3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My key can't open the doors - worn key or worn locks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:16 AM
mxo

My key can't open the doors - worn key or worn locks?

Couldn't find anything in search, so here it is.

'94 GXE auto w/ ~75k miles

I'm trying to figure out whether it's my key or the locks on the car that needs replacing.

My key hasn't worked for a while now on either door or the trunk. Luckily I have a keypad, and I've been getting in and opening the trunk using that for several months. Initially, it was very hard to open the door with the key - I had to jiggle it several times. Same thing with the second key. The valet key was rarely used, so it'd be a good test, but can't find it.

It seems like it's the key that got worn too much, but don't want to spend the money ketting the new keys only to find out that it's the locks. Maybe it's both?

I can live with the keypad as long as I have to, but if my battery dies, I'm a toast.

Anyone have the same problem? Is this a common occurence in Maximas?

Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mxo
Couldn't find anything in search, so here it is.

'94 GXE auto w/ ~75k miles

I'm trying to figure out whether it's my key or the locks on the car that needs replacing.

My key hasn't worked for a while now on either door or the trunk. Luckily I have a keypad, and I've been getting in and opening the trunk using that for several months. Initially, it was very hard to open the door with the key - I had to jiggle it several times. Same thing with the second key. The valet key was rarely used, so it'd be a good test, but can't find it.

It seems like it's the key that got worn too much, but don't want to spend the money ketting the new keys only to find out that it's the locks. Maybe it's both?

I can live with the keypad as long as I have to, but if my battery dies, I'm a toast.

Anyone have the same problem? Is this a common occurence in Maximas?
Chances are the key is worn out.
Check in your glovebox for the key code. it may still be there and then you can have a key cut from that
Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Chances are the key is worn out.
Check in your glovebox for the key code. it may still be there and then you can have a key cut from that
I would suggest to make a new key at the deallership (use the key code).
I hade another wired problem - I wasn't able to open a truck lock with a key. I simply took out the whole thing ... and with the key inside polished lock cilinder
Old 11-04-2003, 08:45 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
I would suggest to make a new key at the deallership (use the key code).
I hade another wired problem - I wasn't able to open a truck lock with a key. I simply took out the whole thing ... and with the key inside polished lock cilinder
Sounds like you've got the valet key.
Does it work on your glovebox?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Sounds like you've got the valet key.
Does it work on your glovebox?
No, it's a regular key. And yes, it does work on a glovebox.
To the best of my understanding, when none of the keypads are used for a long time (i.e. trunk lock and door locks when aftermarket alarm is installed) they do not get a lot of movement and some of the leafs get stuck not because of rust but because of contact of steel and aluminum.

And I wouldn't recommend to do what I did with trunk lock on the door locks because it simply might be a key itself.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:00 PM

Well, it could be a couple of things. 1) too worn key 2) locks that need wd40 or graphite to loosen, especially with the trunk. Someone posted problems with doors and trunk, and it was a worn key. Keys arent very expensive, neither is graphite, so I'd start there. Does the lock seem just frozen stiff? Or does the lock seem to "fight" by resisting you turning the key? Do your door locks act weird in any other situations, such as not working as often as they should, or self unlocking? Do you have a clicking sound in the dash? If you answer yes to some of the later problems, there could be a possible problem with the door lock timer or with the door lock actuator. Here is a link that even discusses a problem due to a magnet, but again, start with those basic suggestions. Also use a search and look up these various terms and read about them, and see if any of the other peoples experiences are similiar to your own. Good Luck. When I use my keys, I get some of the door lock "fighting", but I live with it for now. Anyways, good luck. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....oor+lock+timer