3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Speedometer not functioning properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 02:32 PM

Speedometer not functioning properly

hello all, this is for a 89 SE.

The speedo sometimes acts like a tachometer - it follows the tach needle...for example, the car is in park, i rev the engine, the speedo needle revs too.

Sometimes it just lays there dead even at high speed.

Any idea what the heck is wrong with this?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it could be a bad speed sensor or wiring. you can test your speed sensor like so:

1. Raise drive wheels.
2. Disconnect the speed sensor connector.
Using an ohm meter, check continuity across terminals. Continuity should open and close as wheels are turned SLOWLY.
3. Replace sensor if it fails the above test.

its probably easier to just pull the sensor out if you want to do it that way. the instructions above are from the fsm. if that's not the problem then it could be wiring somewhere. might have to pull the gauge cluster out and check the wiring back there to see if something is being crossed somehow.

my bets are on the speed sensor so i'd check that first. do you have an auto or manual tranny? i know for the manuals they are relatively cheap from a salvage yard and i'm sure they're still pretty cheap for the auto. good luck!
Old 03-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing here

Originally Posted by MAXI
hello all, this is for a 89 SE.

The speedo sometimes acts like a tachometer - it follows the tach needle...for example, the car is in park, i rev the engine, the speedo needle revs too.

Sometimes it just lays there dead even at high speed.

Any idea what the heck is wrong with this?

All, just stumbled across this great site trying to resolve some issues with my 90. Mine is overheating (fans not kicking in, but even when driving and getting airflow through radiator), running rough (particularly at idle), AND I've seen the same problem with the Tach/Speedo. With all the problems I'm seeing, I'm leaning towards the ECCU (computer), so you may want to check that, as well. Anyone else see similar probs if their computer was questionable? Too bad I can't search to see relevant posts instead of asking something that's probably been asked many times before.

Great info here on this site, though (just found how to fix my Bose amps, thanks).