3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Leaving my VE, moving on to something else.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:27 AM

I am taking the motor out and selling it. Andy (my mechanic) is going to keep the car until Sunday, if not fixed then thats it, i'm taking my car to my friends house and we're parting it, I mean when I am done I am going to junk a frame. So nothing will be up for sale until Sunday. People already have dibs on stuff and are ready to pay but this is what I am going to do, I am going to bring the car over on Sunday to my friends house and then from there I will start taking things out of the car, first thing that is comig out is the tranny with the clutch and flyhwheel, then i am going to take apart the whole front so i can slide the motor out since I won't have a engine hoist to take it out. So once the parts are out and available I will be posting them up in a new thread. Please if interested in a part e-mail me at bastoculo@aol.com or I.M. at bastoculo

I wanted to take the car out yesterday but my mechanic wanted to try some more stuff till Sunday. Most likely I don't think the car will be fixed so start taking dibs on parts and make a reasonable offer, no bs its hard enough to part the car for me.

Thanks Once Again,
Diego
Old 03-24-2004, 02:12 PM

You're sick of the electrical gremlins in your Nissan, so you're selling it to get an E36 BMW that's probably out of warranty (or at least getting close) and probably approaching 100k? Don't get me wrong, they're nice cars and lots of fun to drive, but if you're looking for something more reliable and less headaches than what you've got, I think you might be looking on the wrong continent.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:01 PM

You are entitled to your opinion. I've worked on a lot of BMW's and have friends with a lot of BMW's and they never give any kind of problems. Yes like every car they have some things but at least they have a solution not like my maxima. Plus like I mentioned before I was planning on moving on to something else.

Originally Posted by grody
You're sick of the electrical gremlins in your Nissan, so you're selling it to get an E36 BMW that's probably out of warranty (or at least getting close) and probably approaching 100k? Don't get me wrong, they're nice cars and lots of fun to drive, but if you're looking for something more reliable and less headaches than what you've got, I think you might be looking on the wrong continent.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by D-sta
I am taking the motor out and selling it. Andy (my mechanic) is going to keep the car until Sunday, if not fixed then thats it, i'm taking my car to my friends house and we're parting it, I mean when I am done I am going to junk a frame. So nothing will be up for sale until Sunday. People already have dibs on stuff and are ready to pay but this is what I am going to do, I am going to bring the car over on Sunday to my friends house and then from there I will start taking things out of the car, first thing that is comig out is the tranny with the clutch and flyhwheel, then i am going to take apart the whole front so i can slide the motor out since I won't have a engine hoist to take it out. So once the parts are out and available I will be posting them up in a new thread. Please if interested in a part e-mail me at bastoculo@aol.com or I.M. at bastoculo

I wanted to take the car out yesterday but my mechanic wanted to try some more stuff till Sunday. Most likely I don't think the car will be fixed so start taking dibs on parts and make a reasonable offer, no bs its hard enough to part the car for me.

Thanks Once Again,
Diego
i take it i shouldnt make plans to meet you somewhere a week from this saturday so my friend could take a look at it and maybe buy it?

oh well...are you willing to sell me the exhaust manifolds? how much?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Way out West

Hey, Diego, it looks like you have a pretty long list of guys wanting parts. I put my dibs in on the first page. Try to PM or email me an updated list after your local pals get theirs.

Don't worry about getting a new ride. As much as I like my Max, if I could get into a G35 or an M3 I'd drop this red monster like a hot potato.

best of luck,

chris
Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 PM

I would love to get those Greddy caps from ya if nobody wanted them! So sry to hear about the car that suks to part... On to bigger n better!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

D- Im still interested in the parts we talked about two weeks ago, give me a call or Ill call you tommorow, I may even take the whole car from you for my brother, if not you know the stuff I would want.

btw all you vultures I called dids on stuff weeks ago

btw D you dont have to sell it just because Ill be faster soon, you could have let me have one race.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:07 AM

I will call you tonight.

