3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:51 AM

Air Conditioning

I have had my Max during the winter, when I open the hood I see the a/c compressor. Yet my electronic dash will not let me go under 18 deg C. Is there a sensor for this ?
Also do we have the interior light numbers posted anywhere for all comparments ?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that's how its supposed to work
on the US auto climate control, it's limited to temp ranges from 65-85 (F). Looks like yours is about the same (18C=64.4F). It should probably go up to about 29 or 30. There are several sensors to help maintain the temp (sunload sensor, ambient sensor, in-vehicle sensor, intake sensor).
But I think it's working like it's supposed to. To turn the A/C on, you just make sure it's in AUTO mode and set the temp you want.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:38 AM

right, auto goes up to 32 and the lowest is 18. But I dont see an a/c button or switch! in auto, manual or econ!
Any insight on those interior bulbs? anybody
Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 AM

If you have an owner's manual for the car, I'd suggest reading that. It explains a lot about the climate control system. But I'm guessing you dont or you probably would already have figured it out.

AUTO mode means air conditioning or dehumidified heating
ECON mode means heating
or you can hit OFF and then use the fan and vent mode buttons to control it
Old 03-25-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
If you have an owner's manual for the car, I'd suggest reading that. It explains a lot about the climate control system. But I'm guessing you dont or you probably would already have figured it out.

AUTO mode means air conditioning or dehumidified heating
ECON mode means heating
or you can hit OFF and then use the fan and vent mode buttons to control it
Hey Craig,

Ever thought about displaying indoor temperature on a/c display? There is an a/c system test procedure described in FSM. In one of the tests it displays indor temperature. Now I'm thinking if it's possible to get it showing by pressing some button in work mode, not in test mode...

Max
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 AM

I was gonna say the "AMB" button but then realized you were talking about interior. You can see it in test mode 5, but that's not useful when driving since you have to press/hold the off button within 10 seconds of turning on the car to get into test mode.

Why do you want the interior temp? After a couple minutes, it should be pretty close to whatever you have your climate control set at so I dont think it'd be very useful to display the readings of the in-vehicle sensor (that's the one right by the radio). Also, I dont know how you'd do it on the existing climate control display so that's why I'm avoiding the question
Old 03-25-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
I was gonna say the "AMB" button but then realized you were talking about interior. You can see it in test mode 5, but that's not useful when driving since you have to press/hold the off button within 10 seconds of turning on the car to get into test mode.

Why do you want the interior temp? After a couple minutes, it should be pretty close to whatever you have your climate control set at so I dont think it'd be very useful to display the readings of the in-vehicle sensor (that's the one right by the radio). Also, I dont know how you'd do it on the existing climate control display so that's why I'm avoiding the question
Why would I need it?.. I don't know. Just for fun probably )
You're right, normally it will be close to what the climate control is set. But in some cases it possibly won't. Let's say I didn't set climate control to Auto mode on the hot day. Then a/c won't work and temperature inside would be higher than what is set on c/c.
Anyway, the bottom line is you didn't think about doing this
May be I'll take another look at wiring diagrams. If the signal for inside temperature is coming from the sensor in the same form/level as for oudoor temperature then there might be some solution...
Old 03-25-2004, 10:39 AM

The way that the system works is that the AC compressor runs when the climate control system is in the auto mode. When the climate control unit is in the econ mode the system still maintains temperature, but does not use the AC compressor (use this feature in the winter). The range is from 18C to 32C.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by m_maxxy
Why would I need it?.. I don't know. Just for fun probably )
You're right, normally it will be close to what the climate control is set. But in some cases it possibly won't. Let's say I didn't set climate control to Auto mode on the hot day. Then a/c won't work and temperature inside would be higher than what is set on c/c.
Anyway, the bottom line is you didn't think about doing this
May be I'll take another look at wiring diagrams. If the signal for inside temperature is coming from the sensor in the same form/level as for oudoor temperature then there might be some solution...
I can tell you that the ambient sensor and the in-vehicle sensor use the same type of resistive element so you'll get the same resistance reading from the ambient sensor as the in-vehicle if there at the same temp. So if you really wanted to, you could open up the ACC unit and probably trace some of the wiring on the PCB to find where the AMB button goes to and reroute it to the in-vehicle line. The FSM doesn't provide any internal wiring for PCBS or schematics so you'd be on your own on that one. I think it'd doable but you could end up completely messing up the whole unit accidentally