3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Defroster question.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004 | 01:02 PM

Defroster question.....

Out of the three or four vents above the dashboard and at the bottom of the windshield, the far passenger side vent seems to be blowing little or no heat out to defrost the windows. It is really snowy and cold outside if that is a factor and so I am just curious what is up and is this fixable or not. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2004 | 07:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think you would have to start taking the dash apart and checking the vent for blockage....
Old 01-07-2004 | 09:13 PM

Yuck
Old 01-07-2004 | 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The passenger side of my windshield gets especially foggy too - the whole right side actually. If I have the blower on 3 or 4, it's fine, but sometimes if it's on 1 or 2 (especially if there's another person in the car), it'll fog up more... Strange...
Old 01-07-2004 | 11:14 PM

This has come up in the past, so get to searching, page by page. My car was an exception, but mine had the passenger vents cold air, and the drivers were warm. My case turned out to be too little coolant in the radiator and overflow tank. But, I was unfortunately the exception. I think people have had trouble with various blend door malfunctions in the dash. So good luck with the search.
Old 01-08-2004 | 07:28 AM
rcy

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
Out of the three or four vents above the dashboard and at the bottom of the windshield, the far passenger side vent seems to be blowing little or no heat out to defrost the windows. It is really snowy and cold outside if that is a factor and so I am just curious what is up and is this fixable or not. Thanks.
I checked mine this morning, and it's doing the same thing. I wonder if it's designed like that (flawed ). The driver's side blows a large volume of air, but the far right side (passenger) blows a low volume of air. Mind you, I've never had problems with it fogging up. I also noticed that with the mode set to floor (according to the little pictogram in the climate control) there was still a fair amount of air coming from the defroster vents, as well as the floor vents. In defrost mode, there was a bit coming from the floor vents, but more from the defroster vents. Is this normal, or am I looking at a stuck blend door?
Old 01-08-2004 | 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by rcy
The driver's side blows a large volume of air, but the far right side (passenger) blows a low volume of air. Mind you, I've never had problems with it fogging up.
It snowed for the first time in awhile he up in Seattle and it has never fogged up before so I am hoping it is becuase of the dropping temperatures. I have never seen it fogged since the snow began late last week .
Old 01-08-2004 | 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rcy
I checked mine this morning, and it's doing the same thing. I wonder if it's designed like that (flawed ). The driver's side blows a large volume of air, but the far right side (passenger) blows a low volume of air. Mind you, I've never had problems with it fogging up. I also noticed that with the mode set to floor (according to the little pictogram in the climate control) there was still a fair amount of air coming from the defroster vents, as well as the floor vents. In defrost mode, there was a bit coming from the floor vents, but more from the defroster vents. Is this normal, or am I looking at a stuck blend door?
It's probably normal, but I don't know this for sure 100%. I just remember reading the manual from another car that explained the modes, and it said that this is what happened. On "floor", some goes to defrost (mine does this too BTW), and on "defrost" some goes to the floor.

I just reasoned that is actually is a good idea, and that it must be common practice. I mean, it'd be annoying to have to change modes every so often because your feet are freezing or the windows are getting fogged up!
Old 01-08-2004 | 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bman
I just reasoned that is actually is a good idea, and that it must be common practice. I mean, it'd be annoying to have to change modes every so often because your feet are freezing or the windows are getting fogged up!
That's why there's a selection that has both defrost and floor!
Old 01-10-2004 | 04:59 PM

More of a problem.......

Ok. Now there is more of a problem. I don't know what it is but I think something could be wrong with my climate system. The defroster works, with cold and hot, but it is not defroster the windows and I have to wipe them down with some apc and paper towels every likee 10-15 minutes or so. There is so much condensation in my car and it is there 24/7 and does not change. It got worse as I headed down to here to Oregon last night and now I have no idea what's up. The heat and cold air and all the functions are working but nothing is defrosting. One more thing. Today as I was driving, there seemed to be some kind of a light smoke or something like that coming out from the defrosters up on the dash. I don't know if it was coming through the vents for I had them closed. Something is up and I need to figure out how to likie air my car out, or wipe things down or anything else to stop this light smoke and all the condensation in my car. Please help me out guys, I am in serious need. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2004 | 08:13 PM

Condensation problem=have you tried using your A/C?
light smoke=did it smell sweet like antifreeze smoke, or just like oil smoke?
Old 01-10-2004 | 09:06 PM
rcy

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
Ok. Now there is more of a problem. I don't know what it is but I think something could be wrong with my climate system. The defroster works, with cold and hot, but it is not defroster the windows and I have to wipe them down with some apc and paper towels every likee 10-15 minutes or so. There is so much condensation in my car and it is there 24/7 and does not change. It got worse as I headed down to here to Oregon last night and now I have no idea what's up. The heat and cold air and all the functions are working but nothing is defrosting. One more thing. Today as I was driving, there seemed to be some kind of a light smoke or something like that coming out from the defrosters up on the dash. I don't know if it was coming through the vents for I had them closed. Something is up and I need to figure out how to likie air my car out, or wipe things down or anything else to stop this light smoke and all the condensation in my car. Please help me out guys, I am in serious need. Thank you!
Possible easy solution...make sure you are not in recirc...you should have fresh air coming in or you will fog up.

Possibly very hard solution...you heater core. or evaporator is leaking. Unless you have a lot of time and tools, take it to a mechanic and bend over....
Old 01-11-2004 | 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MaximamixaM
Condensation problem=have you tried using your A/C?
light smoke=did it smell sweet like antifreeze smoke, or just like oil smoke?
Didn't have a smell to it really. And AC and Recirc weren't on. Someone says possibly my AC is out or I need freeon........

I get heat fine from he vents and everything. I just can't get my windows to unfog/defrost???
Old 01-12-2004 | 12:49 AM

bump..........
Old 01-12-2004 | 12:51 AM

I'll take a look when we work on the headlights/etc