3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

a small write up on air fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a small write up on air fuel gauge

Ok I know some of you were along with my self trying to hook up an air/fuel gauge And some certain person told us to look in the manuel and that is was pin #29. That aint easy to find. Well this is what I did and it was just as easy as going to the ecu.

Mount your gauge in the location that you want and run the signal wire through the fire wall near the steering collum (my self I had a whole their already that I ran my boost gauge tubing through ) Well if you come
out behind the master cylder you will run you wire straight across the top of the fire wall their are number of lines and other thing to use tie straps to strap to
. Now climb on top the engine and look straight down to the and on the rear motor mount you will see a plug with only three wires in it. (The only plug on the motor mount area) Drap you wire through their. Jack the car up and please
use a jack stand or some thing to surrport the car. Now go under the car and look at the o2 senser and follow the wires to this plug. Now the three wire are red white and black the red wire is a constant 12v the white is ground and the black wire is the signel wire the one in the middle. Take the wire that you drapped from the top of the motor and tap it in to the black wire. Now take a strap or too and strap the wire coming down to the loom that is going back up from the top plug on the motor mount so that it dont get to touch any thing. Now I did break open that loom to see what wires were in it and their is a large black wire that showed to be a ground and a smaller black wire that showed to be a signel wire and the black and green showed to be a constant 12v But I just ran the wire all the way to the o2 senser to be sure

This write up is to provide info on how to hook up the air fuel gauge but I asoom no responbilty for anything you break or harm your self in any way use at your on risk.

Sorry had to put that in there dont want to get suied or anything. But it worked for me. Had to figure it out on my on since Chris would reply But was no help at all.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:25 PM

i ran mine like that and it would read stocih/rich at idle then richen out and stay on the last light the whole time i was on the accelerator, perhaps because i ran my 12v switch to the same 12v switch as the radio so maybe i was picking up some interference, but i plan to run this next one to the ecu to get the best read possible until i can ****** me a wideband sensor kit like mark...$509 aint easy to come by
Old 08-25-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by boosted3rdgen
i ran mine like that and it would read stocih/rich at idle then richen out and stay on the last light the whole time i was on the accelerator, perhaps because i ran my 12v switch to the same 12v switch as the radio so maybe i was picking up some interference, but i plan to run this next one to the ecu to get the best read possible until i can ****** me a wideband sensor kit like mark...$509 aint easy to come by
I use a seperate 12v source If someone woukd tell me witch wire it was at the ecu I would run it their too. But realy you should be able to get good signel their also being that its soo close to the o2 senser
Old 08-25-2004, 07:06 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

mines like a great lightshow, LOL....however if you looked i already told people it was the black wire.....at any rate in still trying to hook up the oil pressure plumbing its MAD tight where the stock sensor is.....cant we just tap the stock sensor ??
Old 08-26-2004, 07:09 AM

thanks for the write up.
i'll remember this for when i get an a/f guage.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:30 AM
STFU n00b!

spell check? you heard of it? no offense man, but how did you graduate high school with grammar and spelling like that?

In that little writeup, I counted 23 misspelled words and countless grammar and useage errors.

Not trying to dog you man, but at least spend 30 seconds and cut and paste that into a spell checker before you post. here's a quick few.....

collum... column
whole <> hole
They drove their Maximas there
cylder.... cylinder
surrport .. support
senser... sensor
signel... signal
drapped... draped? dropped?
too <> two <> to
asoom ... assume
responbilty.... responsibility
suied.... sued

If I were looking to do this, I'd be VERY wary of using this write up on anything on my car simply for the fact I can hardly read it because of the misspellings. I wouldn't want to be taking directions from a 10 yr old on how to tap into wires that feed my ECU.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nice...always wants to see a dancing light show while i'm driving.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
spell check? you heard of it? no offense man, but how did you graduate high school with grammar and spelling like that?

In that little writeup, I counted 23 misspelled words and countless grammar and useage errors.

Not trying to dog you man, but at least spend 30 seconds and cut and paste that into a spell checker before you post. here's a quick few.....

collum... column
whole <> hole
They drove their Maximas there
cylder.... cylinder
surrport .. support
senser... sensor
signel... signal
drapped... draped? dropped?
too <> two <> to
asoom ... assume
responbilty.... responsibility
suied.... sued

If I were looking to do this, I'd be VERY wary of using this write up on anything on my car simply for the fact I can hardly read it because of the misspellings. I wouldn't want to be taking directions from a 10 yr old on how to tap into wires that feed my ECU.
you forgot one
manuel <>manual
Old 08-26-2004, 08:56 AM
STFU n00b!

hey, I'm not going to tell him everything!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
hey, I'm not going to tell him everything!
well Hey since I left high school I have forgot a lot of stuff.

BUT thats just like you to crack on people and once again to be no help.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's like a disco ball!

Originally Posted by DanNY
Old 08-26-2004, 10:08 AM
STFU n00b!

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime.

If you buy a service manual and have questions about something, I'll help you with them. If you are too lazy to even try and just want to some on here and ask for the veterans to hand out info, then I'm not even going to waste my time.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:26 AM

Someone at one point posted part of the ECU pinout and marked what wire to tap, I forget who though.....

Originally Posted by DanNY
I traded mine so I could have better handling
Old 08-26-2004, 11:39 AM
STFU n00b!

And it's still sitting where it belongs.. on a shelf in a box.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by silverlinekenne
well Hey since I left high school I have forgot a lot of stuff.

BUT thats just like you to crack on people and once again to be no help.
chill man...
i used to argue a lot with people on here. especially jeff. sometimes matt.
but i've come to realize that everyone here is so sarcastic that you kinda have to take your verbal beatings every now and then. the longer you're on here, the more you'll see that these guys are alright, jacka$$es, but still cool people. once people here recognize your user name and see that you help other people out instead of just asking for help, they'll respect you and gladly answer your questions when you need help your ride.
some people on here get too defensive, i was definately one of them but now i take the punches and dish them out from time to time so really, it's all good.

man.....i'm so high
Old 08-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by -shock211-
chill man...
i used to argue a lot with people on here. especially jeff. sometimes matt.
but i've come to realize that everyone here is so sarcastic that you kinda have to take your verbal beatings every now and then. the longer you're on here, the more you'll see that these guys are alright, jacka$$es, but still cool people. once people here recognize your user name and see that you help other people out instead of just asking for help, they'll respect you and gladly answer your questions when you need help your ride.
some people on here get too defensive, i was definately one of them but now i take the punches and dish them out from time to time so really, it's all good.

man.....i'm so high
drugs are bad