3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power steering making noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 05:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Power steering making noise?

Hello All
I have noticed lately that the power steering is making noise while I am turning it. User to be that it made noise when it was turned all the way right or left, but I noticed over the weekend that at 5mph it makes noise with moderats turning. I checked the fluid ant it seems to be fine.
Anyone have sugestions on what I should look for?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 06:21 AM

thats the noise mine made on its way out, i had to get a new one not to long after
Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys...long time reader but never been a big poster around here.
Anyways I have a 99 i30t and it seems that as of yesterday I'm having a similar problem and figured it would be better to bring back an old post rather than making a new.

My car is making a squeaking noise at even slow speeds when I turn the wheel right - not so much left - but definitely right. I immediately figured it was oemthing with power steering.

Any input? Is this my power steering pump? Power steering belt? Power steering fluid being bad?

And lastly, if I don't do this myself how much will it cost about? Is this not too hard of a job to do?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM

A squeaking noise is usually a belt slipping on the pulley. There are a few things I would do. First I would check the power steering fluid level, and condition. If it is terribly dirty, or smells bad I would change it. Check the air pressure in your tires, if they are low fill them up (you should be doing this weekly anyway). If you have any tie rod ends, or ball joints with grease fittings, I would take this opportunity to grease them up. Finally, I would replace the belt. Even if none of these fix your problem, they are all good general maintenance items, and should be taken care of. If, after doing all of this (and making sure that the new belt is tensioned properly) you still get noise from the system, then there is likely a problem with the power steering pump, or perhaps the rack.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM

My pump is leaking also. I couldn't figure out whether it was the front seal or the PS pump, but it started making noise and I found the PS fluid to be low. Topped it off and the noise stopped, but this winter I need to rebuild the pump.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Throwdown
Hey guys...long time reader but never been a big poster around here.
Anyways I have a 99 i30t and it seems that as of yesterday I'm having a similar problem and figured it would be better to bring back an old post rather than making a new.

My car is making a squeaking noise at even slow speeds when I turn the wheel right - not so much left - but definitely right. I immediately figured it was oemthing with power steering.

Any input? Is this my power steering pump? Power steering belt? Power steering fluid being bad?

And lastly, if I don't do this myself how much will it cost about? Is this not too hard of a job to do?

Thanks!
long time reader? you registered this month, and this is your first post, which you dug up because you couldn't post a new one, and you should be asking this in the fourth gen forum...honesty is the best policy
Old 10-25-2007, 03:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by sublunary
long time reader? you registered this month, and this is your first post, which you dug up because you couldn't post a new one, and you should be asking this in the fourth gen forum...honesty is the best policy
You can read all posts in the open forums without registering..Hell i found this site in 02/registered in sep.03 and didn't post my first post until 8 months later..

It's called lurking..
Old 10-25-2007, 03:50 PM

hell ive been on here a long time and ive only posted 300 times. if read posts were counted id be in the thousands
almost everything i know about cars has come from the fsm and the .org
Old 10-25-2007, 04:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by sublunary
hell ive been on here a long time and ive only posted 300 times. if read posts were counted id be in the thousands
almost everything i know about cars has come from the fsm and the .org
I read almost every thread from the beginning to time of first post...no sheit,almost all of them..

The wealth of info almost gave me a brain overload..

Maybe it did?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM

I have the same problem. It makes like a whining noise. I have replace my Rack and my power steering pump. Its definatly not a belt noise. Also i have replaced power steering hose. The story is like this. I had my rack and pinion leak like crazy i replaced it No noise when it was leaking. After that my mechanic noticed my main power steering hose was leaking. While it was leaking no noise changed it and i got the noise. Then my PS pump was on its way and i replaced it and was hopping the sound would be gone. Replaced it and it is still there. It makes noise when the wheel is straight,when you turn it its much worse. Now i had a friend tell me that when they changed your Rack and a pinion they didnt let all the air out. also goes same for the PS pump. its really anoying.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:32 AM
mod or sell?

try bleeding the system
Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM

Anyone have any tips or better yet instructions on how to rebuild the PS pump? The FSM just really shows an exploded view of the pump but no rebuild instructions.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I read almost every thread from the beginning to time of first post...no sheit,almost all of them..
wow, thats crazy. thats a lot of reading. does you wife still remember what you look like?
Old 10-27-2007, 06:42 AM
LvR

After that my mechanic noticed my main power steering hose was leaking. While it was leaking no noise changed it and i got the noise.
You should remove the new replacement hose from your vehicle and go bash the guy that supplied it ever so lightly around the ears - for quite an extended period of time.

