3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What is top end for a 3'rd gen max?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pj93max
Here is some advice:

Your car is OLD, dont put money into a car that is close to End of Life.
Your car is depreciating - losing value every day
Your car is SLOW (just being honest, no matter what you do to it, it will be slow... ok ok..well, unless u have a lot of $ to throw and get a turbo or nos etc...but in that case... if u got $, u can just buy the vette & save some headaches!)

Don't get me wrong, I love modding cars but.... gotta draw the line somehwere.
i've done the exact opposite of all of that

my car had 14x,xxx miles and was running really strong (except for the tranny). Rebuilt the tranny and dropped in a VG30ET. Final cost when I finally got it running: about 1700 dollars. A lot of money was wasted in that cost due to trying to find out why the hell it wouldn't work.

With all of the stuff in my car now some people would pay quite a bit more than what its value is in stock form.

My car is no longer slow, finally. lol I don't know the current power output or 1/4 mile time but its definately around that of a modded VE. That's with the 84-86 300zx turbo (has a .46 a/r from what i've heard which is tiny for a 3.0 V6), no aftercooler, and 7 psi of boost. I haven't found out for sure but the engine might have euro cams which is an extra 10 hp over stock. There's lots of room for improvement which i'm hoping to start soon... but i may be starting college so that will be harder. I probably won't have much time to work on it and definitely won't have any place to work on it at.

Back to the point, I think the only time the line is ever drawn on modding cars is when the car is unsafe to drive. I'm sure there has been people out there that mod strange cars like geo's or yugo's or whatever. With some cars it doesn't seem worth it but to the owner of the car it definitely seems worth it. One reason not to step up to a 2 door, rwd sports car from a maxima would be insurance. Insurance costs on sports cars are terrible compared to cars like ours. That's one of the big reasons why I modded my max. I don't have the money to get a sports car nor pay the insurance on it. Dropping in a turbo engine into my maxima would be cheaper than buying any of the sports cars I wanted. Plus, I now have the sleeper style. Its awesome to freak people out with a car that doesn't appear to be fast.

ok... i'm done now.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 PM

good point... but im 23 and my rates arent that bad on my Z.

but...i do like the idea of a sleeper...and if i had money/time to spare..
i would probably get a maxima and mod the hell outta it... but then..
reality kicks in!!

Originally Posted by mtcookson
i've done the exact opposite of all of that

my car had 14x,xxx miles and was running really strong (except for the tranny). Rebuilt the tranny and dropped in a VG30ET. Final cost when I finally got it running: about 1700 dollars. A lot of money was wasted in that cost due to trying to find out why the hell it wouldn't work.

With all of the stuff in my car now some people would pay quite a bit more than what its value is in stock form.

My car is no longer slow, finally. lol I don't know the current power output or 1/4 mile time but its definately around that of a modded VE. That's with the 84-86 300zx turbo (has a .46 a/r from what i've heard which is tiny for a 3.0 V6), no aftercooler, and 7 psi of boost. I haven't found out for sure but the engine might have euro cams which is an extra 10 hp over stock. There's lots of room for improvement which i'm hoping to start soon... but i may be starting college so that will be harder. I probably won't have much time to work on it and definitely won't have any place to work on it at.

Back to the point, I think the only time the line is ever drawn on modding cars is when the car is unsafe to drive. I'm sure there has been people out there that mod strange cars like geo's or yugo's or whatever. With some cars it doesn't seem worth it but to the owner of the car it definitely seems worth it. One reason not to step up to a 2 door, rwd sports car from a maxima would be insurance. Insurance costs on sports cars are terrible compared to cars like ours. That's one of the big reasons why I modded my max. I don't have the money to get a sports car nor pay the insurance on it. Dropping in a turbo engine into my maxima would be cheaper than buying any of the sports cars I wanted. Plus, I now have the sleeper style. Its awesome to freak people out with a car that doesn't appear to be fast.

ok... i'm done now.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:07 PM

we think very much alike. when ever people say buy a diferent faster car i say i like driving a sleeper and cant afford insurance on a real sports car plus i just dont want anything but my max
Old 12-09-2003, 08:11 PM
mod or sell?

Image is nothing!
Performance is everything!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:18 PM

exactly my thinking
Old 12-10-2003, 02:57 PM

I think when ppl say they like to drive a sleeper, its a form of "sour grapes".

I bet most of the sleeper fans would LOVE to trade-up for a real sports car.

Now the financial argument is probably very valid... I just have to call B.S. when somebody wants to drive a real sleeper (unless you got an M5 or something, and even those are identifiable).

I'm sure most Maxima sleepers are a real snoore.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by pj93max
good point... but im 23 and my rates arent that bad on my Z.

but...i do like the idea of a sleeper...and if i had money/time to spare..
i would probably get a maxima and mod the hell outta it... but then..
reality kicks in!!

Aren't that bad??? What do you consider "not that bad"? I'm 22 and I have a good job, but at this point would rather not have a car payment and spend money on sound system and modding, then hundreds of dollars on just car payment and insurance on a car that everyone already knows is fast. Maybe things would be diffrent if I didn't require back seats, but this sure suits me just fine right now.

Also just as a side note, you can probably do major modding like 5 speed conv, and turbos for the amount of money that you will have to pay for a year of insurance in a vett. I have a friend that had a 98 SS camaro that he just got rid of and at 24 he was paying $450 a month just for insurance.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:35 PM

i'd love to have a sports car but i'd also love to see the look on a persons face when a maxima beats their expensive sports car. it'd be really hard for me to get rid of my maxima now that i swapped the turbo engine in.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hornswoggler
I think when ppl say they like to drive a sleeper, its a form of "sour grapes".

