3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Check engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 11:55 AM

Check engine

The rainy days have done something to the car. Can you guys help?????

Tuesday, I had to cross a flooded street, the flooding was not that extreme, probly about 2” of running water. I crossed it okay but after about 10min in the fwy, engine light went on and off and on and off again intermittently. Then it felt like the engine choke for a few seconds, like it was going to stall – no accel while stepping on the gas. Then it run okay again but during that entire drive. The CEL keeps lighting up when I’m coasting to a stop or at stop, but when I gas it to accel, the CEL goes away.

Wednesday morning, I started the car, CEL stayed on for a few minutes, I think when the engine warmed up, it went away. CEL probably went on again about 4 to 5 times the entire day but no choking this time.

Today, I started the car again this morning and same thing, CEL was lit up for a few minutes then went away, but when I was on the frwy now, it went on & off again a few times. Then there’s that choking/stall sput-sput-sput symptoms again. This time it lasted longer. The car would not pickup, no accel. I keep pressing the gas but not hard gas though, then a slight jolt and started running fine again.

i will try to get an ECU code today….but you guys have any idea what went wrong?

ps. sorry for the long post.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2 inches??? Only things I can think of that hang low enough to come in contact with water AND possibly cause this problem would be the starter, the alternator and the O2 sensor. I would suspect the O2 first, then the alternator. Was there ever a spot that the water would have come up to the bottom of the engine? If not, then perhaps your problem is just coincidental - cause I don't see how 2" of water would do anything? Unless you were driving through it fast that is...
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 PM

thx for the reply!

this is what i have observed, constantly happening.

when i start the engine, the CEL will go on after a few seconds and will stay lit for awhile, even during driving. but ONCE the CEL goes off (turns off), thats when the choking, sput-sput-sput problem appears. if the CEL lits up again, the runs fine...what gives???

do you think the 02 sensor is still the culprit???
Old 10-24-2004, 04:59 PM

The ECU stores the information about stuff like that for like 50 cranks of the ignition so diagnose the ECU see if you get any codes. its not the alternator or the starter cuz alternator only provides electricity to your car and if it was a bad alternator your car would drain the battery, if it was the starter and its not disingaging from the fly wheel then you would hear a horrible screetching noise.

my car would not catch any speed when my distributor was not timed right so check maybe a wire is loose, or sparkplug are wet, check for vacum leek in throtle, also check o2 censor
Old 10-25-2004, 11:25 AM

i did the diagnostic yesterday morning and its giving me a 33 code and it is the 02 sensor.

internetauto, i placed an order yesterday morning!

hopefully this will fix the problem otherwise, i'll be back posting again...ehehehe