3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 08:43 AM

engine rebuild questions

this one goes out to anybody who has done an engine rebuild on their max. i am mos def gonna do a rebuild on my 90 gxe and i was looking for some insight and direction on where to get parts and where to go with the rebuild. i have heard to just buy a new motor because the ve isnt worth rebuilding, but i dont have the money for that and this rebuild is for school anyway so i need to rebuild. was looking to increase power a little bit and this is what i had in mind:

port and polish the heads
valve job (can vg30e engine valves be interfaced or do they have to be replaced??)
i was thinkin of boring it out a tad too but im not sure of that but what could i do about getting pistons and whatnot

the only issue with money is expensive parts, like if i were to get new pistons and valves and whatnot. other than that im just lookin for some insight and direction from people who have done it, had it done or know somebody who has.

thanks
Anthony
Old 11-18-2004, 08:48 AM
mod or sell?

I sell ALL the parts necessary for a rebuild. Heck I think I can even get motors complete (not used)
Old 11-18-2004, 10:23 AM
No turbo, no care!

FIRST you need a factory service manual, from nissan not a Chiltons. Yes its expensive (IIRC ~$120 new), but its the ONLY way you will accomplish this.

Secondly, if you could explain what is wrong with the engine because there are many parts that you may not need to replace, and a semi-complete rebuild could easily run you over $1500 in parts alone
You can get pistons and rings from Nissan (~$400), which are avalible in oversizes 10 over and 20 over. Im sure Internetautoguy can get them cheaper, but at such small oversizes you wont see any performance gain. Only bore the block if the walls arent true. Just get new rod and journal bearings ($175) and rod caps ($50) for the bottom end.

Assuming you valves are in good shape, you can regrind them yes. Your lifters will probably need to be replaced however and arent cheap ($300)

Port and polish may provide you some gains if you are experienced in this area, but I'm not so I cant really help you.

There are many many little parts you will need like gaskets and head bolts, etc that will add up quickly.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by masssmail
Secondly, if you could explain what is wrong with the engine because there are many parts that you may not need to replace, and a semi-complete rebuild could easily run you over $1500 in parts alone

------nothing is really wrong wrong wit the engine, its just old and like i said i need to do a rebuild for class and this is the only car i have so why not.------

Just get new rod and journal bearings ($175) and rod caps ($50) for the bottom end.

------why do i need new rod caps, wouldnt they be alright to reuse, and also if i get new caps then ill need to get new rods cause they wont match up if i dont------

thanks for the help.............keep it comin
Old 11-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I sell ALL the parts necessary for a rebuild. Heck I think I can even get motors complete (not used)

can you get the single overhead for an 89 max? and if so, how much?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I agree...why new rod caps? they should be fine unless there was some catastrophic failure. if anything new mains and rod bearings
Old 11-20-2004, 03:47 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ianuzzi
can you get the single overhead for an 89 max? and if so, how much?
yes I can get it $1500 plus whatever shipping may be.