3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Questions about my Gen 3, Im a newb to the maxima's

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004 | 11:11 AM

Questions about my Gen 3, Im a newb to the maxima's

Had a few questions about the car, Im a newb to these cars but always liked them but wanna get some things fixed on this one to make it a little more enjoyable to drive.

Has an exhaust leak, from what I have been told this was a problem with this gen of Maxima's, any idea's on where to start looking?

My power door lock's are not working...I hear a clicking in the dash when I hit the button, I know there is a relay for the locks and it's a 15 dollar part from autozone but any opinions on if this is the problem?

Also recently the car is shifting harder when going in to passing gears...I have only put about 6k of the 150k miles on the car and this is a relatively new problem. Has anyone had any success with changing the filter and fluid and using a product such as lucas transmission fluid to get more miles out of this transmission? I have tried doing flush and fills on previous car's I have owned(2 chevy trucks) and both dumped the transmissions within 1000k miles of doing the flush and fill....

Any help or advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated, Just found the site today and have been reading every post since and decided to register. Thanx again for the help.

Matt
Old 10-26-2004 | 11:51 AM
Im izz sexay

1) http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
2) Most likely to be a window regulator. cost around 40-50 internetautomar can help with the lowest prices.
3) Tranny might be going out the door. Check it's resistor (located somewhat below the air filter. If that's broken then you're in luck) Looks like a glass cylinder thingy. Kinda small too. If you are getting a flush get a complete flush to get the metal particles out the tranny. When you drain and fill the particle are gathering in on location causing it hard to do it's job.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:15 PM

I do have a window in-op and it is the regulator, saw on one of the website's(chrisbrake??) the how to, will probably tackle that this weekend or next, doesnt look too hard. Will check the resistor for the tranny this afternoon as well, thanx for the heads up on that...any ideas on the door locks though?

Also my car is equipped with the keypad entry and if I open my trunk before unlocking my driver door the alarm starts going off, I found a brain to an aftermarket unit under the dash but it is unplugged and has no power running to it....any suggestions or would this possibly be remedied when the power door locks are fixed...????? thanx again for the suggestions!!!
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is a very recent thread about door lock timers. Check back a page or two and the answer is there.
Old 10-26-2004 | 12:39 PM

1. where exactly is ur exhaust leak?
2. look over the thread about the door lock timers.
3. i've used Lucas Tranny lubricant and it worked for a good while then both my automatics blew after that and then i converted my car to a 5-speed recently. but do the complete flush and fill just like was mentioned on here and just drive around and check the resistor while ur at it as well.
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:07 PM

As for the door locks, the problem is most likely your door lock timer. It's a pretty common problem on these cars

Check out this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=345762
Also, my name is Craig Brace, not chrisbrake
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:15 PM

hey Craig how much did u pay for ur HUD at the junkyard??? im still tryin' to find one down here where i live. u think if u can find one and let me know and i'll buy it off of u???
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:16 PM

I looked over the above mentioned thread and I dont have any of the aforementioned symptoms....mine just dont work period...nothing happens when I insert the key and turn except unlocking the 1 door I am opening....I have to manually unlock the rest of them. Do you still think this is the door lock timer?
Old 10-26-2004 | 01:40 PM

dirty max - sorry, I guess that thread didn't really mention the symptoms like I thought it did and is more concerned with the fix. There are tons of threads every couple weeks on it, but you cant search unless you donate so that suck.

Anyway, yes, that is your problem. When you press the lock/unlock, you'll hear the clicking coming from the timer but nothing happens. Resolder it and it'll work again.

grnmax - it took me over a year to find this one at the junkyard. And I already have a couple others waiting in case I do find any more so sorry. I ended up paying about $40-50 total for all the parts for HUD
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Maxima
Has an exhaust leak, from what I have been told this was a problem with this gen of Maxima's, any idea's on where to start looking?

Also recently the car is shifting harder when going in to passing gears...I
probably one or several exhaust studs are broken. and the gasket around the manifolds may be near non-existent. check both. it is common. i just put headers on and found broken studs with exhaust leak.... again.

tranny is probably low on fluid. change out fluid completely. if fluid gets too low, a sensor in the tranny will cause the ECU to flip out, at the very least can screw up your electrical system/ alternator.
Old 10-27-2004 | 05:16 AM

thanx again for all the usefull information, wil be doing oil change/tranny fluid change this weekend if it isnt storming, also I'll look into the timer box, that would be a great fix, although I may end up trying to mail it to one of you guys...I'll let you know anything I find.