Originally Posted by N34JZ
D- Im still interested in the parts we talked about two weeks ago, give me a call or Ill call you tommorow, I may even take the whole car from you for my brother, if not you know the stuff I would want.

btw all you vultures I called dids on stuff weeks ago

btw D you dont have to sell it just because Ill be faster soon, you could have let me have one race.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:53 AM

My 3rd Gen needs a new home as well...I replaced the tranny, clutch, flywheel, axles, brakes, control arms, starter and tires all in October. I had an unfortunate incident with a spark plug getting shot through the head and destroying the coil on it. That nightmare made me decide to get a new car, so as you can see, I got a great 5th gen that is keeping me busy. Worst part is that I ended fixing the spark plug issue when I got the 5th gen. So the 3rd gen is running well, but the suspension is still shot. The new tranny is definitely an improvement from the way the car was, but now the new T/O bearing is making noises...damn Exedy bearing. Other than the rattles, the car runs amazing. 165k on it and the VTCs are still good after the 50k miles I put on the car in less than 2 years!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:27 AM

Sad to see 3rd gens to go but things happen for a reason. Clark I feel your pain as to the situation with our cars. I love my 3rd gen and planned on never selling but it seems that it wants to go and let me get something else.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

D,
Sorry to hear your plight. I can only imagine how you must feel. I plan on never parting with mine... and yours seems to have given you less problems than I have had with mine. Well either way, good luck. You'll still be part of 3rd gen for life!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:16 AM

Yes I will be here on the forums forever lol. There is nothing better than the 3rd gen forums at maxima.org
Old 03-25-2004, 12:50 PM

NOOO!!!!... i want to see pssttt.. as diego
Old 03-25-2004, 02:48 PM

my original offer still stands for that hunk of junk. sad to hear, but i wouldnt strip it. just take the mods off and sell it as a whole stock car. youll never get what you put into the car otherwise
Old 03-25-2004, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
The new tranny is definitely an improvement from the way the car was, but now the new T/O bearing is making noises...damn Exedy bearing. Other than the rattles, the car runs amazing. 165k on it and the VTCs are still good after the 50k miles I put on the car in less than 2 years!
what kind of noise does the t/o make? any other problems with the clutch?

i had my exedy replaced to a new one in january assuming it would solve that everlong problem i had when i was swapped to 5sp... and its still acting up
Old 03-25-2004, 06:08 PM

Boxxy, is that a stage 1? My stage one and a few others I've seen have come with the NTN throw out bearing (same one the ACT clutch uses).

Diego, weeee
Old 03-25-2004, 06:20 PM

Dibs on driver side tail light.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:26 PM

Have you tried using the 470k ohm resistor just to see if it would work better? I'm sure you've checked alot of stuff, but this is worth trying since it costs less than $.50 to try.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If swowlinc doesn't take the greddy sp I'll take it...how much?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:50 AM

Yeah I've got the Exedy Stage I in there. The T/O bearing is making a buzzing/vibrating sound. I obviously goes away when the clutch is depressed. Its not a big deal and its not nearly as loud as it was before I replaced it. I loved this car and didnt plan on letting it go, but sometimes you just need to. The 5th gen has all the same options as the 3rd gen does, without the IRS and true Maxima style. The 5th gen has VTCs, VI, 6spd, cloth, moonroof, and HLSD. Its definitely the closest gen to the 3rd gen IMO.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Im izz sexay

If you are completly parting out I need the transmision. I can also do pickup if it is properly arranged. I will also need everything related to this since I am converting ie. bolts and all that little stuff.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Man please dont part out such a nice car because of one problem.

Trust me it will take longer to make your money that way. Try to sell it as is or take your performance stuff off and sell it stock but please dont junk such a nice car.

I say that but hey its your car so do what you want...I just think its a shame to part it out is all.

I am going to try to catch you on aim tonight and tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:10 PM

How much for the HID kit?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:55 PM

Hey guys, I've been working a lot and had no time to check for the forums. I am picking up the car on Sunday and I am going to be parting a bit on Sunday night but most of the stuff will come out on Friday and Sunday. So about in a week and half I should have most of the stuff out and ready to ship and up for sale. I know those who are interested in specific parts so I know who to ask for what first. Whatever is left over I will post in a new thread and and name a price for everything. I appreciate all the efforts and suggestion everyone has put forth into helping me solve my problem but its time to go since I found my car and I can't be with a drain to my bank account anymore. Mike my mechanic can't believe that I will be junking such a good body but what can you do, I know you like picking up rolling chasis make me an offer and its yours lol.

