3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Seat Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:03 AM

Seat Belt Noise

Okay I've searched a number of times with no results addressing this issue...

My driver's side seat belt is making excessive creaking noises that are coming from the top piece (the one that adjusts the height of the seat belt)... I've pinpointed the noise to be coming from inside the component that allows for the belt to move around...

-can anyone advise me on how to fix this problem? perhaps a little lithium grease?
-in addition, if I have to open that sucker up, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:35 PM

suggestions anyone???
Old 10-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Way out West

Do canadian maximas have auto seatbelts or manual?

My automatic ones creak when they are tight (locked). Like if I come to a hard stop and then open the door. I usually unlatch it.

You could call a dealership and ask them what kind of grease they use on the seat belt assembly. Calling a dealership usually doesn't cost anything!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:41 PM
mod or sell?

Just for your information. The US maxs had the "automatic" seatbelts not the permanet mount ones like the canadian models
sucks for us. but that is the way it goes
Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Do canadian maximas have auto seatbelts or manual?

My automatic ones creak when they are tight (locked). Like if I come to a hard stop and then open the door. I usually unlatch it.

You could call a dealership and ask them what kind of grease they use on the seat belt assembly. Calling a dealership usually doesn't cost anything!
I've tried the dealer before and they're generally of little help - ie I asked where I could find the "master" combination to my keypad, and they said check the trunk ...

i wish I had the auto seatbelts though... they seem pretty pimp - the ultimate lazy boy invention

Anyhow ill try out some door hinge grease - hope it doesn't f it up.

-Further suggestions still welcomed .
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Way out West

Auto seatbelts suck. That's why no one uses them anymore. You still have to reach over and put the lap belt on, anyway, so it's not like you're being any lazier. The only good thing about them, is you know the cops won't give you a ticket for no seat belt.

Since you have manual seat belts, I would just take apart the trim that the seat belt is on and shoot everything with a spring or hinge with really light lithium grease.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:07 PM

Auto seatbelts suck. That's why no one uses them anymore. You still have to reach over and put the lap belt on, anyway, so it's not like you're being any lazier. The only good thing about them, is you know the cops won't give you a ticket for no seat belt.

Since you have manual seat belts, I would just take apart the trim that the seat belt is on and shoot everything with a spring or hinge with really light lithium grease.
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM

Auto seatbelts suck. That's why no one uses them anymore.
I disagree. First off auto seatbelts deduct almost $500 a year from insurance.

And you don't have to put the lap belt on. You are endangering yourself and it is also against the law but if you are making a quick trip to 711 at like 2 in the morning with no traffic on the road then it's not the worst thing in the world to leave it off.

I don't know if regular manual seatbelts do this, but I noticed that when I step on the brake harder than normal, the seat belt will lock up and prevent my body from moving foward. I've never felt this on any of my cars with manual seatbelts but then again all of our manual seatbelt cars are pretty old. All I know is that it's a damn good feature.

The only thing that I don't like about automatic seatbelts is if you are carrying something on your lap, like a pizza box and it's time to get out of the car you have to manuver your arms and the box under and/or around the belt.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

torontomaxima, my fixed belt does the same thing, theres a creaking or sorts from the height adjusting point. Its only recently started. I levered off the plastic trim, and sprayed some silicone spray in there, but it hasn't helped... so, post back if you work it out!

Scott
Old 10-15-2003, 02:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally I absolutely love the seatbelts in our maxima's. It's just a habbit now, but sometimes I do have to point out to passangers that they dont have their lap belts on.

The seatbelts in my 1993 Maxima Saved my life, and the lives of my 3 passangers. Myself and my 3 passangers are 4 walking, talking, breathing reminders that seatbelts do save lives, and the ones in our maxima's are not crap.

If anything else, my youngest step sister loves the auto seat belts, she thinks their cool
Old 10-15-2003, 05:12 AM
mod or sell?

Personally I find em dangerous. when they put them on the track they moved em 2+ inches further forward rendering them basically useless to me. because they do not rest on my chest or shoulder as they are supposed to. It is a design flaw and doesn't affect most people but it does me. admittedly its better than my M.I.L's 96 cutlass ciera with the door mounted seatbelt that one is completely worthless to me.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:41 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

personally i like it cause i wont get a ticket for no seatbelt. and i like the fact it locked when i hit the brakes. howe4ver sometimes it forgets to unlock and when i open the door it gets stuck and i have to hit the emergency release.