3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

"Misting" the intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Misting" the intake

Doing a throttle body cleaning and went to Nissan dealer for the T/B gasket. The parts guy asked if I'm going to mist the intake? He explained that their service includes spraying cleaner mist into the intake when the car is running. Is the BS? If not does anyone know a procedure for doing the intake and tops of the valves?

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:42 AM

It's not a BS. It's the best way to clean the TB.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by tucker
Doing a throttle body cleaning and went to Nissan dealer for the T/B gasket. The parts guy asked if I'm going to mist the intake? He explained that their service includes spraying cleaner mist into the intake when the car is running. Is the BS? If not does anyone know a procedure for doing the intake and tops of the valves?

Thanks Guys!
Yeah, buy a bottle of Seafoam and suck it into your intake through a vacuum hose. Let it flood the engine, let the engine sit for 20 min, then fire it up and watch plumes of smoke come out of your exhaust. Your valves and other engine parts have now been rid of carbon buildup. I tried it and my MPG rose 1-2 consistently. Plus it's cool driving around the neighborhood with a smokescreen a la Spyhunter
Old 03-10-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Yeah, buy a bottle of Seafoam and suck it into your intake through a vacuum hose. Let it flood the engine, let the engine sit for 20 min, then fire it up and watch plumes of smoke come out of your exhaust. Your valves and other engine parts have now been rid of carbon buildup. I tried it and my MPG rose 1-2 consistently. Plus it's cool driving around the neighborhood with a smokescreen a la Spyhunter

Flooding the engine with any liquid is not a good idea, the engine does not want to compress any liquids.

If you use the seafoam, you have to let the engine draw it in slowly.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I like seafoam. My 240 failed emissions twice then passed with a dose of the good ole seafoam. Makes mega smoke while you're doing it though.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25 PM

You can use water but IMHO seafoam is better and safer . Its only about $6-8 a bottle or so. If you use a 1/4" vacuum line you really arent going to hydrolock the motor, so Mizeree_X you probably arent going to have any problems, but Eric is right. btw, pull it threw the engine either before the TB (when the TB open (otherwise its pointless or just after the throttle body (best spot IMHO. I normally just take the TB off to clean it). I used to use the vacuum port on the back of the manifold that goes to the little actuator on the coolant lines to the heater core, but then realized thats only getting half of the engine (1-3-5). The closer to the TB the better so it goes into both banks equally.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by MrGone
You can use water but IMHO seafoam is better and safer . Its only about $6-8 a bottle or so. If you use a 1/4" vacuum line you really arent going to hydrolock the motor, so Mizeree_X you probably arent going to have any problems, but Eric is right. btw, pull it threw the engine either before the TB (when the TB open (otherwise its pointless or just after the throttle body (best spot IMHO. I normally just take the TB off to clean it). I used to use the vacuum port on the back of the manifold that goes to the little actuator on the coolant lines to the heater core, but then realized thats only getting half of the engine (1-3-5). The closer to the TB the better so it goes into both banks equally.
Yeah, when I did it I used the vacuum line right on top of the TB. I let about 1/3 of a can get sucked in slowly, then plunged the line into the Seafoam. Approximately 1/4 of the bottle got sucked in, the engine sputtered and died. I didn't think about hydrolock but my Max seems fine and I'm sure Seafoam vaporizes much easier than water does.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:38 PM

when i first got my Max, i did a throttle body cleaning, it worked but did not even come close to what seafoam did for my car. But i just used the vaccum line from the brake booster. My friend had told me to use that line cuz it feeds to all of the cylinders, plus the can even stated so. So what i did was put a little in the gas tank, alittle in the crankcase and the rest bout a 1/3 or so in through the brake booster vaccum line. The hose was big so i just turned the can upside down and it sucked right into the engine no prob. I let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then i started it up and i thought the smoke would never quit coming out. It poured and poured my whole part of the neighborhood was smoked out. Yeah i had the whole spyhunter smoke screen thing goin on, looked like something was seriously wrong with my Max. But yes seafoam does work, my car runs so much better now.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 PM

has anyone ever tried taking all the spark plugs out, putting some mystery oil in the holes, waiting a few hours and cranking the engine till the liquid comesout? i read it in the oils/lubricants forums and every has said its raised their mpg and made their car run smoother.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM

That does work, the rotary guys call it a MMO (MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil) bath. Car smokes alot but it works magic on their apex seals, infact alot of them can buy a dead rx7, dump some of the MMO in it and bam, cars running fine again. Just dont put to much in and you should be fine.