3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Speedomter/odometer/Elec window problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 AM

Speedomter/odometer/Elec window problems

Hi, my speedometer doesnt work, period. Is they're a fuse or this? Under closer inspection is has came to my attention that the otometer does NOT work. Please someone help me. I looked under the hood I seen something that looks like it plugs in, close to the area with the dash, towards the back of the engine bay. It's just hanging there. Could that be my problem? Where should I plug that thing in at? Thanks! Any other suggestions?

Also, My Back window I suppose fell off track? How would I go about getting this panel off to check and see if I can put it back on a track?? The driver side goes down fine, but when i go UP it takes FOREVER to go up.. after I get about halfway up, & I have to keep repeadily hitting the window up button to make it go all the way up after the slow down. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:16 PM

Your vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is most likely bad. It is located in the transmission right in front of the firewall (close to the oil filter in a VG). You can always check to see if the harness is unplugged or fried. You can also check the code in your ECU which is in the passenger's left kick panel (remove two screws, put key in ignition, turn to On position but don't turn the car on, use a flathead screwdriver and turn the screw counter clockwise until it stops, count how many times the red light flashes--one long flash followed by four short flashes is code 14 which is the VSS)...whew.
I had this problem for a long time before I just ordered one from www.courtesyparts.com (Courtesy Nissan in TX). They give us a hefty discount

The window problem is probably your regulator. You have to remove the door panel to get to the track. Go to Craig Brace's website http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/ in the How To section. His website is helpful for many things.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:57 PM

Here's a pic which shows where the sensor is (I have a manual transmission, btw). To the right is the firewall and to the left is the rear of the engine. You will need about 18" extension and ratchet to reach the 10mm bolt from the top.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. But, I was thinking, do the ODOMETEr and the SPEEDOMETER run on the same cable? If so then it's more than likely the cable right? Since neither are working..
Old 03-26-2004, 07:28 AM

Well, I installed my new speed sensor yesterday, and my speedometer and odometer still don't work. I'm thinking the ECU isn't recognizing it since it's still flashing the code 14 even though I've unplugged the neg terminal for a couple of hours.

It could be the harness that's fried, but I'm going to do more investigation.

Btw, is it possible to reverse the connections in the back of the gauge cluster so that the odo and speedo don't work? Or do the harnesses go in only one way?