3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Alternator help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 05:50 PM

Alternator help

Some of you might remember, a couple months ago, after creaming a puddle *no splash guard under alternator* my alternator died. I went to NAPA got another one blah blah, installed it properly and havn't had any problems with my car since. A couple days ago, I had my lights on to take pics for my cardomain site, and never turned the car on. The next day, my car wouldn't start, so I figured it was me having my lights on, charged it or whatever. Ran fine. Today I go to school, come home...go back to school to start my bros car (he left his lights on). Come home and park in the driveway, go to move my car and it wont start...So I think OK my bro just drained my a little. Charged it all up came inside took a nap, went outside and now my car won't start. I put 2 and 2 together and realize it's my alternator. This is where you guys come in: after hooking up my fogs with the help of Craig Brace (thanks Craig!), when driving at night I noticed the brightness of my gauges went up with the RPM gauge...When I posted in another thread about the brightness problem someone said my alt. was on it's way out. About a month after installing my alt. The large ring terminal that connects to the alternator, had burned up, for whatever reason...So I got a new terminal crimped it and it's been all good. I looked up there just now and it seems that a little bit of the wire going into that terminal was exposed and a little green (corroded). The tape that goes around it had burned off from the earlier situation. Now could the gauge brightness be caused by this being corroded...Or is it definitely that my alt. is dead. I think it was rebuilt, and I have the warranty around somewhere, but don't really wanna replace that damn thing again. Any help appreciated...I took the terminal off and sprayed it and the cord with WD40 and taped it all up and am charging my battery now...
Old 05-14-2004, 08:02 PM

I need your guys' help...Please help me!
Old 05-15-2004, 04:46 AM

Can anyone help a brother out...installing another alternator doesn't sound too fun today.

Edit: Went out this morning and my car didn't start, no surprise. But I have a question...it clicked once, and all my lights and stuff come on fine...could if be my starter? I installed the alternator maybe 2 months ago...so I don't think it coulda've crapped out on me already.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:41 AM
STFU n00b!

It could be your starter or alternator.

try this..
turn on your headlights, radio, wipers, etc...
now hit your horn.. if the headlights dim a lot, then the battery is going out (probably because of the alternator)
If it doesn't dim a lot, then the battery is in good shape, and it's probably the starter going bad.

OR.. you could simply drive your car to the parts store and have them test the battery and alternator in the car... it'll take 10 minutes to test.