3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

preferable e36 bulbs that don't burn....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:27 PM

preferable e36 bulbs that don't burn....

I bought the e36's which had the stock bulbs (55/65 I think). Soon after that, I bought some xenon's offline that said they were 100watts all around ( I don't know if they were), but they burnt wire harness slightly, not enough to keep the lights from working but it burnt it. I hate the normal lights, I just don't like them. I've been through so many pairs off ebay to know that a lot of them last for only awhile. Are there any type of xenons that have a reasonable amount of wattage/output that wo't burn the harness?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Silverstars are probably your best bet. I have some bulbs off of ebay, I think they are called XD5's. Only 20 bucks for the pair, and they have pretty decent light output. However, if the silverstars are in your price range, I would get those.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Im izz sexay

When you did the E36 mod did you upgrade your wire harness. Stock harnesses and wire can only handle about 65 watts max. 100watt bulbs will most definately burn the wires. If you want 100watt bulbs you can get an upgrade kit from mainly any major auto supplier(Pepboys, Autozone)
Old 06-16-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Silverstars are probably your best bet. I have some bulbs off of ebay, I think they are called XD5's. Only 20 bucks for the pair, and they have pretty decent light output. However, if the silverstars are in your price range, I would get those.
How much for these bulbs you speak of?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:48 AM

ah........

.....anyone else with any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:05 AM

My suggestion is to NOT use silverstars, especially if part of the reason you want to change bulbs is because you're tired of them burning out quickly. Silverstars are notorious for burning out.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....93#post3030693
I was thinking of getting a set to replace the recently burned out PIAA that came with my Max. when I bought it, but after doing some research have come to the colcusion that silverstars are a piece of junk. And not only because they give poor light in rainy/weather conditions, but they have a short lifespan. The blue filter on the bulb reduces the level of emitted light, so they overrun the filament to get the light level up to passable standards, consequenty reducing bulb life. Now I don't know what kind of sense that makes in terms of bulb performance, but it doesn't sound very smart to me. Of course, if you like that white colour, and aren't concerned about actual lumin strength or rain performance, then I guess silverstars are alright.

I'd go with Sylvania XtraVision or some similar form of high output halogen, that uses a gas inside the filament to help it burn brighter, and last longer, but doesn't use a filter that compromises light output. Most of the reputable bulb manufacturers make something like this. Also, those high wattage bulbs certainly aren't good if they're already burning your harnesses. If you want to stick with high wattage, best to redo your wiring with heavier gauge wires.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Creedence85
My suggestion is to NOT use silverstars, especially if part of the reason you want to change bulbs is because you're tired of them burning out quickly. Silverstars are notorious for burning out.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....93#post3030693
I was thinking of getting a set to replace the recently burned out PIAA that came with my Max. when I bought it, but after doing some research have come to the colcusion that silverstars are a piece of junk. And not only because they give poor light in rainy/weather conditions, but they have a short lifespan. The blue filter on the bulb reduces the level of emitted light, so they overrun the filament to get the light level up to passable standards, consequenty reducing bulb life. Now I don't know what kind of sense that makes in terms of bulb performance, but it doesn't sound very smart to me. Of course, if you like that white colour, and aren't concerned about actual lumin strength or rain performance, then I guess silverstars are alright.

I'd go with Sylvania XtraVision or some similar form of high output halogen, that uses a gas inside the filament to help it burn brighter, and last longer, but doesn't use a filter that compromises light output. Most of the reputable bulb manufacturers make something like this. Also, those high wattage bulbs certainly aren't good if they're already burning your harnesses. If you want to stick with high wattage, best to redo your wiring with heavier gauge wires.
So to use these "Sylvania XtraVision" bulbs would most likely need a stronger wire harness?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:29 AM

I think the XtraVivions will be fine with the factory wiring harness, because they're abotut he same wattage as factory, they're just designed to produce 20 percent more light (according to their documentation) than regular halogens. However, if they're already dammaged from previous bulbs then you may want to replace them, and if you're going to go to that trouble, you might as well use thicker wire while you're at it.