3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to fix the VE sporadic hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 08:24 AM

I know a lot of VE owners have been complaining about a sporadic power loss/hesitation problem. Basically sometimes the power is there, sometimes it's not. Well for me, the power was ALWAYS there when the engine was cold, but after completely warmed up and after driving a few miles, it would do the hesitation thing. So I investigated, and didn't have to go too far.

Basically all I've done so far was replace all my vacuum hoses, many of them were very brittle if not starting to crack already. I needed about 8 feet of hose to do all of them (I have a manual, so a couple extra hoses for the power valve mechanism)

That seemed to help a tiny bit, but the hesitation was still there. Next I suspected the engine coolant sensor. BINGO!

The sensor works fine, but it was quite corroded in the connection. So I attached a bit of sandpapr to a tiny flat head screwdriver and cleaned off the eletrical blades, then cleaned it up with water/baking soda. I let it dry thoroughyl and added some dielectric grease to the connection.

Been driving a day now, not one hesitation. Gotta love free fixes

BTW, next to the coolant sensor, there is a small one prong electrical sensor also in the coolant jacket. Anybody know what this is for?
Old 03-30-2001, 08:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Damnnit! Now I have to dig under my hood and clean that connector!! I hope it's worth about 10hp! hehe.

Yeah the red connector? I could be for the fans but I don't know.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are you talking about this one in my pic?
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/veeccs.gif

hit refresh once you are there
I can't tell exactly where the pic is pointing to though. Is it on the top or bottom of the engine?
thanks
Old 03-30-2001, 09:40 AM

Yeah it's the red connector that I had the corrosion in. I'm asking abut the small rectangular black connector right next to it. They are both on the front of the engine by the fuel pressure regulator (both near the throttle body).
Old 03-30-2001, 02:32 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmmm

I checked it using a Voltometer using directions from Chilton's manual, but I don't remember if there was any corrosion, I'm going to check it again sunday or when ever it stops raining here.. damn, I have way too many things to replace or check on my ****ing car!!
Old 03-30-2001, 03:34 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Craig, I tried hitting 'refresh' a couple of times, but no success. There's not anything wrong with the link, is there??
Old 03-30-2001, 08:46 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Interesting

Good to know. I will be doing a complete intake system mod in the future, maybe at that time I'll chnage the CTS and clean all connections. Let us (or me) know if the hesitation comes back, even so slightly. Free fix, can't beat that
Old 03-31-2001, 11:20 AM

RosenKen: You Da Man!

I checked my red connector today, and was very pleased to find a pile of white dust loosening itself as the connector freed. Carefully cleaned it off with sand paper, and I used some contact cleaner spray on the contacts and into the connector.

Presto, same result: No more hesitation. What a find.

I will, too, on next occasion replace the vacuum hoses, and probably check other sensor connectors as well.

What kind of dielectric grease is good to use? I am always afraid that in its effort ot stop corrosion, the grease (over time) may form a resistive shield between the connectors. Or is this not a concern?

Anyway, I am tickled pink with the result and I thank you for posting it. Your post gets my gem award for the year.

Cheers,
John
Old 03-31-2001, 02:21 PM

A charitable contribution will be humbly accepted, you can even claim it on your taxes if you want