3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Axle tranny seal leak...help :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:19 PM

Axle tranny seal leak...help :(

I have a VE manual tranny.

I had replaced the driver's axle since the boot was torn without changing to a new seal back in November. I noticed a leak a while ago. Well, I installed a new seal today, added new gear oil, and put the axle back in. Then I lowered the jack and some fluid starting leaking out. I think it's coming from the hole where the axle goes into the tranny because when I pull a little on the shaft (moves about 0.5 cm), more fluid comes out.

What am I doing wrong? I don't think I damaged the seal when I replaced it. I used the old seal and tapped/hammered the new one in with it.

Thanks a ton...I'm losing all that expensive Redline oil!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ghostmax
I have a VE manual tranny.

I had replaced the driver's axle since the boot was torn without changing to a new seal back in November. I noticed a leak a while ago. Well, I installed a new seal today, added new gear oil, and put the axle back in. Then I lowered the jack and some fluid starting leaking out. I think it's coming from the hole where the axle goes into the tranny because when I pull a little on the shaft (moves about 0.5 cm), more fluid comes out.

What am I doing wrong? I don't think I damaged the seal when I replaced it. I used the old seal and tapped/hammered the new one in with it.

Thanks a ton...I'm losing all that expensive Redline oil!

Maybe you added to much to it *shrugs*
Old 03-10-2004, 07:11 AM

Check if you put too much oil then it might just be overflowing. Then check again your seal. You might have just left a tiny opening.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:49 AM

I put 4 quarts in.

Is there supposed to be some play with the axle (ie, should it move out just a little bit when I pull on it)? It seems that the inner rim where the seal should surround the axle is leaking, not the outer part which meets the tranny.

When I put the axle back in, I just pushed it in without doing anything else. I checked it by pulling on it, and it wouldn't come back out so I think the circular clip is in place.

Also if I had overfilled it, it should leak out the filler hole and not the seal, right? When I lowered the jack, it didn't come out the filler hole.

Could there be a problem with the axle itself? (doubt this)

For those who replaced their seals, can you tell me how you did it?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:42 AM
STFU n00b!

there shouldn't be that much play in the axle once it's installed.. mine was closer to 1-2mm, not 5..

I would also check to make sure you got the proper seal. the only ones I've been able to find that fit are the OEM ones. all of the parts stores I've tried (oriellys, autozone, standard auto) have something screwed up in the computer and it's the wrong seal.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:43 AM

Yeah, mine have never moved very far....try getting a new axle and putting it to see if it still has the same play...if it does, then take it back and get your money back, if it doesn't then there is your problem. Its an idea...just my .02
Old 03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

There is a very good chance that the axle is not 100% pushed in. I did this once also. Leaking Amsoil is NOT good (or cheap!). What had happened is the axle was in and everything went together fine. Just that the axle wasn't pushed in the last 1/8" or so. Since I assume everything is bolted up, you won't be able to just shove the axle back in there. You will have to use a big screwdriver or something and a ball peaned hammer and tap the axle the rest of the way in. You should always note how far the axle is in before removing it but it's something one doesn't think of until you are installing it.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Matt, the seal is from Nissan

Okay, it's probably not in all the way then. I have LSD and the axle has two splines on it, so I think the axle is right (went thru a lot of trouble making sure I got the right one).

I'll try to push it in more. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

fixed?

DId you ever find what the problem was? If so, how did you resolve the leak?
I replaced my CV axles and the driver's side leaks badly.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 AM

I think mine leaks too. The engine compartment smells kind of like oil sometimes when I run it hard, and I don't see any of my fluids going down. The best I can tell, it is coming from the transmission somewhere (5-spd). The guy I bought the car from had the CV shafts replaced a while back. It also makes a strange noise when in gear and I take off, hard to explain but kind of like george jetson's hovercraft when it takes off, it's not my motor though. Is my tranny going out?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:54 PM

dllang, i never fixed the problem. i tried again a couple days ago, and everytime, i put the axle nut on and tightened it, it tugged a little on the axle and pulled it out enough to make it leak. it's really driving me crazy.

rosamax, i have the same dull, gear-like grinding noise. i can't hear it when i'm in the higher gears, but it's very pronounced in 1st and 2nd gears. i don't think the tranny is bad, but going so long without fluid definitely is not good for it.

i might bite the bullet and take it in if i can't figure it out soon. i hate going to the dealer...hope ya'll resolve your problems.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ghostmax, I fixed my leak with a new seal. I guess I should have replaced the seals when I replaced the CVs. After putting the CV back in, I tapped on the end a couple times with a 3lb hammer just to make sure it was in (carefully, of course). No leaks this morning.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks, dllang. I'll buy another seal since I probably cut the new one while replacing the axle. One call to the dealer was all it took for me to reconsider leaving it in their hands: "Yes sir, just labor alone will be about $200-220." Umm...no thanks.