3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

anyone who has done carpet molding reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:25 AM

anyone who has done carpet molding reinstall

im looking for pics or how to instructions for doing new carpet mold install. especially on how to get the back seat out. ive gotten the 2 metal clips out of the top back at night but i couldnt see what else i needed to loosen + im getting seats redone so itll be nice to just drop of bench seats and passenger seat so they only have to have the car for a short time to do last seat. and door inserts pm or post info
Old 12-14-2003, 01:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there is one 10mm bolt in each lower corner of the seat. unbolt those and you can remove the bottom cushion. Then there are 2 more 10mm bolts behind the arm-rest. remove those and you can take off the back cushion.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:01 AM

on my 92 gxe, the bottom just pops out, no bolts to remove at all, but on the back there are 2 bolts at the bottom corners, and 2 behind little plastic circles behind the armrest, then it just lifts up and out
Old 12-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

just look at Craigs site for seat instructions since it has pics you can use. His address is in the stickies.

as for the rest...in order to do it right you will have to take the metal that is around the radio off...you will see this after you take all the plastic around it off and the console out. then you will have to take the ECU out. You can get by this if you cut the carpet but its your call.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:47 PM

Ok I hope when you say "carpet molding reinstall" you are refering to replacing the interior carpet (the one where you rest your feet on).

Anyhow, I did this 2 months ago and it was a big pain in the @ss... but here are the instructions to the best of my memory:

1) Remove Driver's, Passenger, and Rear seats (refer to Craig Brace's site)
2) Remove those plastic panels that sit at the bottom of the door frame - I forgot the name (use a philips head to unscrew, and a flat head to pop it out if you are having trouble)
3) Remove the plastic cover that covers the seat belts (drivers and pasengers), I think they pop out; and also unscrew the bolt at the base of the seatbelts
4) Remove those two pamels that are near the front speaker (by your left foot in the driver's seat, and the right foor in the passenger's seat), philips head will be appropriate as well as a good pull down, as they snap-on at some part NB: some of the sound deadening crap might chip and fall down esp. on the passenger side, ignore it and dispose.
5) Remove then plastic thing that surrounds the shifter, then using a philips head, remove the plastic covered screws that hold the plastic mold around the ebrake, and the front armt rest
6) Once this is done you can now start popping those plastic things off of carpet, located at various spots - ie the plastic foot rest area on the driver's side, a couple near the ebrake/shifter, and a couple near the rear seats - NB: excercise care when removing them cause they chip easily, use a philips head and/or needle nose pliers
7) Now this part is debatable, as I simply cut the carpet as opposed to removing more parts (to save time) around base of the front arm rest, and a couple near the front heaters
8) Remove the carpet
9) Install the new carpet reversing the above steps, but be careful when installing it, esp. 1) making cuts to fit that are as small as possible, so they are unnoticable, 2) remember where the screws go, I had like 3 left over, and 1 short 3) make sure that stuff underneath the carpet (I guess its fire retardant stuff or sound deadening material), is put back properly ie not bent, etc.

I hope that helps, or at least addresses what you were talking about. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:24 PM

toronto max my problem is the mold i bought doesnt have holes cut out or anything like that . any tips on how to figure distances cuts etc. i have everything pulled out. did you use any adhesive for the carpet. or did you just lay it down and screw it in? did you try and reuse the plastic molds on each of the 4 door sills that fits on the metal to hold the carpet in place or just put it under molding and screw it down.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:52 PM

First off... I am going to assume you've just bought some regular (non-molded) carpet from a store or automotive shop...

1) If you need measurements, spots to cut holes, etc. Rip out your old carpet, flip it upside down, and lay it on the ground... then place your carpet over it (also face down) and have them pressed together @ all spots... then find out where the holes are roughly and cut them out. You may have to cut the carpet in some areas, but don't worry it's unnoticable when you lay it down in the car.

2) Since mine was OEM i did not have to use any adhesives, I just screwed it in... however, I would jus recommend laying it down, observing if there are any "bubbling" areas, and then apply some double tape, or similar adhesive.

3) As for the white things that go under the door foot moldings I would just leave em, but that's me - if you really want you can cut out your old ones, and then "staple" them onto the new one - the only practicle purpose they serve is it someone pulls at the carpet, as it would prevent it from popping out from under the moldings (which unless you have kids, or other potential "threats", is highly unlikely).

I think it's a big pain in @ss if it's not an OEM carpet, but it is doable... shock211 did his with that porch/balcony type green stuff - except his was gray.