3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Vacuum Tubes/Idle air control

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:47 AM

I've got a 1992 SE 5 sp and I want to clean out the Idle air control valve. The fitted vacuum tubing going to this idle adjustment valve is swollen, so I want to replace it, but I can't find anything like it. Two of the small tubes coming from this part do a 180 degree turn out of it and go to some metal pipes attached to, I believe, the the intake manifold or throttle body. I can't find these tubes at the dealer or on line and I'm worried about kinking if I just use straight tubing. I went to the dealer and the diagrams in thier computer don't look anything like my idle air control unit. i confirmed that the diagram was supposedly for the 1992 SE manual. The IAC's in thier diagrams have connectors that point towards the other connectors and use short straight vacuum hoses to connect. Where can I get these fitted hoses and why doesn't the dealer parts diagrams look like my car?

Thanks, 92 Max
Old 03-15-2004, 09:21 AM

What do you mean "fitted"? Can't you just buy some vacuum tubing from autozone and use it? I am getting ready to replace all of mine soon and I was just going to use the straight stuff from there.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 92 Max
I've got a 1992 SE 5 sp and I want to clean out the Idle air control valve. The fitted vacuum tubing going to this idle adjustment valve is swollen, so I want to replace it, but I can't find anything like it. Two of the small tubes coming from this part do a 180 degree turn out of it and go to some metal pipes attached to, I believe, the the intake manifold or throttle body. I can't find these tubes at the dealer or on line and I'm worried about kinking if I just use straight tubing. I went to the dealer and the diagrams in thier computer don't look anything like my idle air control unit. i confirmed that the diagram was supposedly for the 1992 SE manual. The IAC's in thier diagrams have connectors that point towards the other connectors and use short straight vacuum hoses to connect. Where can I get these fitted hoses and why doesn't the dealer parts diagrams look like my car?

Thanks, 92 Max
I have had mine off to clean it out and you are right the tubes are moulded in a 90 degree bend. It was well worth taking apart and cleaning my car idles alot better. The piston in the valve was stuck. you will loose some antifreeze when you pulloff the valve. You need a new gasket or gasket maker to seal it.
Regards Don 92 VE
Old 03-15-2004, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rosamax
What do you mean "fitted"? Can't you just buy some vacuum tubing from autozone and use it? I am getting ready to replace all of mine soon and I was just going to use the straight stuff from there.
The tubes that connect up the the Idle air control unit have bends molded into then so they make these tight turns without kinking.

92 Max
Old 03-15-2004, 04:51 PM

The dealer diagrams didn't match my car either, so after harassing the parts guy for a bit (buddy of mine) we came to the conclusion my car had been in some sort of accident where either the engine, or just the upper intake plenum had been replaced. It's also a 92SE 5spd VE30DE, but it lacks the 90 tubing and the power valve, and the carbon canister was clumsily rerouted into nothingness.

Check to make sure you have that power valve (MrGones' picture archives are an amazing resource here), and you'll know if possibly having the wrong manifold is the reason for your troubles. Good luck : )
Old 03-15-2004, 08:30 PM

sorry, I didn't see the part in your post about kinking the hoses. I will take my IACV off tommorrow as well because my car idles funny too. Have you gone to the autozone websight and looked at their diagrams? I'm not sure if this would be in detail or not but you have to look our cars up under '93 and up maximas. Hope this helps clarify if it should be like that or not. I'll look tommorrow so I can get a better idea of what you see.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by midoriryu
The dealer diagrams didn't match my car either, so after harassing the parts guy for a bit (buddy of mine) we came to the conclusion my car had been in some sort of accident where either the engine, or just the upper intake plenum had been replaced. It's also a 92SE 5spd VE30DE, but it lacks the 90 tubing and the power valve, and the carbon canister was clumsily rerouted into nothingness.

Check to make sure you have that power valve (MrGones' picture archives are an amazing resource here), and you'll know if possibly having the wrong manifold is the reason for your troubles. Good luck : )
I bought the car new, and haven't changed these parts, so it's stock. The idle air control and the tubing matches the diagrams in the shop manual from Nissan for this car, but the diagrams and components at the Nissan parts counter computer don't look at all like the IAC or tubing in the manual, even for the 5 sp.