3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

About to drive long distance...OH to AZ. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 10:40 AM

About to drive long distance...OH to AZ. What should I do?

On April 3, I will begin my long journey to my new home around Phx, AZ. Well, the problem I am having is that I do not want to rent a Van or whatever for 360 and another 300 for a uhaul trailer and a hitch to tow my max. My max currently has 112k on it. What do you guys think I should do to my car to completely give this thing what it takes to make it to AZ?

By the way, I have a 1992 Maxima SE 5 speed. V6 VE (I believe)

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:09 AM

Well, the obvious would be change the oil/filter and your air filter. If you haven't changed your plugs or coolant that could also be a good idea. Regardless of the last time you changed the coolant your gonna want to use a 50% water/50% antifreeze mixure in AZ. It handles the heat better. Also, check for leaks or blockage in the coolant system (hoses, waterpump, radiator, etc). I can't really think of anything else I'd do. Just take it easy on her, she's gettin up in her years.

Lata
Old 03-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go for a top speed run

Do some preventitive maintence, but I wouldnt worry about if she can make it or not.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Way out West

Shoot, I would drive my car to Ohio from Oregon right now and mine has 147k on it. I just drove it to MrGone's house a couple of weekends ago (RT apx 500 miles) and I had no problems, except I need a new knock sensor. When I got past Tacoma, I could really tell that I had lost some power.

Have you replaced your water pump? That seems to be about the most common thing to go wrong at around 110-150k.

Other than that, or any maintenance you have been lacking (tune up, coolant, etc) I would say you are good to go.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:12 PM

i drove from ks to az sometime last year with ~180k on the odo...did just fine....you'll be fine, just do what the guys above said and get an oil change when you get there..oh and subscribe with AAA *just in case*
Old 03-07-2004, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Shoot, I would drive my car to Ohio from Oregon right now and mine has 147k on it. I just drove it to MrGone's house a couple of weekends ago (RT apx 500 miles) and I had no problems, except I need a new knock sensor. When I got past Tacoma, I could really tell that I had lost some power.

Have you replaced your water pump? That seems to be about the most common thing to go wrong at around 110-150k.

Other than that, or any maintenance you have been lacking (tune up, coolant, etc) I would say you are good to go.

Yup! I just changed my water pump about 3 months ago. I couldn't believe how much of a pain in the rear it was to get the old pump out. To the other guy that mentioned something about a knock sensor, exactly what is that? and what happens when it goes bad. I have never changed mine in my car and I do notice a lot of lost power when starting out in first gear and going to 2nd. How much do these sensors cost and are they a pain to change? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Way out West

I haven't replaced my knock sensor, but from the looks of it, it is a pretty time consuming (like a whole weekend) job. That's why mine hasn't been replaced.

If you look in the FAQs there is more information on replacing it.

IIRC, when the knock sensor starts to go, the heat from your engine (often referred to as "heat soak") messes up the sensor and it starts to retard your timing, even though it doesn't need to. This causes the engine to lose power. I don't think it will really hurt your car on a long trip, but it will probably hurt your gas mileage some and your ability to pass some.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AAA: triptik map, road service
change or update all fluids
tune up
radar detector
cell phone
petty cash
tire pressure update
extra stuff in trunk: jugs of water, jumper cables, get a road kit
compass
cb walkie-talkie: i love these, handy for weather and up- the-road smoky warnings
bottled water and breakfast bars
sunglasses
driving gloves
have fun, i love road trips
Old 03-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
AAA: triptik map, road service
change or update all fluids
tune up
radar detector
cell phone
petty cash
tire pressure update
extra stuff in trunk: jugs of water, jumper cables, get a road kit
compass
cb walkie-talkie: i love these, handy for weather and up- the-road smoky warnings
bottled water and breakfast bars
sunglasses
driving gloves
have fun, i love road trips

Also, don't forget a first aid kit. Sometimes if you buy one of those nylon bag kits for your trunk it will include some of these as well as flares, and other stuff.

Make sure your spare tire is inflated properly, and make sure the jack and wrench are included.

Check the drive belts or bring spares. Pantyhose are supposed to work in a pinch, but.....

A basic tool kit wouldn't hurt.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER. I'll always remember this one, because one day on a road trip I saw this elderly group stranded by the roadside next to their 100% burned out Olds 98 (brand new at the time). I mean, even the tires were burnt down to the steel belts....
Old 03-07-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bman

Also, don't forget a first aid kit. Sometimes if you buy one of those nylon bag kits for your trunk it will include some of these as well as flares, and other stuff.

Make sure your spare tire is inflated properly, and make sure the jack and wrench are included.

Check the drive belts or bring spares. Pantyhose are supposed to work in a pinch, but.....

A basic tool kit wouldn't hurt.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER. I'll always remember this one, because one day on a road trip I saw this elderly group stranded by the roadside next to their 100% burned out Olds 98 (brand new at the time). I mean, even the tires were burnt down to the steel belts....
HA! HA! Seems to me I have attracted a few comics in this thread, good stuff guys. Thanks! Basically, I am just going to go over my car thoroughly and pray to the maxima gods nothing goes wrong.