Thanks Once Again,
Diego W.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:47 PM

how much for the chasis... I dunno how much a reasonable offer would be... how much are you looking for?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se
how much for the chasis... I dunno how much a reasonable offer would be... how much are you looking for?
JUst make me an offer and we'll go from there.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:26 PM

D, you know what i want... i still hope i still have first dibbs on it

i'll talk to you monday, i need it ASAP
Old 03-28-2004, 05:38 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

D, same stuff we talked about just let me know what you want for it. And Im glad you found another car so quick.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:53 AM
Im izz sexay

Maximan190 i sent you an email due to the fact that your pm box is full.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by grody

I don't think you could be further from the truth. e36 BMW's are VERY reliable cars, and electrical problems are very rare. Please do not call "sour grapes" unless you have concrete experiences with the issues you describe.

If you don't believe me, do yourself a search on www.bimmerforums.com or post a new thread there.

There are a handful of areas that may need updated on the e36, but its mostly minor stuff or should be considered maintenance for a 100k+ mile car. Here is my short list:

-Plastic thermostat housing and waterpump (if it has plastic impellers, 97+ did not have this issue). The aftermarket has great options there, and parts are less than $100. Might as well do your radiator hoses and thermostat while you are in there.

-Rear shock mounts. The stock RSM's and even the stock suspension starts to wear out between 50k-80k miles for the M3. Again, the aftermarket has some GREAT options. I highly recommend www.ground-control.com for your suspension needs. Aftermarket (stronger) RSM's ~$100.

-Rear trailing arm bushings. ~$18 each at the dealer and you need a pair. Not a bad DIY if you have a special tool.

-everything else is just normal maintenance. I would highly recommend having the car inspected at a local dealership before you buy it, could be well worth the $150! (especially if buying long distance). After you buy it, plan on a FULL inspection which could cost over $500, depending on the condition of the car.

Sure, the e36 has some weak points but doesn't EVERY car? For $200 in parts you can easily strengthen the three weak points I mention... not bad for one of the greatest driving machines on the road!

Dude, you will be absolutely pleased with an e36 M3. DO NOT look back and do not let anybody else hold you back or make you feel somehow obligated to the Maxima community to not move on. I have owned a 97 M3 for over 4.5 years and it's been an absolutely fabulous car. I have 96k miles on it and it pulls just as strong, and sparkles better than the day I bought it. An absolutely pleasure to drive... its a big step up from the Max. (which my GXE is my daily driver/commuter/winter beater)

I highly recommend spending some time on the www.bimmerforums.com board, feel free to ask questions there. You can even search and don't have to pay anything

With BBS RG-R 18x8.5's:

max w/ silverstars vs M3 with HID's (both are my cars)

The track is the perfect place to explore the capabilities of your car, and improve your own car control skills. What better way to enjoy your BMW?
Old 03-28-2004, 10:56 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I need/want the grille por favor
Old 03-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Im izz sexay

Give me a price on that tranny pleez. I will arrange for a pay and pick up within two weeks. I need it fast. I will also need everything that is connected to it due to the fact that I have a VG and you are a VE.

BTW nice freakin M3!! Can I test it out some day. Probably when I get my own. Whenever I can afford it.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

tranny is spoken for
Old 03-28-2004, 07:33 PM

everything on the 1st pg + intake, just pends on $

im thinking about the engine, ill pop online this week and we can discuss.. also this weekend and all of next week im off on spring break so ill def be available to head out and get everything and help you with the parts
Old 03-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Way out West

I am still interested in the stuff I had mentioned in the first post on page 1. Please PM me when you get pricing and availability.

thanks,

chris
Old 03-29-2004, 08:51 AM

I have a Black VE grille for sale
Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 AM

D-Sta, what do you have left?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Diego how much you want for the rear seats ? I can pick them up. I swear I saw you on Union Turnpike Sunday night while i was leaving work. Thought you had got it running straight. Sorry it has to come down to this.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ummmm. I truely understand the situation. But
1) One guy is going on an E36 rant.
2) The rest of the thread is for sale items.

I'll just lock it. D-sta, start a new for sale in the for sale section. You can use this thread as a reference.