3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What stops us!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 AM

What stops us!

hello,
Is there a scraper(?) that sounds when your brake pad is low on 3rd gen maxima's. like you find on domestic cars i.e. cavalier. I did my front brakes on the weekend where I found sleeves ceased, and rotors scarded. Driving to work today, I noticed a grinding noise form the D/S rear brake. (waiting for the loud high pitched squeel of metal on metal never came) when I arrived I had a score in my rotor (rotors are not cheap) yes I may of pick up a stone, but i highly doubt it.
can these rotors be machined ?
and why is there no warning!!!!!!
thanks
Old 04-29-2004, 03:37 AM

i'm pretty sure there is and you can cut rotors
Old 04-29-2004, 04:39 AM
STFU n00b!

There is- or at least was. the fun part is that many people break them off installing the pads because they try to put them on backwards- either that or they break off because they're on backwards.

IMO, the only way you can run out of pads is because of pure negligence anyway. pads last for years on these cars, not weeks. you should look under your car a little more often than that.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:22 AM

ya I would look under my car more often but since i have only had it for four months and it had a complete rear brake job done on it for cert. you think that they wouldnt have gone so soon! but I will be sure to look under my car more often to see the cover covering the rotors and the wheel covering the pads!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

So you don't want to check your own car but you want all of us to take the time to figure out what's wrong with your on ride?

I did a brake job the first week I got the car because well, uh.. I actually took the time to inspect it.

Originally Posted by rimmer1
ya I would look under my car more often but since i have only had it for four months and it had a complete rear brake job done on it for cert. you think that they wouldnt have gone so soon! but I will be sure to look under my car more often to see the cover covering the rotors and the wheel covering the pads!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:15 AM

thats great that you had time to do a brake job on your car as soon as you got it. Your max would of had good brakes when you bought it or it wouldnt of been certifiable. When I see a reciept for a brake job. I'am not going to waste my time or money to redo a brake job that was done by a licenced mechanic!
so youuuu want to come over and fix it since you have the time and the money
Old 04-29-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

Me=USA you=Canada Different purchasing laws etc...

How about you take care of your car and I take care of mine. Or maybe Bill Gates should take care of my house and bills because he's rich and has the time?

thats great that you had time to do a brake job on your car as soon as you got it. Your max would of had good brakes when you bought it or it wouldnt of been certifiable. When I see a reciept for a brake job. I'am not going to waste my time or money to redo a brake job that was done by a licenced mechanic!
so youuuu want to come over and fix it since you have the time and the money
Old 04-29-2004, 11:22 AM

one more thing, jeff and matt, I would like to personally invite you to toronto to look under a car next jan/feb/mar. your choice
Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

One more thing rimmer(name from the cable show?), I personally invite you to read the FAQs, buy a cheap repair manual, some basic tools and do it yourself since it's April/May and not Jan-Mar.

Although my area doesn't get nearly as cold as ON in the winter, I've done engine swaps in the winter with the aid of a propane heater. So let's just say, I've already done tons more than you most likely will. So again, get your hands dirty and inspect/repair the car yourself (since it's now *cough* April *cough*)

one more thing, jeff and matt, I would like to personally invite you to toronto to look under a car next jan/feb/mar. your choice
Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
IMO, the only way you can run out of pads is because of pure negligence anyway. pads last for years on these cars, not weeks. you should look under your car a little more often than that.
Yeah, thats crazy. A friend of mine has origonal brakes and 146,000k on his maxima (granted he only has 1/8th to go until he hits the squeelers). My Mom was just asking me yesterday when she would have to get her brakes done on her Scooby and said they were origonal (almost 100k). I'll be taking a look at them later tonight.

rimmer1. It's really not that hard/complicated, just grab a manual read it threw a few times until your comfortable and go for it.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:50 PM

on the topic of brakes, is it an absolute must to bleed the brakes / mess with brake fluid when changing brake pads? I'm comfortable with changing pads, rotors, but kinda hesitant to touch fluid (bleeding, etc)
Old 04-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lophix - no, it's not necessary

unless you get air in the brake lines (running completely out of the fluid or taking the brake line out of the caliper), then you shouldn't have to worry about bleeding the brakes

It might be a good idea to do it at some regular interval and also to change the brake fluid, but it's not an absolute must. Bleeding brakes isn't anything hard at all though - I'm sure there are some sites online that show you how. Basically you have someone hold the brake pedal, you open the bleeder for a while and they keep on the pedal, then you close it. Repeat many times until fluid coming out has no air bubbles (hook a clear hose to the bleeder screw so you can see it easily).