3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

HELP! car won't go into gear...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:45 PM

HELP! car won't go into gear...........

This just happened tonight; I went to go start my car and as soon as i put my foot on the brake, a buzzing noise comes on and the car won't go into gear. I'm like "wow, you don't see this everyday." I have to manually put it into gear by pressing the red tab at the bottom of the shifter.
has anyone ever had this problem before I take it to Nissan to go find out what the problem is.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:03 PM

do u hear the little ticking sound from the shifter when u press the brake? (u should)

i know this sounds crazy.. but check all ur tail light bulb harness carfully and see if any lines are melting/shorting out. (if this is the problem) this will make a short in ur car and prevent u from shifting.. u may have to replace the tail light fuse or somthing along with the bulb harness.. (2.99, auto zone).. haven't had that problem in a long time so i forget.. but check ur tail lights!
good luck
Old 04-28-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisCheezer
do u hear the little ticking sound from the shifter when u press the brake? (u should)

i know this sounds crazy.. but check all ur tail light bulb harness carfully and see if any lines are melting/shorting out. (if this is the problem) this will make a short in ur car and prevent u from shifting.. u may have to replace the tail light fuse or somthing along with the bulb harness.. (2.99, auto zone).. haven't had that problem in a long time so i forget.. but check ur tail lights!
good luck

so someone has had this problem before; andf I thought I was nuts. thatnx Chrischeezer, i'll go check them right now and post back in a while.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:52 PM

ok this is weird, but the noise is now gone. I wonder if this has something to do with my car being parked next to the sprinklers earlier before all this happened. The buzzing sound is gone but I dont know for how long. I'm guessing something got wet and now it's dry. Thanx guys for your help.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisCheezer

good luck
Hi,

i have the same problem as him,

when i first start the car and push the brake the shifter **** is hard and it will not let me move into gear, so i have to push the shifter lever button in order for the shifter to move into gear,

i can hear a ticking from the front of the car does it mean there a tail fuse burn out?

if the tail light fuse is burn out were can i look for that?

is it inside the car in the fuse box or in side the engine bay,

can you please give me some advice or solution it would be appreciated,

thankyou,
Old 04-29-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
Hi,

i have the same problem as him,

when i first start the car and push the brake the shifter **** is hard and it will not let me move into gear, so i have to push the shifter lever button in order for the shifter to move into gear,

i can hear a ticking from the front of the car does it mean there a tail fuse burn out?

if the tail light fuse is burn out were can i look for that?

is it inside the car in the fuse box or in side the engine bay,

can you please give me some advice or solution it would be appreciated,

thankyou,
The tick sound when depressing the brake pedle, is a small actuator beneath the shifter. It prevents children from hitting the shifter and the car rolling to their doom. That actuator can go bad, but if it makes the tick noise when hitting the brake pedle it is most likley still functioning.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by eric93SE
The tick sound when depressing the brake pedle, is a small actuator beneath the shifter. It prevents children from hitting the shifter and the car rolling to their doom. That actuator can go bad, but if it makes the tick noise when hitting the brake pedle it is most likley still functioning.
I understand that part; but what is the buzzing all about? Is it like it was described above by the "cheezer"?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:57 AM

buzzing? i never said anything about a buzzing?
- is it comming from your shifter?? or the fuse box or the right kick panal?

-maximagxe90 : the fuse box is inside the car under the wheel, in a removeable panal below the mirror contols. but be for u replace any blown fuses u need to find the short, check each tail light harness (in the trunk) for melting and cracking and shorting.. replace that part of the harness.

this is a common problem with 3rd gens. no biggie

(where the heck is my sig.)
Old 04-29-2004, 02:58 PM

my dads 93 gxe does the same thing with an auto matic transaxle
Old 04-29-2004, 05:58 PM

check for shorts in the tail lights....
Old 04-29-2004, 06:16 PM

umm charge your battery, and you should be able to shift fine after depressing the brake...its your shift lock, check the fuse for "shift lock" too in your fuse panel, it only works correctly if the battery is fully charged, or so the manual says...