3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can I call technician out for servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:35 AM

Can I call technician out for servicing?

I had a big trouble with my fuel injector. Actually the goal is pretty simple: just pull it out. I have a VG engine and I've opened the manifold. But I just can't
pull the injector out. I guess I've been out of my bandwidth...

Is there such kind of service? I call out some technician to stop by my home
and help me out? I am living in the bay area, CA.

Please refer to my previous post
Old 11-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pull the whole fuel rail, then take the injector out.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:21 AM
STFU n00b!

yup.. pull the whole fuel rail out, then you can take the rail to a workbench and properly remove it. they're NOT easy to get out.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:09 AM

You can probably get it out by leaving the fuel rail in, its just a pain in the ***. Took me like 2 hours and a whole can of lube.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by bobbydigital450
You can probably get it out by leaving the fuel rail in, its just a pain in the ***. Took me like 2 hours and a whole can of lube.
In two hours, you could have pulled the fuel rail, replaced the injector, reinstalled the fuel rail, and drank a beer. I would even go so far as to say their are people on this forum who could do the complete job in two hours.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:19 AM

The problem is that I don't want to pull out the fuel rail because I don't want to add more possible leakage after I put everything back. I understand that this is going to be my last resort though.

I've already cracked the connector of the injector. So as long as I can take it out, whatever it takes is okay for me. So there is no such kind of service out there?

I was thinking to send the other five injectors to RC engineering. Now I'm reconsidering that.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
yup.. pull the whole fuel rail out, then you can take the rail to a workbench and properly remove it. they're NOT easy to get out.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by euphoria
The problem is that I don't want to pull out the fuel rail because I don't want to add more possible leakage after I put everything back. I understand that this is going to be my last resort though.

I've already cracked the connector of the injector. So as long as I can take it out, whatever it takes is okay for me. So there is no such kind of service out there?

I was thinking to send the other five injectors to RC engineering. Now I'm reconsidering that.

In my experience, trying to avoid work / take shortcuts to save time usually ends up costing more time and money in the long run.

Don't stress about leakage. Just take your time, follow the directions, and you will be fine.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the encouragement from you guys. I know I was not doing this quick, but that was my first big project that I have ever done on my car. Before this, I did oil change only.

I've put everything back and I do have some problem with it now. I hope you
experienced guys could help me out again.

Right after I put everything back, things were normal. The putt putt sound was
gone and the car was normal except the accelator cable, which was mounted
too tight and the RPM went up and down itself when the shifter was in "P".
But other than that, everything was fine. And I adjusted the cable and it's kind of okay. I am thinking of applying some lub on the spring, is it necessary/allowed ('cause I didn't see any trace of lub on that spring before)?

This afternoon, when I was on highway, the check-engine light was on again
after a sudden shake of the car. I pulled over and saw black smoke coming out of the emission pipe and the smell was like gas not being burned completely, but I am not sure about it. I drove the car back home afterwards, without any apparent trouble except the check-engine light and the slightly shaking at stop signs. The power was okay, etc... I was trying to pull out the error code but it was gone! And the worst thing was, I heard the putt putt noise again. But this time, it was not that frequent. Just once or twice in a few seconds. Can you guys tell me what the problem could be? I didn't check the resistance of injectors, but I checked a couple of times before I installed the fuel rail back and they were within the spec.

The only thing I wasn't sure is the order of spark plug cables. I matched the
distributor lables (1-5-3-4-c-2-6 clockwise) with the cylinder numbers (1-3-5
on the back left to right, and 2-4-6 in the front left to right as well). Is this
correct? Somehow I remember that the order was not like this before but the
manual says so.

So so bothered by this.

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
In my experience, trying to avoid work / take shortcuts to save time usually ends up costing more time and money in the long run.

Don't stress about leakage. Just take your time, follow the directions, and you will be fine.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:44 AM
STFU n00b!

the problem could be one of many things, but I would first check to make sure all your spark plugs are in, gapped, and torqued properly.. then make sure all your plug wires are on and seated.
after that, it's time to tear the manifold back off the engine and look for fuel or vacuum leaks.

it could be a leaky injector or a bad gasket causing this.. you never know.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:16 AM

So the order of plug wires are correct?

#3 plug wire has some crack on the connector to the plug because I plugged
and unplugged so much recently.

Also, is the length of plug wires important? There might be some order exchange..

In any case, I still don't see why any of these has a connection to the black smoke? Could you explain in more details? Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
the problem could be one of many things, but I would first check to make sure all your spark plugs are in, gapped, and torqued properly.. then make sure all your plug wires are on and seated.
after that, it's time to tear the manifold back off the engine and look for fuel or vacuum leaks.

it could be a leaky injector or a bad gasket causing this.. you never know.