The twits that make up these replacement hoses do not properly adhere to its original Nissan specs (smaller ID hoses, banjo couplings with poor flow characteristics because of smaller machined channels, bad crimping techniques etc etc) .................... the result is reduced flow (effectively a "blockage" at certain locations on the hose) and the inevitable result is noisy flow passing though that assembly ..............
Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
You should remove the new replacement hose from your vehicle and go bash the guy that supplied it ever so lightly around the ears - for quite an extended period of time.

The twits that make up these replacement hoses do not properly adhere to its original Nissan specs (smaller ID hoses, banjo couplings with poor flow characteristics because of smaller machined channels, bad crimping techniques etc etc) .................... the result is reduced flow (effectively a "blockage" at certain locations on the hose) and the inevitable result is noisy flow passing though that assembly ..............
thats interesting. i replaced mine along with the pump and i think i am still getting some leakage in the general area of the high pressure hose and i still get some noise. the hose was not from the dealer and i now im wondering if there is noise/leaking because of a restriction inside...
Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 PM

so you guys saying its my main power steering hose??? doesn't make much sense. It was not a cheap hose it was $65 plus like a $10-15 labor. I seen the receipt my self.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM

Grinding Noise

After my pressure hose went out, I had it replaced but since then my steering has made this low whine, almost like a grinding sound. My dad's 89 had it's hose go out about 6 weeks after mine and he's having the same trouble after replacement. My rack leaks a bit, his doesn't.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by whitemax89
so you guys saying its my main power steering hose??? doesn't make much sense. It was not a cheap hose it was $65 plus like a $10-15 labor. I seen the receipt my self.
No - I am saying that based on situations I had in the past and it would seem the people experiencing the same noisy steering on their Maxs all have one thing in common - ie - replacing the HP hose on the steering.

If you are quite sure you don't have air trapped in the suction side of the pump causing pump cavitation, then yes this may very well be your problem too.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 AM
mod or sell?

I replaced it on my VE (last one) and it worked perfectly fine. of course it wasn't one from autopepays or the like. it was installed by trained professionals though
Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also they forget to check for valves in the high press hose. Very important to flow and NOISE!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM

You res-erected this for that? To build a up post? Try applying post to more up to date threads.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM

first start by jacking up the car and having someone turn your wheel left to right. check the PS pump, high presser lines. if that is not the problem look at your PS rack and see if it is leaking if so bingo i had to replace my PS rack in my 94 max not to long ago it the noise has stoped
Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 92 Max
Anyone have any tips or better yet instructions on how to rebuild the PS pump? The FSM just really shows an exploded view of the pump but no rebuild instructions.
First of all...find the source of the leak! If it is the P/s pump it's easy as hell to rebuild....there are about 3 or 4 seals....the pump splits in half...my younger Brother rebuilt his Altima P/S pump and I was impressed cause he's really not equipped with alot of mechanical skills so I know you can do it! The #1 reason your making noise is low fluid level and introducing air into the system......again Find your LEAK 1st!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM

I had a new pump and rack put in a few years ago. It has whinned ever since and the reason the mechanics said was because most rebuilt pumps make noise.

I believe the high pressure line wasnt replaced, or was: not sure now.

So would it being replaced with an OEM HP line, solve this finally?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM

The answer to your question is yes. OEM
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Mine used to leak all the time. I had to constantly refill it. It always worked well though.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by whitemax89
I have the same problem. It makes like a whining noise. I have replace my Rack and my power steering pump. Its definatly not a belt noise. Also i have replaced power steering hose. The story is like this. I had my rack and pinion leak like crazy i replaced it No noise when it was leaking. After that my mechanic noticed my main power steering hose was leaking. While it was leaking no noise changed it and i got the noise. Then my PS pump was on its way and i replaced it and was hopping the sound would be gone. Replaced it and it is still there. It makes noise when the wheel is straight,when you turn it its much worse. Now i had a friend tell me that when they changed your Rack and a pinion they didnt let all the air out. also goes same for the PS pump. its really anoying.
Hi did you find out what it was finally? I have the same problem and I'm about to replace Aubagio
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

jerry12

My power steering pressure hose was leaking and I replace it with a after market from Pep boys, Omega was the brand. It started making a whining noise when I turn and at low speeds. I drove for a week until I could take it any more. I called the dealer and they said that the all after market hose have the same problem, the opening of the hose is to small. I contact Pep boys and the gived me my money back. I bought the hose from dealer and I installed it but this time I forgot to bleed for air and this time no more noise. Its been 3 month with out that whining sound.