3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

second battery charge cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 12:54 AM

second battery charge cable

I was wondering if when i get a dry cell battery in the trunk if I can use the 4 ga. welder cable I ran for an amp power cable for the charge line, or if I have to buy 2 ga or heavier (if I can find anything heavier) and re-run it. I'm also looking for suggestions as to a good dry cell battery to use and where to get it..

I imagine its going to be awhile before I buy the battery anyway since my amp ate itself today so I get to fork out another $110 for a new amp out of my next paycheck
Old 12-13-2003, 02:11 AM

your starter doesn't need a 2ga cable - 4ga would be just fine.

but here are suggestions for you:
1. you can go with dual battery kit (keep one under the hood as well). but you'll need a dual battery kit in this case.
2. have 2 batteries on board but use one of the batteries for starter only and another one for averything else - you'll never have problems with "cold start"
3. use distribution blocks (say 0ga input and 2x4ga outputs ... or 4ga and ?x8 outputs ... or whatever you want - depends on what you use it for). BTW, distribution block may be placed in the trunk.
4. buy a battery box (for one in the trunk)
5. enjoy!

PS: optima battery would be a good choice (red or yellow, which is deep cycle)
Old 12-13-2003, 02:34 PM

Thanks, I was planning on keeping my battery under the hood and just put a second one in the trunk for my amps and such, but I wasn't sure if the 4 ga cable is heavy enough to use as a dual battery connection line for the 22ft span it covers..I mostly want the battery there to take some strain off my alt. and to run my amp longer with the car turned off.

Right now, my 4 ga amp wire, the starter cable, and the other 2 wires that are connected to the battery are on a gold plated terminal that has 2x4ga. and 2x8ga. output lines, so really all I have to do is get a heavy (2 or 4 ga) ground wire for the 2nd battery, build a box for it, and buy the battery..

Where can I get an Optima (or any decent dry cell) battery and about how much am I looking at paying?
I'll be able to buy one in another 3 weeks if nothing else comes up..
Old 12-13-2003, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
Thanks, I was planning on keeping my battery under the hood and just put a second one in the trunk for my amps and such, but I wasn't sure if the 4 ga cable is heavy enough to use as a dual battery connection line for the 22ft span it covers..I mostly want the battery there to take some strain off my alt. and to run my amp longer with the car turned off.

Right now, my 4 ga amp wire, the starter cable, and the other 2 wires that are connected to the battery are on a gold plated terminal that has 2x4ga. and 2x8ga. output lines, so really all I have to do is get a heavy (2 or 4 ga) ground wire for the 2nd battery, build a box for it, and buy the battery..

Where can I get an Optima (or any decent dry cell) battery and about how much am I looking at paying?
I'll be able to buy one in another 3 weeks if nothing else comes up..
i have 4ga running my entire car, my battery is in the trunk, so long as you have good grounds, you shouldnt have a problem, especially since its an auxillary battery.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:49 PM

You can buy "Optima" in many places over the internet (google search - find the best price). Or just search on ebaymotors.com:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448330600

And don't forget to buy a battery box like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2447328898
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448434688 (very expensive but way COOL!!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448276406

dual battery charger:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448290639
Old 12-13-2003, 07:20 PM

thanks again. I'll probably build my own battery box, but I'll see about the charger..
Old 12-13-2003, 09:39 PM

if you mean a battery isolator then you dont want to use it. if you do you will lose about a volt or so cause of it, and most amps like as much voltage as you can get. in my car im running 4 ga power and gound everywhere. the alternator, front battery and rear battery all have 4ga. power and ground. the battery im running for the rear is a interstate 8D battery, its rather large for what you need (equals 2.5 yellow tops). if you run just power cable it will be suffecent but power and ground is best. gound it in the back to the frame and to the front battery as well.

PS: welding cable is not perferred cause of the large wire strands. if you use 4ga cable from a car audio store it will be flexable and can hold more current.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:32 AM

4 ga cable from the only local car audio store: $3.63 U.S. / foot for the same thing as below except red or blue jacket instead of black

Forney 4 ga welder cable: $1.98/foot
Forney 2 ga welder cable: $2.47/foot
and no difference in strand size among any of it...

I would use a wetcell battery, but I would have to seal the box I put the battery in and attatch a small tube to it and run it outside the car for a vent for safety..3 competition audio cars have caught fire/exploded here because of a buildup of hydrogen gas in the trunk from adding a wet cell battery to the trunk to supply the multiple amp/light setup..
I suppose I could do it, and it would be a whole lot cheaper than an optima, even if I have to re-seal the top of the box every time I check the water level in the battery..

I'm open for comment on this idea..after shipping, an optima would take me 5 work weeks to get the money together for (12 hours a week at $6/hour doesn't add up very fast), and I could get a decent wet cell and the length of tubing I would need in a lot less time..would just have to be absolutely sure the battery box was anchored securely..