3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Blocking off EGR

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 08:48 AM

Blocking off EGR

Has anyone blocked off their EGR. If so did it help, My friend did it to his car and said he gained a little, even though he has a Neon.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MethMax
Has anyone blocked off their EGR. If so did it help, My friend did it to his car and said he gained a little, even though he has a Neon.

Did that bump him up to 115 hp

Sorry, I had to, its a neon
Old 06-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

Blocking this function will cause your nox levels to raise and not pass emissions where it's level is tested. It also reduced the combustion chamber temps to help fight ping.

If your buddy got some measurable hp in the dyno, he must not have run at wot. Because at WOT or any low vaccuum conditions, the EGR valve is not operating.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I've blocked off my EGR valve. I was bored one day and decided to do it. Since I don't care about emissions, it was a little something I could do to keep the exhaust from entering my intake. Exhaust enters your intake and it will only make the carbon buildup worse, plus it will make the intake air hotter. But you should not see any measurable gains from doing this b/c like everyone has said, at WOT, it stops recirculating the exhaust back into the intake.

But like slammed95 said, when you're cruising, it will help emissions and gas mileage. So, would I recommend anybody doing this mod? NO. It won't make you faster!!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:42 PM
94c Big Max

for those that wanted to block off their egr valve are out of their minds!!! Not unless you own a gas station then go ahead cuz without a egr valve operating right, esp. blocking it will kill your gas mileage. For instance, mine is all clogged up right now and I am running at around 14mpg for local roads and 19mpg for hw. Certainly, watching my wallet burns ain't fun. I am sure you all feel that way too. The egr valves job is to let in wasted heat in order to add more pressures to drive your pistons. Thus, create more powers. If the egr valve is blocked or clogged, the car would have to burn more fuels in order to meet that 19/26mph standard level of efficency. Remember, what drives the pistons (the actual bad boys that drives your wheels) is heat. The more heats you get in your cylinder blocks, the more pressures will be created, thus you'll get more powers.

and also, it doesn't really matter whether you block the egr valve or not, your combustion chamber will always be producing smogs that will eventually gets into your manifold. not unless you change your piston seals, valve, etc... every 60K of mileage.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:56 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by bvtran
for those that wanted to block off their egr valve are out of their minds!!! Not unless you own a gas station then go ahead cuz without a egr valve operating right, esp. blocking it will kill your gas mileage. For instance, mine is all clogged up right now and I am running at around 14mpg for local roads and 19mpg for hw. Certainly, watching my wallet burns ain't fun. I am sure you all feel that way too. The egr valves job is to let in wasted heat in order to add more pressures to drive your pistons. Thus, create more powers. If the egr valve is blocked or clogged, the car would have to burn more fuels in order to meet that 19/26mph standard level of efficency. Remember, what drives the pistons (the actual bad boys that drives your wheels) is heat. The more heats you get in your cylinder blocks, the more pressures will be created, thus you'll get more powers.

and also, it doesn't really matter whether you block the egr valve or not, your combustion chamber will always be producing smogs that will eventually gets into your manifold. not unless you change your piston seals, valve, etc... every 60K of mileage.
I get 19-21mpg around the city and 26-28mpg on the highway. This is with it blocked. So your 14mpg is obviously not simply b/c of a clogged EGR.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:34 PM

how many miles do u get per tank?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:46 PM

well I know a lot of people talk crap about neons but they are actually a pretty good car I have a bunch of neon friends including a modded SRT-4 that runs mid to high 12's and a Turbo 99 RT that should run in the 11's when it's done.

But I was just checking to get some feedback o nit thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:47 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by thumpyls
how many miles do u get per tank?
I get about 300-320 per tank when driving around the city.

Meth, you just said a Neon is a good car? You drive a Maxima. The Maxima is on a whole different level than a Neon. My GF has a Neon and it's burning oil at only 90K miles!! Everything in the car just feels cheap. They don't make them as good as 3rd gen. Now, the SRT-4 is obviously a different kind of Neon. But take the cheapest 3rd gen ever made and it's freakin awesome!!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:20 PM

Yeah, I wasnt saying it was a better car, otherwise I wouldn't be driving a Maxima. But just saying people talk some crap not knowing some of their potential.

They always tell me to get a Neon but I just laugh, and say R U stu stupid. I love my Max even after all the probs I've had.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MethMax
Yeah, I wasnt saying it was a better car, otherwise I wouldn't be driving a Maxima. But just saying people talk some crap not knowing some of their potential.

They always tell me to get a Neon but I just laugh, and say R U stu stupid. I love my Max even after all the probs I've had.
Yeah, face it, you have an old car. But imagine if you had a 1989 Neon. haha I doubt it would even roll. Be glad you got a Maxima.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:43 AM
STFU n00b!

Ummm, the function of the EGR is to keep cylinder temps DOWN at part throttle by recycling some of the exhaust back into the engine to prevent the engine from sucking in only air and fuel. if it sucks in a bit of exhaust as well, it doesn't burn as hot, thus lowering combustion and overall engine temps.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:06 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

for those that wanted to block off their egr valve are out of their minds!!! Not unless you own a gas station then go ahead cuz without a egr valve operating right, esp. blocking it will kill your gas mileage. For instance, mine is all clogged up right now and I am running at around 14mpg for local roads and 19mpg for hw. Certainly, watching my wallet burns ain't fun. I am sure you all feel that way too. The egr valves job is to let in wasted heat in order to add more pressures to drive your pistons. Thus, create more powers. If the egr valve is blocked or clogged, the car would have to burn more fuels in order to meet that 19/26mph standard level of efficency. Remember, what drives the pistons (the actual bad boys that drives your wheels) is heat. The more heats you get in your cylinder blocks, the more pressures will be created, thus you'll get more powers. and also, it doesn't really matter whether you block the egr valve or not, your combustion chamber will always be producing smogs that will eventually gets into your manifold. not unless you change your piston seals, valve, etc... every 60K of mileage.
Without trying to start a arguement, I disagree with about 90% of what you just said. I've had my EGR blocked for almost a year now and I'm still getting 330-350 miles per tank on city driving. Yes EGR adds wasted heat (aka burnt fuel/exhaust) into the combustion chamber, but it's DOES NOT add more pressure on top of the pistons. The EGR system strickly an emission related item. And as stated you will not notice any noiceable gains with the EGR blocked off.

MIKE
Old 06-12-2004, 07:08 AM

i noticed a huge improvement from blocking my EGR..then again the valve was sticky, vac line was cracked and the exhaust feed tube wouldnt seal properly
Old 06-12-2004, 10:35 AM
STFU n00b!

Pat, you've got more problems though.. you won't see any difference when blocking off a properly working EGR.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Pat, you've got more problems though.. you won't see any difference when blocking off a properly working EGR.
true..i was just being a post wh0re
Old 06-12-2004, 06:36 PM
mod or sell?

dam, you mean fixing my EGR valve won't boost my 12mpg car to a 19 mpg car?

Maybe if I fix my right foot instead