3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Installing AE pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Getting back to his roots

Installing AE pedals?

I bought the set of AE pedals from JRNissan. I got the gas pedal installed (though the AE pedal doesn't have a notch for the spring that our pedal uses). However, I am a bit stumped with the brake / clutch pedal combo. Another thread (for the 4th gen install) says to put them in boiling water to soften them up, but I think the 4th gen pedals are a little narrower than ours. I may just file some metal from the sides of the pedals to get the covers to go on. If anyone has attempted this before please give me any advice you can. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Way out West

I was thinking about doing the same thing soon. Please post when you get it figured out. Maybe take some pics, too.

How is the gas pedal? I was kind of wondering about that one. I didn't know that the other two didn't fit right, I thought they worked with no problems. Someone has them on a 3rd gen, but I can't remember who, it has been several months since I saw it.

thanks,

chris
Old 03-25-2004, 09:09 AM

Old 03-25-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by icepick

Sorry for the size. I figured cardomain would shrink them a little more. As you can see, the stock pedals are wider than the AE pedals, so I was thinking of using a file to shave some metal off of the sides of the brake and clutch pedals (very tedious I'm sure). Anyone with a better suggestion is welcome to let me know; I am no expert on this stuff by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:36 PM

I would use a dremel to shave off some metal. BTW how much did you pay for the pedals?
Old 03-25-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by LegitMafiaBoss
I would use a dremel to shave off some metal. BTW how much did you pay for the pedals?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=291532
Old 03-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Banned

Hey man... I saw you at the Wolly Beach Meet a couple weeks back,

I just got the pedals too, how'd you get the current pedal covers off???

I couldn't find anything in the factory service manual about replacing them...

Brian
Old 03-30-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1989MaxMan
Hey man... I saw you at the Wolly Beach Meet a couple weeks back,

I just got the pedals too, how'd you get the current pedal covers off???

I couldn't find anything in the factory service manual about replacing them...

Brian
The brake and clutch pedal covers just peel right off (they are rubber). The gas pedal is a different story. I took off the 2 10mm bolts holding the pedal assembly to the firewall, then actually had to hack the pin that made the gas pedal pivot of. I took a hacksaw and sawed a small piece of the thin bar that was the pivot point (you will understand what I mean when you take the pedal off). I then wrapped the L-shaped piece with some electrical tape so it would fit snugly in the hole in AE gas pedal. I'm gonna put a little epoxy on the pedal to keep it from slipping off. I bought some grinding stones to grind the brake / clutch pedals, but have been too lazy to actually do it (cold weather returned). Let me know if you have any alternative ideas.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
The brake and clutch pedal covers just peel right off (they are rubber). The gas pedal is a different story. I took off the 2 10mm bolts holding the pedal assembly to the firewall, then actually had to hack the pin that made the gas pedal pivot of. I took a hacksaw and sawed a small piece of the thin bar that was the pivot point (you will understand what I mean when you take the pedal off). I then wrapped the L-shaped piece with some electrical tape so it would fit snugly in the hole in AE gas pedal. I'm gonna put a little epoxy on the pedal to keep it from slipping off. I bought some grinding stones to grind the brake / clutch pedals, but have been too lazy to actually do it (cold weather returned). Let me know if you have any alternative ideas.
Wouldnt it be better to just use a hacksaw and take of 1/4" of of each pedal?

Not sure if 1/8" on each side or 1/4" on one side would be better...

I'll have a go at the accelerator anyways...the linkage on mine seemed kind of loose, might think about tightening the accelerator cable after i reinstall it...depends if WOT is truly opening the Throttle body 100% or not...

Later
Brian
Old 03-30-2004, 02:29 PM

Update

Originally Posted by 1989MaxMan
Wouldnt it be better to just use a hacksaw and take of 1/4" of of each pedal?

Not sure if 1/8" on each side or 1/4" on one side would be better...

I'll have a go at the accelerator anyways...the linkage on mine seemed kind of loose, might think about tightening the accelerator cable after i reinstall it...depends if WOT is truly opening the Throttle body 100% or not...

Later
Brian

I got one of the pedals on.

I cut 3/8" off of the right side of the clutch pedal (2nd attempt -- I took 1/4" off of the left side of the brake pedal and it wasn't enough). I then rounded off the corners with a metal file to make it easier to force them on. I then stuck the pedal cover in boiling water for 30 seconds to soften the rubber, put a glove on one hand to hold the hot pedal cover, shoved it over one side, tugged with one hand and peeled the rubber back with another to get it on the pedal. PITA, but it's on and looks great. I'm gonna file some metal off the brake pedal tomorrow and get the cover on. I decided to cut on the right side of the clutch pedal and left side of the brake pedal to put a little more distance between the two, but if I had to do it again I'd cut on the right side of bith pedals so that you can force the pedal onto the "natural" corner (upper left or lower left) when you go to put the pedal cover on. Ok, I'm done for now.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:27 PM
STFU n00b!

I'll have pics of the pedals made for your cars soon.....
Old 04-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Pedals AND Saab Cupholder installed!!!

Bumpy Bumpy

I FINALLY got around to installing the brake pedal cover (combo of laziness and wanting to tackle multiple projects in one day). I deleted the original pics above, here is a pic of the finished product:

I also ordered some Saab cupholders from Ebay and installed them (I believe Michael w/ the 3 Maximas, one of them is blue) had the original idea and install. All I had to do was pry off a metal clip on either side of them and then drill new holes for the double-din mounting bracket (pretty easy). Here is how they came out:

I like the coin tray and the new cupholders, though honestly the holes for the cups aren't much bigger than the "stock" ones (probly can't fit a 20oz soda in either of them). Regardless, it was an inexpensive mod that makes my car just a tad more unique. The cupholders were $21 + shipping from Ebay.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Methinks I'm going to ask put those pedal covers on the birthday list
Old 04-20-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone

Methinks I'm going to ask put those pedal covers on the birthday list
I would wait to see what Matt's pedals look like (see the post above my new one). If they look sweet and are a direct fit, you might want to consider them as I had to hack off pieces of the metal pedals to get these to fit (they are ~0.5" narrower than the stock pedals). It is not too hard, but I'd personally pay an extra $10 to not go through the hassle again. If you really like the AE pedals (I think they are really sweet looking), then by all means get them and I'll do a write up.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Way out West

when you get them done, Matt post some good pics. I decided to wait on the AE pedals and just bought the shift ****, but I might be interested in yours.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

I got the AE gas pedal installed, just waiting for a nice day to break out the hacksaw and file... to finish the other two pedals.

Brian
Old 04-21-2004, 08:03 AM

WOW, those look really good. Are there AE pedals for an auto?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seyath
WOW, those look really good. Are there AE pedals for an auto?
Yup!

Brian