3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Upgraded Exhaust Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Upgraded Exhaust Question...

Guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading the exhaust and was curious to know how many of you guys invested in a new B-pipe or are you still using the stock one? I just ordered my aluminized steel WSP Y-pipe (finally!) and I'm going to order a MagnaFlow/Carsound Hi-Flow Cat either tonight or tomorrow (eBay). Since the setup is going to be the 2.5", I was curious if I am going to need an adapter for the cat-to-b-pipe, b-pipe-to-muffler, should I just look for a new 2.5" dia. b-pipe section, or is the stock one OK to run with this setup? I know WSP sells them, but is there anyone else out there that sells them at a reasonable price? I've also heard a lot of you guys are running MagnaFlow mufflers and are very happy with them. I'm looking for the one with dual 4" tips that I saw a while ago, but haven't seen since (I believe it was designed for a 300zx)...

If you guys are still running the stock b-pipe, how did you connect everything and is there a big difference in performance if the b-pipe section isn't 2.5" diameter like the rest of the exhaust is.

As always, your advice and expertise in this matter is greatly appreciated in advance...

peace2u
Old 04-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Pit5Bull
Guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading the exhaust and was curious to know how many of you guys invested in a new B-pipe or are you still using the stock one? I just ordered my aluminized steel WSP Y-pipe (finally!) and I'm going to order a MagnaFlow/Carsound Hi-Flow Cat either tonight or tomorrow (eBay). Since the setup is going to be the 2.5", I was curious if I am going to need an adapter for the cat-to-b-pipe, b-pipe-to-muffler, should I just look for a new 2.5" dia. b-pipe section, or is the stock one OK to run with this setup? I know WSP sells them, but is there anyone else out there that sells them at a reasonable price? I've also heard a lot of you guys are running MagnaFlow mufflers and are very happy with them. I'm looking for the one with dual 4" tips that I saw a while ago, but haven't seen since (I believe it was designed for a 300zx)...

If you guys are still running the stock b-pipe, how did you connect everything and is there a big difference in performance if the b-pipe section isn't 2.5" diameter like the rest of the exhaust is.

As always, your advice and expertise in this matter is greatly appreciated in advance...

peace2u

The flanges on the hi-flow cat are the same size as those on the OEM cat (at least mine were). It bolted up to my stock b-pipe just fine. Eventually, I upgraded to a WSP b-pipe. If you do that, and still run the magnaflow, get a large resonator otherwise the magnaflow will be loud.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:15 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Generally, when referring to an 'upgraded exhaust' that includes larger diamater mandrel bent b-piping with muffler (cat-back exhaust.. like the GReddy). A 'performance' muffler on the stock b-piping isnt really an upgraded exhaust, that's just what most of us here like to refer to as a fart pipe.

If you want a truly 'upgraded exhaust' dont just run a fart pipe, get a y-pipe, high-flow cat, and a true cat-back..
Old 04-16-2004, 10:06 AM

U guys are great!!!

@ Mizeree_X --> Q: Is the resonator part of the muffler or the b-pipe? I thought that the resonator was part of the muffler...

@ James92SE --> Thanks for the advice. I plan to do that as soon as the funds are available, but after some necessary repairs are completed. Is there anyone out there that supplies b-pipes for 3rd Gens other than WSP, or should I try a local muffler shop for a custom 2.5" dia. one?

BTW - Did you guys do the work yourselves, or did you go to a muffler shop and have them put it together for you?

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Pit5Bull
U guys are great!!!

@ Mizeree_X --> Q: Is the resonator part of the muffler or the b-pipe? I thought that the resonator was part of the muffler...

@ James92SE --> Thanks for the advice. I plan to do that as soon as the funds are available, but after some necessary repairs are completed. Is there anyone out there that supplies b-pipes for 3rd Gens other than WSP, or should I try a local muffler shop for a custom 2.5" dia. one?

BTW - Did you guys do the work yourselves, or did you go to a muffler shop and have them put it together for you?

Thanks again!

The resonator I was referring to was part of the b-pipe. It's basically a pre-muffler, helps reduce the drone and noise level of the exhaust. Greddy made a complete cat-back for our cars (not sure if they are still producing it) which includes a muffler but costs $500. My WSP b-pipe came in 3 pieces and I don't know how to weld so I brought it to a shop to have it installed. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you are on a budget, spend it on the Y 1st. Then maybe a high flow cat (if it needs replacing), then the rest of the exhaust.
I run a modified Cattman Y, put a longer flex section that doesn't break, a modified 2.5" carsound 4-gen cat and a custom 2.25"-ish cat back to a Y2K muffler.

I ran a Y with the stock cat/catback and some riced out muffler + JWT ecu + Cone filter, Ground wire kit(custom) and dyno'd at 175hp/185ftlbs torque.

I think the smaller pipes might really boost the torque down low with a slight loss of hp(my guess).
Old 04-16-2004, 10:22 AM

@Mizeree_X --> Thanks so much, bro. You've been very helpful.

BTW - The muffler I wanted wasn't a MagnaFlow, it was a PowerTech muffler. They look like they're comparable to the MagnaFlow, but does anybody have anything to say about them? They appear to be just as well made, but maybe a bit cheaper in price than the MagnaFlow. I'm not sure about their web address, but I've seen their products, and they look like quality stuff. I'm only concerned about the fact that they're advertised as being about 35% louder than a stock muffler because of the straight-through design (but I know all straight-through designs are louder anyway).

peace2u
Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 AM

@Jeff92se...

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to show up on this one...

U know I trust your advice, bro. You've helped me out so many times in the past, so now I'm ready to start inch my way into the next level of performance. I've already ordered my WSP y-pipe, and also ordered the piping for a CAI made for a 90-93 Honda Accord. I'm about to order the 2.5" Carsound Hi-Flow Cat, and I'm leaning towards getting this Powertech, dual-tip muffler (Model# PT-1011) -- all from eBay. Don't have the extra $$$ for the b-pipe right now but will soon. I want the intake/exhaust finished by next month so I can move on to the suspension & wheels. I just need to get a hold of some kind of template for the CAI (should be the same as the WSP one, so I've been told)so I know where to cut the hole in the engine bay to the fender well.

Glad to hear from you. Hope all's been well with U...

BTW --> Two Q's for you, bro: #1 -What's the ground wire kit for??? I know I've been away for awhile, so I bet I've missed something... #2 - On the Carsound Hi-Flow Cat, do you get the one with or without the air tube?

peace2u
Old 04-16-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm if you want that muffler, then get it. I don't know about it. But maybe wait to install it. You can always install the Y and cat now and see if you like it.

Ground wire kit. An extra set of ground wires to boost the small ground wires on the VG/VE maximas(actually all gen maximas). Dig around the section. You will find all about them