I bet most of the sleeper fans would LOVE to trade-up for a real sports car.
1. I choose my VE over a 96 SE 5spd V2 Supercharged with some goodies for an excellent price because 1. I have a history with VE's, 2. it was cheaper, and 3. It's a VE thing.

2. I have a 68 Mustang 289ci C4 C-code coupe with a full MSD ignition, edelbrock performer 600, and some other toys. I've had it for a year now and only put 10 miles on it, vs buying my 3rd gen and daily driving it.

3. Want to buy a mustang?

4. I have a dent in the rear of my Maxima, and the front bumper buldges outward under the passanger corner. I have no plans in really taking it to a shop to fix it, thats sleeperish right?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:48 PM

Yeah, don't get me wrong I'd love a sports car too and I will probablly get one too, but that will be when I have enough income to make the car payment, insurance and have money for modding, as well as money left over for food and fun. But at that point, I would also have to have a 4 door car also, because that wife and 2 kids won't fit in the vett.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:52 PM

i love my maxima, and that is all i have to say, isnt it the love of the car. isnt that why most ppl are on this board?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:41 PM
mod or sell?

Even my Sports cars are sleepers
Old 12-10-2003, 06:08 PM

"but i'd also love to see the look on a persons face when a maxima beats their expensive sports car."

mt, maybe since your car is a sleeper, the sports car driver didn't even think it was a race?

out of curiosity, what kind of times (1/4 or 1/8) does your turbo max get? I bet it does actually qualify at a sleeper. :-)

I agree with you guys... the maxima is an awesome car. I love my 93 GXE... I just don't see it as a sports car. I like the handling, the comfort (except the seats), and it has some pep on the highways. I don't think its economically wise to dump a bunch of money into it (and definately not more than its worth!). Hence its my daily driver.

I own my maxima because it makes a great daily driver and is fun to drive. sure, I wish I had a SE but I heard that they are less reliable (more engine troubles) and found a place that would take my trade-in.

If you do someday get a nice sports car, consider keeping your maxima (as most of you have already mentioned that). it will probably do a much better job in the rain and snow than a pure sports car.

So I agree with all these points, I just didn't believe it when someday said they were going for the sleeper look... I knew there must be more to it.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:27 PM

right now i'm only expecting mid to low 15's. it could be worse since my clutch SUCKS, lol. however, i'm still planning on doing lots of building up and when i'm finished with it i want it to at least have 350 hp to the wheels... but that will take lots of work mostly on the tranny. i agree with a lot of thigns you said but i think its really just a matter of opinion in the end. the maxima was my first car (had a slow crappy suv before this) and i just absolutely love the car.

even though my first maxima was a gxe and i had went on and on to my mom how imports were really reliable but in only 10,000 miles or less the tranny went out at 100,000 miles i still loved the car. after that ordeal i found a 90 se with 139,000 miles on it that i looked at for a month and i finally decided to get it. ... the tranny also went out on that but i didn't care. i rebuilt it myself and have been enjoying it since then.

i'm sure i'll get a true sports car in the future, most likely a 300zx TT, but that will be when i have a steady and high enough income to support myself and be able to play around at the same time. for now, i'll just build my maxima up to suffice
Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM

My rate for the Z is a few hundred dollars more per year then it was for my 1993 maxima

It's all in "how you do it"

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Aren't that bad??? What do you consider "not that bad"? I'm 22 and I have a good job, but at this point would rather not have a car payment and spend money on sound system and modding, then hundreds of dollars on just car payment and insurance on a car that everyone already knows is fast. Maybe things would be diffrent if I didn't require back seats, but this sure suits me just fine right now.

Also just as a side note, you can probably do major modding like 5 speed conv, and turbos for the amount of money that you will have to pay for a year of insurance in a vett. I have a friend that had a 98 SS camaro that he just got rid of and at 24 he was paying $450 a month just for insurance.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:51 PM

is that for full coverage or liability? full coverage really hurts the pocket.

i take that back on what i said about getting the Z. if i have a steady and high income i'll be getting what i really want... a R32 GT-R
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM

a datsun 510 isnt worth much, look at how bad a$$ that one is
Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 PM

that is a definite there. those 510s are sweet cars. they can be made to handle really well and can be made hella fast and they wouldn't really be considered sports cars by their design.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:20 PM

If I were in the market for a NEW sports car, I might have me a silver or blue 350Z!

Old 12-10-2003, 07:36 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

sleeper = an automobile that appears stock but is modified thus producing gracious horizontal thrust.

i agree on the insurance im 23 but im in jersey. And as far as real sports cars go I HAD ONE ! most of you know about that car (trans-am) 89 GTA. LOTZA HORSEPOWER however that car was just easy to modify and easy to go fast in. and EVERYONE knew it was fast. Now ive got a 4 door that back in the day i thought had no potential....man was i wrong. Like Mr.Gone said its a VE thing. nothing against the VG but id much rather have my VE. ive driven both in 5speed stock trim and there is NO comparison.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:37 PM
mod or sell?

I'd still build one!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:39 PM

no comparison between VG and VE stock...
Old 12-10-2003, 07:43 PM
mod or sell?

sure there is just a VG30DETT vs a VE
You never specified which VG
Old 12-10-2003, 10:09 PM

i'd take a VG30DET... i think it will fit in the max and has 255 hp and torque stock
Old 12-10-2003, 10:19 PM

VG's are still cool
Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 AM
mod or sell?

2 turbo's are better than 1
Old 12-11-2003, 08:35 AM

as far as the people with sleepers alway wanting a real sports car is WRONG

if i had the chiose of a 11 second viper vs an 11 second maxima i garantee you i would take the maxima its just to rare and strange i mean think about the crowd of people around your car after you beat a vette or somthing. i could go up to 90% of mustangs and laugh in there face and they would get ****ed and race me and lose and there is no better feeling in the world than that