3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need some pics/guineapig car..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 02:05 AM

Need some pics/guineapig car..

I need some UP CLOSE pics of how you guys routed the tubes for your CAI's, especially on VGs..I don't wanna start hacking my car to pieces if somone has already done it ..The best thing would really be if a 3rd genner happened to live near Kirksville and has CAI installed so I could take a close look at it, but that doesn't seem too likely..

Oh, I want the details because I'm thinking about building a more effective ram-air system..the one I built already uses tubes that are too small and really doesn't do too much for anything under 60 mph because of the small collectors, and I really want to see about running 3" or bigger tubing to the factory airbox or somthing else..Any pics you guys can show would be greatly appreciated..
Old 01-02-2004, 03:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if only it was a VE, its just easier for me to picture stuff on a VE

I dont, but others do, lol. If I decide to get a Piggie Racing CAI this weekend I'll be sure to take pictures for you (even though its a VE)
Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM

thanks, it really wont matter too much if its a VE or VG, I mostly need to see the behind the fender/bumper shots and a better view of the hole thats cut..the airbox is in the same place, but if I don't use the factory airbox it may require modification to fit a VE if my prototype is built on a VG because of the different angle of the filter pipe and filter..I'll worry about that after I have a clue what the inside of the fenderwell looks like..
Old 01-02-2004, 05:13 PM

you have to cut a nice chunk of metal out of the car next to the battery. the filter seems to fit from underneath just perfect.
i have seen a smart person move the battery, and you have minimal work to do.
i used the circular saw method.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:06 PM

I know the process, but I'm not installing CAI..the filter will be in the engine bay and it will have a collector under the car to create the same effect as a ram air system does for much less money...I just need to see the pics so I can know what bends and such I will need in the piping to get it down under the car..I COULD move my battery if I really wanted to..I have an auxillary battery in the trunk already, so all I would have to do is build another sealed box for my starting battery, bolt the boxes together, and wire the batteries together..OR I could just build a bigger Box for both batteries..but I probably won't move the battery and just work a little harder so no one has to move theirs either..since much of the additional intake would be in a cool section, I COULD use pvc pipe for it, although I don't know that I will..

I still need some more process pics for installing a CAI so I know how to modify it..I mostly need to see behind the fender and bumper so I'm not working blind..

If somone with CAI installed were to volunteer their car to be a guineapig for my ram-air system, they could have it for cost of materials only..I know few if any would want to bother until its been tested, but I thought I'd offer..

Oh, if anyone has any sources of the same metal piping used for cold air intakes for a fairly low price, please let me know, otherwise everything is probably going to be made out of stove pipe/gutter pipe or pvc..I'm going to search around tonight myself..
Old 01-03-2004, 04:47 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

What you WANNA do, is give matt93se a holla! He's got some of the most DETAILED pics of a VE CAI install around. I've got quite a few, too. But he went step-by-step on his back when he was doing a write-up for WSP.

(oh, and how far are you from KC?? Because I'm only 8 hours drive from there, and I could shoot there on one of my days off if you're interested)
Old 01-03-2004, 03:00 PM

I'm in the far northeast corner of Missouri..39 miles from the Iowa border, about 70 miles from the Illinois border..the home of Truman State University, formerly NMSU, formerly northeast missouri state teacher's college..