting gas, how many of you top it off, how many clicks after the first one (which tells you its full) do you add?
Until it reaches the next dollar amount. Ex: 1st click at $9.34, I go until $10.00. However, when I am measuring gas mileage, I will stop at the first click so that I have a frame of reference for the next fill.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by anaximander
I used to pull out the gas handle a bit after the first click. I stopped doing that after I overdid it one time, and had gas all over my leg. To make matters worse, I had to pay in cash and stand in the line smelling like a gas tank. I also had to wash the clothes/shoes immediately and separately from others. Don't embarrass yourself, just pull it out after the first click.
how many clicks more did you put after the first one to get gas spilled on your leg i usally put like three or four clicks after the first one, and i never had that happen to me before.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by max_pusher
Did you have a tune-up? If not start with spark plugs. When I got this changed, I think my miles went up about 70 miles for full tank.
well i dont know about the spark plugs, but my dad had to change the spark plug wires becuase one of them was start to fall apart near the connector , when he tried to pull the connector out of the socket, it just came off, so he replace them, but im not sure about the plugs
Old 08-22-2003, 03:45 AM

well i dont know about the spark plugs, but my dad had to change the spark plug wires becuase one of them was start to fall apart near the connector , when he tried to pull the connector out of the socket, it just came off, so he replace them, but im not sure about the plugs
Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX

Until it reaches the next dollar amount. Ex: 1st click at $9.34, I go until $10.00. However, when I am measuring gas mileage, I will stop at the first click so that I have a frame of reference for the next fill.
wow man, you really do that and it doesn overflow?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:19 AM

No overflow. The only time that I had an overflow was when I tried to get about 5 clicks .